PDA

View Full Version : Complete list of familiars obtainable through Find Familiar?

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-21, 08:05 AM
I'm aware that there are two or three separate kinds of familiar in 5th ed: those from the Find Familiar spell; the special arrangements you can strike with some creatures as specified in their entries; and the additional creatures that specify they can be summoned with Find Familiar and may or may not behave differently from the typical familiars in that spell, as defined in their entries. (I'm not including in this list Pact Warlocks, which would be a fourth kind.)

What I'm looking for is a complete list of creatures across all these three types and which category they belong to, and which sourcebook they're in. Has anyone already compiled such a list?

Cheesegear
2020-04-21, 08:21 AM
Complete List? ...I don't know. But I do have this one...

Find Familiar
Bat
Cat
Crab
Frog/Toad
Hawk
Lizard
Octopus
Owl
Poison Snake
Quipper
Rat
Raven
Seahorse
Spider
Weasel

Find Familiar (Volo's)
Cranium Rat
Crawling Claw
Gazer
Imp
Pseudodragon
Quasit

Find Steed
Warhorse
Pony
Camel
Elk
Mastiff

Find Greater Steed (Xanathar's)
Griffon
Pegasus
Peryton
Dire Wolf
Rhino
Saber-Toothed Tiger

Contractable Monsters (MM) - Sorted by #Hit Dice
Hippogriff
Griffon
Owlbear
Pegasus
Manticore
Nightmare
Unicorn
Displacer Beast
Chimera
Wyvern

Dragons*

*Hit Dice too hard to sort.

Volo's has a number of 'contractable monsters', but I haven't put them into my list.

Millstone85
2020-04-21, 08:29 AM
those from the Find Familiar spellIn the spirit of being complete, that's the bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, and weasel.

the special arrangements you can strike with some creatures as specified in their entriesI know the gazer, imp, pseudodragon, and quasit, can be convinced to become familiars.

the additional creatures that specify they can be summoned with Find Familiar and may or may not behave differently from the typical familiars in that spell, as defined in their entries.I am not familiar (pun!) with any such creature. Or are you referring to the NPC sections of the MM and VGtM, which say that any Tiny creature can be summoned with find familiar? These sidebars give the cranium rat, crawling claw, gazer imp, pseudodragon, and quasit, as examples, but it technically allows a demilich familiar. :-p

da newt
2020-04-21, 09:19 AM
Any "tiny monster" (MM/volo's variant rule) opens up a bunch of things not already listed (depending on DM's interpretation):

Pixie
sprite
Quickling
Faerie Dragon
flame skull
homunculus
intellect devourer
slaad tadpole
stirge
will-o-wisp
badger
flying snake
scorpion
velociraptor
neogi hatchling
vargouille

Some of these would be fun to mess with, but some are also probably OP (especially the demilich).

Lunali
2020-04-21, 09:27 AM
A few that are explicitly listed as being available with DM permission:
Almiraj
Flying Monkey
Tressym

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-26, 05:04 AM
Wow, thanks everyone, this is great.

Interesting that there don't seem to be any celestial familiars available?

Lunali
2020-04-26, 08:22 AM

Likely because the lowest level celestial is CR 2, but it should be noted that familiars get their type changed to the caster's choice of fey, fiend or celestial. Arguably you could even have an imp or quasit celestial familiar, presumably being a celestial spirit that you chosen to put in that form.

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-26, 08:42 AM
Likely because the lowest level celestial is CR 2, but it should be noted that familiars get their type changed to the caster's choice of fey, fiend or celestial. Arguably you could even have an imp or quasit celestial familiar, presumably being a celestial spirit that you chosen to put in that form.

That's true of those called by the spell, but not contracted creatures, of which I was hoping there would be a celestial option, is all.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-29, 08:18 PM

That's because there are barely any celestials in the first place. 16 in total, with 6 being from Ravnica, 1 from Eberron. 9 from non-setting specific books (and even out of those, 1 is from an adventure). It's why Conjure Celestial kinda sucks, as there are exactly 2 available options: pegasus and couatl (though the later is pretty good). If you upcast it with 9th level slot, you can add unicorn to the list.

Mr Adventurer
2020-04-30, 03:09 AM
Hmm, yes. I guess I'm just thinking of the Lantern Archons from 3.5 and their sibling minor celestials you could get as familiars.

Lunali
2020-04-30, 06:44 AM
That's because there are barely any celestials in the first place. 16 in total, with 6 being from Ravnica, 1 from Eberron. 9 from non-setting specific books (and even out of those, 1 is from an adventure). It's why Conjure Celestial kinda sucks, as there are exactly 2 available options: pegasus and couatl (though the later is pretty good). If you upcast it with 9th level slot, you can add unicorn to the list.

On the other hand, if you have a DM that insists on choosing what you summon and is less than helpful with what they choose, limiting options like that may be a good thing.

Mr Adventurer
2020-05-30, 09:42 AM
Summons are weird that way.

On familiars, what's the most intelligent one you can get? So far, I've seen that Tressym have Int 10.

da newt
2020-05-30, 10:53 PM
For which rule/list?

I think this is about as good as it gets:

For those listed in the PHB spell - INT = 3 is the max
For Chain Warlocks - INT = 14 Sprite
For anything tiny - INT = 20 Demilitch