PDA

View Full Version : Guide to making classic versions of classes

Rfkannen
2020-04-20, 07:27 PM
Not sure how useful other people will find this, but I made it so I might as well share it! I often find myself regretting that I forgot a key tenant of a class when I make my character, and make someone who doesn't fit their class very well by accident. So I made this guide for myself to make character's who are archetypal. Or if I choose to make someone who is non-archetypal, to be aware of it and do it on purpose.

Tell me what you think! Do you disagree with any of my ideas? Any more you would add? I was able to come up with a lot more for classes I have actually played lol. So any ideas on what to add are very welcome!

Artificer:

Smart: of course they use intelligence, but some of their latter abilities seem to really play into role-playing the smart one.

Barbarian:

Big. You are strong, look and act like it!
Raw power: as opposed to a fighter’s training, you work on pure godlike power, be the person who lifts mountains and does athletic stuff.
Primal: a lot of barbarian abilities are very animalistic or instinctive, play someone very in touch with their primal self. Could be in an druidy way, or just more in a they act on their instincts kind of way

Bard:

Trickster: Bards have a LOT of illusion and enchantment spells, be sure to be someone who would use those
Support: Bards have inspiration and healing, be someone who can give spotlight to others as well as take it. Either in a “ill write there story way” a leader way, or some other way

Cleric:

Channel and summon: a lot of cleric spells feel like you are bringing your god’s power or servants to the world, be a conduit to your god
Healing: Not all clerics have to be healers, but you will be expected to heal, figure out your relationship to it.
You are at least a little warriory: don’t forget even light clerics have medium armor and simple weapons

Druid:

Seek the balance: be one with nature, you can literally turn into it
Be from nature: treat animals like people, with your spells youll be dealing with them a lot
Do not fully understand the ways of society, fish out of water

Fighter:

Normal base: You get to be a normal person who gets to fight dragons!
Figure out something out of combat: You don’t have many utility features, find something to do. My favorite is to make a keep and conquer people, gain political power
Training: you aren’t just any old gaurd, how did you learn to fight? Who taught you?

Monk:

Quest for perfection: have overly high standards for your own action. A lot of monk abilities feel you are trying to be something more than humanoid.
Fish out of water: don’t understand the outside world

Paladin:

THE QUEST; paladin’s have conviction build into the class, live by them!
Classic knight: you know you want to, be a knight, do it!
Healer and smiter: Paladin’s have good offensive and support abilities, lean into both
Inspiration: you make people better by just being near them, make someone who that would be true for

Ranger:

Be a hunter: ranger’s really feel like hunting is there main thing, be someone who does it

Rogue:

Lack of respect for person property: the party may want you to steal stuff. Works well if you do
scout: party will also expect you to scout ahead, what type of person does that?
Be careful: rogues are about placement, be someone who acts tactically
Slippery: You are hard to hit, why? Maybe you are hard to pin down as a person?

Sorcerer:

Pride: You are charismatic and have natural magic powers, act like it!
Innate magic: Your magic is a part of you, make it a core part of who you are and use it as you would any muscle.

Warlock:

ANGST: warlock is a good place for angsty character, but characters who don’t want their powers are boring, instead make a character who WANTS their powers, but does not want the consequences of them
Ambition: they made a pact in the first place, they want SOMETHING
Good eldritch blast flavor: Look your going to be doing it a lot, find a way to make it fun

Wizard:

Ambition, you have learn spells, want them
Smart: wizards act best when they play smart, play someone smart