PDA

View Full Version : Shadow monk... can I afford a feat with these stats?

Magicspook
2020-04-21, 10:09 AM
Greetings,

In an upcoming campaign I am going to play a shadow monk. Because of backstory reasons, I want the character to have the healer feat (she used to be a surgeon). But I am unsure whether my stats allow it; while it it nice to have so many high stats as a monk, having a 15 as maximum number scares me (I have an aversion to low main stats ever since my first wizard character had 9,10,10,10,13,14). Should I go ahead with the feat or take an ASI instead?

It is important to note that my table has done away with racial ability scores, instead we have a +3 we can spend on ability scores or feats as we choose.

my stats at level 3:
STR 11
DEX 15
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 14
CHA 11
+healer feat

next level, I plan on taking the gnome racial feat from Xanathar's which gives me +1 DEX and lets me go invisible, so I'd have 16 DEX at level 4.

your input is much appreciated. Thank you!

nickl_2000
2020-04-21, 10:12 AM
Greetings,

In an upcoming campaign I am going to play a shadow monk. Because of backstory reasons, I want the character to have the healer feat (she used to be a surgeon). But I am unsure whether my stats allow it; while it it nice to have so many high stats as a monk, having a 15 as maximum number scares me (I have an aversion to low main stats ever since my first wizard character had 9,10,10,10,13,14). Should I go ahead with the feat or take an ASI instead?

It is important to note that my table has done away with racial ability scores, instead we have a +3 we can spend on ability scores or feats as we choose.

my stats at level 3:
STR 11
DEX 15
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 14
CHA 11
+healer feat

next level, I plan on taking the gnome racial feat from Xanathar's which gives me +1 DEX and lets me go invisible, so I'd have 16 DEX at level 4.

your input is much appreciated. Thank you!

Sure you can afford that as a half-feat. If you were going full ASI you would either get another stat to odd or you would be improving str/int/cha (all stats that aren't that important to a monk).

It sounds like a really good plan to me on what to do at level 4.

DrowPiratRobrts
2020-04-21, 10:16 AM
Sure you can afford that as a half-feat. If you were going full ASI you would either get another stat to odd or you would be improving str/int/cha (all stats that aren't that important to a monk).

It sounds like a really good plan to me on what to do at level 4.

Yeah I agree.

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-21, 10:25 AM
my stats at level 3:
STR 11
DEX 15
CON 14
INT 13
WIS 14
CHA 11
+healer feat
Is that after you assigned the 3 points, or before?

Magicspook
2020-04-21, 10:42 AM
Is that after you assigned the 3 points, or before?

After. My stats were 11, 11, 13, 14, 14, 14 before the 3 points were assigned. I figured the 1 point I had left was best suited for DEX since my 3 main stats (DEX, WIS, CON) were covered.

stoutstien
2020-04-21, 11:15 AM
Fade away is pretty handy for anyone and seeing how it's rounding out Dex it seems like a good move for lv 4.