PDA

View Full Version : For Fun: Help me Spec my Circle of the Shepherd Druid for Level 8+

CrazyNumbersMan
2020-04-20, 07:14 PM
This is mainly because I enjoy thinking about these things.

#Character Summary
Race: Hill Dwarf

Cantrips: Produce Flame, Infestation (flavor appropriate, yes it's weak), Mold Earth (auto-trench building)

Stats:
Str: 13
Dex: 14
Con: 19
Int: 13
Wis: 18
Cha: 13
(the DM used a very liberal stat system)

AC: 16
Feats: Resilient Con
Magic Items: Healer's Staff, Mantle of Spell Resistance

Level 7 currently, all druidic levels.

#Focus:
1. Shepherd-all about those animal/fey/elemental summons
2. Healer with unicorn totem/bear totem
3. Druidy mostly non-concentration stuff

#Three pathways:
**Option A:**
Level 8 ASI: +1 Con +Wis
Level 9: Barbarian for 19 AC (shield + Dex + Con)
Level 13 ASI: Observant for +1 Wis for 20 WIS.

**Option B:**
Level 8 ASI: +1 Con +1 Dex
Level 9: Barbarian for 19 AC
Level 13: +Resilient(dex) for 20 AC and robust dex/con/int/wis saves, advantage on all spell saves, strength saves IF I rage (unlikely). Note also that CHA saves are against spells almost always.

**Option C:**
Level 8: +2 WIS
Level 9: Barbarian for 18 AC? Mayyybe.
Level 12/13 ASI: War Caster feat, or maybe dex feat, or maybe magic initiate feat with cleric for sacred flame (60 ft range) and sanctuary (go fight my summons, not me).

NOTE: I did the math and in the long run +resilient(con) is better than war caster, especially given my high CON, which is why I'm not running out and grabbing war caster. Also, the mantle of spell resistance gives advantage to all saves against spells, including concentration.

That said adding war caster is a definite great choice. The reason why it's not high priority is since I have a great con save, I would just rather not allow the damage to even occur instead of being able to withstand the concentration check.

#Options Summary

**Option A** maximizes my wis, eventually, and brings in the semi-useful observant feat (my DM is using passive tests) along with a solid AC.

**Option B** maximizes AC, but more importantly, makes it very hard to take me down with any spells/traps/effects along with a very solid AC (prof in dex/con/wis/int saves).

**Option C** maximizes my spell attack/DC, which is usually the best path, but in this case I am focused on keeping my conjures up and running/healed and it leaves me with an easy enough to hit DC (perhaps I could grab a +1 shield to be fair).

Thoughts? Other options? Would love to hear opinions on this I enjoy thinking about these things.

pr4wn
2020-04-20, 07:46 PM
All good options. I can tell you have already put a lot of thought into this.

Are you completely sold on Barbarian? If so, how high were you going to go? Just a 1 level dip, or until you get extra attack?

If not completely sold on Barbarian, here is a hair-brained idea...

Divine Soul Sorcerer to 3rd level and then pick up Inspiring leader. You get:

Metamagic to double the duration of your summons to 2 hours.
Access to the Aid spell to add more hitpoints to your summons (which can be healed).
Ability to add temporary hitpoints with Inspiring leader.
Extra 2d4 to a failed save once per short rest.

You would need to summon your horde before battle to stack all of this, but with the duration of the spell being increased, it shouldn't affect your ability to have them in play for battles.

I know it doesn't really add to the flavor of a druid, but if you want to make it all about the summons and make them as tanky as possible...

-pr4wn

CrazyNumbersMan
2020-04-20, 09:58 PM
All good options. I can tell you have already put a lot of thought into this.

Are you completely sold on Barbarian? If so, how high were you going to go? Just a 1 level dip, or until you get extra attack?

If not completely sold on Barbarian, here is a hair-brained idea...

Divine Soul Sorcerer to 3rd level and then pick up Inspiring leader. You get:

Metamagic to double the duration of your summons to 2 hours.
Access to the Aid spell to add more hitpoints to your summons (which can be healed).
Ability to add temporary hitpoints with Inspiring leader.
Extra 2d4 to a failed save once per short rest.

You would need to summon your horde before battle to stack all of this, but with the duration of the spell being increased, it shouldn't affect your ability to have them in play for battles.

I know it doesn't really add to the flavor of a druid, but if you want to make it all about the summons and make them as tanky as possible...

-pr4wn

I like how inventive that idea is and it definitely has powerful perks making those summons super beefy, I just can't see it being worth the higher level spellcasting for 3 levels.

Was definitely seeing one level barbarian for the unarmored defense attribute. Rage might rarely come into play unlike moon druid.

Option A and B are geared towards keeping the summons alive by keeping my concentration checks solid (high AC, dex save proficiency) while option C is geared toward, traditional needs of a druid which still apply to my spellcasting while my summons are out.

You're absolutely on point though about the basic theme here-keep those conjured allies alive and ticking.