PDA

View Full Version : tricky chickens

Noxangelo
2020-04-19, 04:20 AM
what 8 tricks to teach my magebred chickens?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-04-19, 04:36 AM
Assist Attack (and it's prerequisite tricks), so they can mob your enemies, working together to grapple them into submission. All will kneel before the unrelenting tide of poultry.

And Fetch, because that mental image is also pretty funny.

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-19, 10:57 AM
I think you can train them to perform teamwork benefits as a trick. Mass charge or spell caster guardian seem fitting

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-19, 11:10 AM
Not a trick for your chickens, but a trick for yourself: Take a level in commoner along with the Infested With Chickens flaw, then go cleric. Between greater consumptive field to boost your Str score and caster level and the Fell Animate and Destruction Retribution feats, your Fell Animated GCF undead chickens can learn how to swarm enemies and then explode.

Gives a whole new meaning to "hen grenades."

Vizzerdrix
2020-04-19, 02:34 PM
Not a trick for your chickens, but a trick for yourself: Take a level in commoner along with the Infested With Chickens flaw, then go cleric. Between greater consumptive field to boost your Str score and caster level and the Fell Animate and Destructive Retribution feats, your Fell Animated GCF undead chickens can learn how to swarm enemies and then explode.

Gives a whole new meaning to "hen grenades."

Add a bit of bard for DFI. Spicy chicken.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-19, 03:12 PM
Add a bit of bard for DFI. Spicy chicken.That's what you awaken your original eight chickens for. Have several of them take a different energy type for Dragonfire Inspiration, with another taking levels in marshal, and so on.

Vizzerdrix
2020-04-19, 09:41 PM
That's what you awaken your original eight chickens for. Have several of them take a different energy type for Dragonfire Inspiration, with another taking levels in marshal, and so on.

Hmm... We can go further. Not only do we awaken a few, but take them through stoneblsessed so they can grab the goliath barbarian levels. Now we have large raging chickens.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-19, 09:44 PM
Hmm... We can go further. Not only do we awaken a few, but take them through stoneblsessed so they can grab the goliath barbarian levels. Now we have large raging chickens.At least one artificer that specializes in potions and alchemical items made from eleven secret herbs and spices...

Noxangelo
2020-04-20, 03:33 AM
lol, the hen grenades need an eternal wand of explosive runes.
and maybe a one use item of that fire spark spell from CS i think

animewatcha
2020-04-20, 10:15 PM
The hen grenades need to be blessed in a holy place of Antioch.

nijineko
2020-04-21, 09:16 AM
at least one needs to have hulking hurler and warhulk, that one can be the colonel.

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-21, 10:30 AM
What stat block are you using for these chickens?

Srd suggests raven. Google suggests using that but change flight speed to 10 or glide 20 or use dnd wiki.
https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Chicken_(3.5e_Monster)

Magebred adds 2 AC. Possibly 4.

Assist attack from complete adventuter can use aid another on you or flank. That's +16 to your attack roll. Get power attack! If they are crab clan chickens, this goes up to +4 apiece, but you'll need stewardship over their feat selection. You need the attack trick to select assist attack.

Masters of the wild is 3.0. But it has the armor feat. Mud armor is free and requires a (dc 10) survival check for a +1. That's cheap!

No reason not to shell out for full plate though. These things aren't damage dealers. Remember, you half armor AC bonuses for tiny critters. You also halve the cost. Full plate is 750 for a +4 to ac, chain shirt is 50gp for +2, mammoth leather is 22.5gp for +2 (races of stone) splint mail is 100gp for a +3. Add spikes or razors for +50 gp.

If you can find a permanent size bonus to get them to medium, you can train them as warbeasts. Gaining an HD and +3 constitution.

Teamwork training has joint bullrush.

Task Leader Prerequisite: Improved Bull Rush.

Benefit: To perform a joint bull rush, all the team members involved must ready the bull rush action until the turn of the member with the slowest initiative. Then all the bull rushing team members move to their target at the same time and make a single bull rush attempt using the Strength bonus of the strongest team member. Each additional team member involved in the joint bull rush applies his or her Strength bonus (minimum +1). The team members must end their movement adjacent to one another, and they all provoke attacks of opportunity from the defender (although the defender can only make a single attack unless he has the Combat Reflexes feat).

Source: Dungeon Master's Guide II
Heroes of Battle

See that minimum +1? If your team leader has an 18 str, they get their normal +4 for strength to the bullrush check inadditio to the improved bullish +4. But the 8 chickens? They get the team leaders +4, and they add their strength (-4) minimum +1. So they get +5 to their check.

