PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hijacking a Navigation Orb: What would you try?

Zhorn
2020-04-21, 09:36 AM
So the scenario is you know about Cloud Giants using Navigation Orbs (SKT magic item, big orb that cloud giants use to fly their castles). You want one. What do you do, and how would you go about getting it to work?

So for context; my character has an interest in Airships. More so than that his interest is in magically enhanced airships that are better that the standard small ship + blimp hybrid of the classic fantasy trope. His long term campaign plan is to secure an airship, then get to work enhancing it with upgrades and enhancements, overcoming its weaknesses and just generally making it better.

Two key areas would be: Cargo capacity (1 ton + 10 crew + 20 passengers)
Method of lift (big fragile balloon)

The Cloud Giants have these two things solved with their cloud castles. Giant sized stone fortresses suspended by magic. That's a lot of tonnage and volume, along with not having an easily attack-able balloon on top as it's sole form of remaining suspended in the air.

I'll need to somehow secure an orb (steal, buy, make, etc), then work out how to get it to work on a ship instead.
DM fiat, they get to choose what method will work or not, but they can't just tell me what to do. I need to sell them on an idea for them to allow to work.

Looking for ideas. Doesn't need to be 100% RAW compliant, more like lore-adjacent or thematically-feasible. Something that a reasonable DM could hear and think "yeah... that sound like it should work... approved"

TigerT20
2020-04-21, 01:19 PM
My last elaborate plan ended with my charcter being torn apart by an owlbear after being cornered by goblins. So take this with a pinch of salt. (I also haven't read STK so this is based purely off what you've said)

1. Get half of your party to entertain the cloud giant, posing as guests or whatever
2. The other half try to sneak in while it's distracted
3. They get a good lay of the land, and locate the orb.
4. They report back somehow, and try to get the rest of the party near that location
5. Once the rest of the party is nearby, they send out the panic signal and try to take the orb
6. Everyone finds something to hold onto as the castle plummets to the ground.