PDA

View Full Version : Optimization So, I wanna build Sailor Saturn in 3.5

Tria
2020-04-21, 02:18 AM
But I need help. Also, I'm not allowed homebrew, Flaws from Unearthed Arcana allowed. My biggest issue is I can't finesse a glaive and I tend to run Dex for AC builds.

NontheistCleric
2020-04-21, 03:59 AM
If you could somehow turn yourself into a Keeper (Fiend Folio) using an ability that allowed you to gain its extraordinary special attacks, you could then use its Mimic ability to create a natural weapon that resembled a glaive. Since natural weapons are always considered to be light and thus eligible for Weapon Finesse, this would solve your problem, although as a natural weapon, you wouldn't be able to make iterative attacks with it and it would physically a part of your body (although the Keeper illustration implies that you can at least make them look somewhat separate from your hands), which might or might not be problems depending on the rest of your character concept.

Additionally, it comes with the downside of looking like a bald, pale humanoid with no eyes, which might be a bit of a problem if you're trying to be Sailor Saturn. However, this can be easily overcome by being a changeling or taking a level in the Psion (Egoist) class with the ACF that gives you the changeling's Minor Change Shape ability (Mind's Eye, Expanded Classes, Part 2 (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a)), which will allow you to disguise yourself back into Sailor Saturn.

However, this runs into two issues: One, that the most common ways of changing shape, the Metamorphosis and Polymorph powers, don't allow one to become an outsider (the Keeper's type) unless one is already an outsider. This limits us to outsider-type races, so your best bet for no level adjustment might be a Neraphim (Planar Handbook) or a Savage Progressions Aasimar or Tiefling (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). Alternatively, depending on how accepting your DM is of cross-setting material, the previously mentioned Changeling could use Racial Emulation (Races of Eberron) to qualify for Otherworldly (Player's Guide to Faerun), something normally impossible but doable with flaws.

The second problem is that both those methods replace your physical ability scores, so all that Dex-optimization is getting completely wiped out. Therefore, we need to take a more esoteric route to getting the form we want. First, start as one of the outsider races. Then Alter Self yourself into a Malaugrym (Monsters of Faerun, update for 3.5 online (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a)), use either Metamorphic Transfer or Assume Supernatural Ability (Savage Species) to gain its Change Shape ability, then turn into a Keeper using that. Since neither Alter Self nor Change Shape modify your ability scores, you get to keep your Dex score.

Another possibility is that the existence of the Keeper technically means that a natural-weapon form of almost any manufactured weapon could be said to exist, in which case a level of Warshaper would be all you need to grow yourself that natural 'manufactured' weapon - in this case a glaive. Works best with Changeling, as the class feature only functions while shapechanged, so simply keeping up a Sailor Saturn disguise at all times (since Changelings do not look like Sailor Saturn) would allow you to get this 'glaive' whenever you wanted.

Tria
2020-04-21, 04:19 AM
She doesn't have to look like Saturn per se, but I like the power set and glaive.... Trying not to get a super high LA. Warshaper looks cool.... The problem with natural weapons is that I can't enhance them like a "real" weapon. Also, Keeper?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-04-21, 04:50 AM
Being incorporeal lets you use Dex for any weapon, since you don't have a Str score. So the easiest way is a level in the Ghost Savage Progression with a Ghost Touch glaive.

Also, have you considered the Warlock class? Eldritch Glaive is fantastic, and targets touch AC, so you wouldn't have to focus on Str as much.

Last but not least, Shorten Grip is a feat from Dragon Compendium that lets you attack adjacent foes with a polearm (for a slight penalty).

Tria
2020-04-21, 05:25 AM
Interesting idea. Tossing thoughts back and forth with a friend on Discord, current plan is try to get the DM to let me take a Pathfinder feat. Also want healing spells to balance the Healing and death/destruction. Considering lesser assimar for race.

spear-elven-branched
bladed-brush-combat
polearm-dancer-combat
(Can't post links)

*Takes a look at warlock*

Hm.... Trying to avoid necromancy.... Dead should stay dead.... She's not suppose to be evil.

Wait, I was looking at a homebrew.... OOoohhhh.... I like. Lesser Aasimar warlock.... A simple build

nijineko
2020-04-21, 09:12 AM
She doesn't have to look like Saturn per se, but I like the power set and glaive.... Trying not to get a super high LA. Warshaper looks cool.... The problem with natural weapons is that I can't enhance them like a "real" weapon.

Actually you can enhance natural weapons if you have enough money. Necklace of Natural Attacks, from the Savage Species book.

ixrisor
2020-04-21, 12:35 PM
Actually you can enhance natural weapons if you have enough money. Necklace of Natural Attacks, from the Savage Species book.

It doesn’t actually cost any more than enchanting a normal weapon - 300gp+enhancement cost vs 300gp for masterwork+enhancement

ShurikVch
2020-04-23, 11:50 AM
Wasn't Sailor Saturn able to one-shot the world, and come back to life unaided?
If yes - then wouldn't it be in "major divinity" area?