PDA

View Full Version : Help!? Flying Knife Golems

Zolga909
2020-04-20, 09:03 AM
A long time ago I saw something like what I want but I can't find it so I'm asking for help.

What I want to make is a dozen adamantine knives into tiny flying Holmes to fight and defend me so I can just fling spells at all the insignificant worms before me!!!!!.

Or use them as a trap for annoying assassin's.

Maybe put out spells on them that go off when they stab someone?

Other things?

Oh heat metal spell when ever they touch an enemy weapon of armor! Ha half a dozen heat metal spells on some poor idiot in heavy armor HA.

Psyren
2020-04-20, 10:23 AM
You could start with the Cloud of Knives spell from PHB2, and then research a variant that can use an adamantine dagger as a focus instead of a silver one.

Zarrgon
2020-04-20, 11:41 AM
As to construct swarms, there's a Tool Swarm in Dungeon 147 pg 29 and the Golem Swarm from Dragon 309 pg 28 and the the Shredstorm from Monster Manual 3.

D&D_Fan
2020-04-20, 07:56 PM
In 5e there are already animated daggers. Link (https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#animated%20knife_egw)

PopeLinus1
2020-04-21, 01:43 AM
In 5e try animate objects, and heat metal.

LordCdrMilitant
2020-04-22, 03:44 AM
Animate Objects in 5e on a brace of knives will give you 10 flying knives that attack like knives but you have to concentrate on it.

You could also get multiple knives with the Dancing property. [Each one would be 128000 GP in Pathfinder]

Coventry
2020-04-22, 08:28 AM
A long time ago I saw something like what I want but I can't find it so I'm asking for help.

What I want to make is a dozen adamantine knives into tiny flying Holmes to fight and defend me so I can just fling spells at all the insignificant worms before me!!!!!.

Or use them as a trap for annoying assassin's.

Maybe put out spells on them that go off when they stab someone?

Other things?

Oh heat metal spell when ever they touch an enemy weapon of armor! Ha half a dozen heat metal spells on some poor idiot in heavy armor HA.

How long ago are you talking about?

I remember an article in Dragon Magazine about Tasselhoff Burrfoot's dagger ... and an associated short story. It was actually a sentient being trying to kill him (and failing miserably at it). This was maybe 30 years ago?

halfeye
2020-04-22, 12:20 PM
There are flying knife AIs in the Culture (far future) novels.

Joe the Rat
2020-04-30, 02:19 PM
Your edition will matter, but Animate Objects is a way to a temporary swarm of stabby hijinks

In 5e there are already animated daggers. Link (https://5e.tools/bestiary.html#animated%20knife_egw)
It's kind of funny - the animated knife is a flying murder blade, but the attack option isn't stab.

It's Dagger.

Oh sure, the obvious interpretation is that it, as a short blade, is attacking by running into things. But it's a knife. Clearly, the animated knife flies up, pulls out a dagger, and stabs you with it.

It's also a pity they just copied the animated armor mental stats. Compared to the ones you animate (via animate objects), these knives are not the sharpest.