If you're a fighter, at level 6, you could take all of the above and wolfpack from races of the wild. You can get your chickens to flank and assist you. Meaning that on round 1, your crab clan chickens give you +16 or +32 to your attack. Remember that tiny creatures can share squares and if their 3 size categories smaller, they can move through opponents squares with no AoO. You power attack for 6. Next round, you can use a full round attack and have a free action bluff check that you add damage dealt as a bonus. Now they can't target your chickens.
Or you can drive back, using a full round attack that moves them 5 ft. Combined with the chickens, and the teamwork trick, those chickens can just keep shoving them around.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-21, 10:37 AM
Add the titanic template, from MMII. 25 HD, Gargantuan size, and really, really inexpensive for the price. Grab shrink collars from the A&EG. They're reduced to Small size but keep all the other stats.

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-21, 11:00 AM
Handling the chickens is a move action dc10, but you can take a -20 to handle them as a free action, at level 6 with a 14 charisma you have a 9 ranks +2 mod +2 magebred, which means you need to roll a 17 or higher per free action attempt. That's a 20% chance per chicken. More if you get a beast tamers circle soulmeld or skill focus.

If half of your chickens take open minded for 5 skill points, 1 or more of which are in handle animal, you can teach them the teamwork benefit skill assist of you have skill focus handle animal. That's +2 apiece to your handle animal check for each one that makes the dc 5 check to assist you.

thorr-kan
2020-04-21, 05:46 PM
https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/thorr-kan/Demotivators/Uplifted%20Chicken.jpg
Honestly, this should be an animated gif, with the sound made by Chicken-Boo, from the old Animaniacs show, when people discover he's a chicken.I'll show myself out...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-21, 06:09 PM
https://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/thorr-kan/Demotivators/Uplifted%20Chicken.jpg
Honestly, this should be an animated gif, with the sound made by Chicken-Boo, from the old Animaniacs show, when people discover he's a chicken.I'll show myself out...Titanic magebred chicken.

Though I prefer magebreaded chicken, myself. Preferably with dipping sauce.

The prestidigitation really does wonders for flavoring.

Noxangelo
2020-04-22, 07:54 AM
lol, as hilarious as this is, assist attack is just 2 (edit: forgot it needed the attack trick first) of 8 tricks i can teach them and i still need tricks for general adventuring beyond just combat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-22, 12:11 PM
What can your character do? I mean, if you're a spellcaster, you could have your chickens Aid Another on your Concentrate checks...

A/S/L? Race, class(es), spells (if any), feats, skills?

Quertus
2020-04-22, 05:46 PM
Is there any way to get the chickens to Aid Another on an Incantatrix's Spellcraft checks? A Diplomacer Diplomacy check? A True Namer's checks? I really don't know which would be sillier to try to visualize, tbh.

Endarire
2020-04-23, 02:11 AM
What about teaching them to gamble? Entertain for money? Become Half-Slaad and take the Sand Shaper class so you can be a Chicken Slaad Sand Witch!

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-23, 02:25 AM
What about teaching them to gamble? Entertain for money? Become Half-Slaad and take the Sand Shaper class so you can be a Chicken Slaad Sand Witch!With Weapon Focus: Miracle Whip.

Endarire
2020-04-23, 02:55 AM
A whip that casts miracle? Seems overboard, just like the rest of this build!

Noxangelo
2020-04-23, 04:22 AM
the idea is a minion master, so he will be focused around getting and boosting pets, familiars and animal companions. so at this point im thinking dragonmarked druid of house vadalis with as many as i can fit of obtain familiar, wild cohort, draconic steed, dragon cohort (maybe, an especially tricky one in an eberron setting) and a goal of getting into PC's like beast master and such.

edit: link to this miraculous whip please.

animewatcha
2020-04-23, 06:36 AM
Don't know what kingdom of loathing is, but there is an entry for it.

https://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Miracle_whip

Vizzerdrix
2020-04-23, 06:54 AM
Don't know what kingdom of loathing is, but there is an entry for it.

https://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Miracle_whip

Aaaah good ole KoL. It was a sight to behold back in its hay day. I miss it something fierce.

Listen to me, cluckin like an old hen! On to the build!

I highly recommend some eggshell grenades to give the fowl flock a few rounds at the start of a fight.

Noxangelo
2020-04-23, 07:52 AM
could magebred chickens use eggshell grenades?

gorfnab
2020-04-23, 08:16 PM
https://www.elitereaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/chicken-attack-1-758x398.jpg
You should know that a man with the power of nature
Can bring you to the end of your luck
And you should know by my stride and the look in my eye
That you're about to be massively forced to give up!

Chicken attack!

Endarire
2020-04-24, 12:27 AM
Is this meant as an anti-Link character?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5q-rl_xHK4