PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get the inspiration from my character name, Raza Vers?

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-21, 09:41 PM
Its a two part thing. Especially the 2nd part I thought would be pretty common but no one has mentioned it in the group.

Maybe its too obvious? Too arcane?

Kitten Champion
2020-04-21, 10:02 PM
Race towards?

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-04-22, 12:57 AM
Nobody here is going to get it unless you give us a bit more information about the character. There are after all so many names and words in the world that just calling a character after your favorite Batman villain and an authentic Italian pasta recipe does not make for a very funny reference unless the character is an evil chef or something like that.

PopeLinus1
2020-04-22, 02:17 AM
Its a two part thing. Especially the 2nd part I thought would be pretty common but no one has mentioned it in the group.

Maybe its too obvious? Too arcane?

Narrow it down for us. Is is a pun? Is it a reference to a character? Is it from the fantasy genre? Is it something a dnd player would know about?

Eldan
2020-04-22, 02:47 AM
Hm. Without reading the other answers first, just looking at the words...
Raza could be a heavily accented pronunciation of "razor". Alternatively, "race" or "breed" in several Latin languages. I mainly know it as "la raza", from Spanish, where it has additional connotations, but I don't think you mean those.

Vers is the German spelling of "verse", as in a subunit of a poem or song. Or it might be "-verse" as in universe, as is often used in fandom for a game world, e.g. the Potterverse. Or it's a form of "versus" in Latin and Romantic languages, meaning "towards".

Hm. Together, it might be a pun on "averse". Race averse? Raza as in "race" as in "racing", as in "racing towards?"

No, I don't think I get it.

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-24, 12:37 AM
OK. It was contrived then if no one got it.

I guess I could turn it into a game of sorts if that seems fun.

1 My character has no memories of her past.

2 Her backstory actually involves her helping the bad guys.

3 Its two separate names put together.

4 The first is from modern sci-fi. I thought for a moment on here especially with the lock down EVERYONE would be very familiar with every show. This wasn't the most well known though. Our local DM got me watching the show so there is hope he'll get it.

5 The last name comic/super hero derived.

6 The movie was a big hit.

That help at all? How many clues did it take

Kitten Champion
2020-04-24, 01:00 AM
It's the hero ship's name from Dark Matter and Captain Marvel's pseudonym during the first half of the movie.

Though without any of that associated context asking what inspired your word choice is somewhat needlessly opaque.

Psyren
2020-04-24, 08:20 AM
It's the hero ship's name from Dark Matter and Captain Marvel's pseudonym during the first half of the movie.

Though without any of that associated context asking what inspired your word choice is somewhat needlessly opaque.

Yeah, that.

So, what do we win?

Ason
2020-04-24, 08:53 AM
At first glance, I thought it was a reference to the reverse card from Uno (https://i.imgur.com/BwrWj2hg.jpg), since Raza Vers sounds vaguely similar. I imagine an Uno reverse build would center around reflecting spells, stealing spells, or some kind of weapon riposte thing so you can reflect your enemies' attacks back at them while yelling "Reverse! Reverse!" ala the Cha Cha Slide (https://youtu.be/wZv62ShoStY?t=189).

But now I think Kitten Champion probably has the right answer.