PDA

View Full Version : Weak magic item idea

No brains
2020-04-19, 05:10 PM
Pitching an idea for a weak magic item. A pair of +1 daggers that when both of them hit on the same turn, a rogue wielding them can trigger sneak attack, even without advantage/concealment (even with disadvantage?). I figure this is something that looks nice without being too strong, especially since rogues are balanced with sneak attacks every round in mind.

Depending on how I develop this idea, they also might be decent curse bait. "I have disadvantage, but if I hit both attacks, I'll win! Oh no! I was too aggressive! My hubris!"

I'm also trying to think up something similar with a monk weapon. Maybe a shortsword that if it is used in a flurry of blows and three attacks land, they get their ki point back.

Opinions?

JNAProductions
2020-04-19, 06:50 PM
Feels fine to me. Though being +1 doesn't really scream "weak" to me.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-04-19, 07:04 PM
Feels fine to me. Though being +1 doesn't really scream "weak" to me.

It's not even that, it's a pair of +1 weapons with bonus effects. Do they require attunement?

A rough comparison can be made with Bracer of Flying Daggers, this gives you two magical dagger attacks as an action so long as they're thrown. Worse in some aspects (your bonus action must be used for the second attack) but better in others (+1, able to be thrown or used in melee, can potentially sneak attack on a long range throw with the bonus).

Not that rarities are entirely indicative of an items power but I'd consider it a Rare item, not exactly game changing but not exactly insignificant. That said the item seems fine, I'm just being a bit pedantic about classifying it as "weak".

NorthernPhoenix
2020-04-20, 06:56 AM
+1 Weapons are always powerful, but the secondary effect seems fine.

moonfly7
2020-04-20, 07:49 AM
Gonna have to second that any player wouldn't ever call a plus 1 weapon with additional bonuses "weak". Other than us being picky about the title though the dagger is fine. It's not game breaking and if I was a PC rogue I might forget they do that on occasion because it's useful but it won't come up every time I attack.

No brains
2020-04-20, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the perspective. Interesting that trying for slightly underwhelming left me with something still strong. Either way, I'm glad my instincts did not give me something OP. I may reconsider the +1 or I may balance it against a curse.

moonfly7
2020-04-20, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the perspective. Interesting that trying for slightly underwhelming left me with something still strong. Either way, I'm glad my instincts did not give me something OP. I may reconsider the +1 or I may balance it against a curse.
I mean I wouldn't call it strong. It's just not weak. Keeping in mind they're still daggers and I'd take a normal +1 rapier over them any day. It's more of an "oh cool that's neat" ability. Considering that rogues can only sneak once a turn anyways, and they have so many ways to do it, I don't think you'd need to balance it with a curse.

Lunali
2020-04-20, 08:41 AM
You have to remember that even a weapon like a moon-touched sword has an additional "hidden" property, it counts as a magical weapon.

Democratus
2020-04-20, 09:47 AM
You could have them be magical, without the "+1" bonus.