PDA

View Full Version : Player Help PC Death: Help in picking a new character

tmjr6
2020-04-21, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

As it sometimes happens, my transmutation wizard unfortunately died due to a bad run in with some undead. Some quick notes, we're using point buy for this campaign, but any official options are on the table. My party is a Valor Bard, Cavalier Fighter, Mastermind Rogue, and a Divine Soul Sorcerer. My wizard primarily filled the role of crowd control and buffing the rest of the party. Would love some ideas for a new character. Thanks!

MarkVIIIMarc
2020-04-21, 10:33 PM
Ever try the new artificer?

Monk and a Rogue would make for some interestingness.

pr4wn
2020-04-21, 11:04 PM
What level are you starting at?

How strange do you want to get?

I like strange characters. I think a Lizardfolk Druid, Circle of Spores would be a lot of fun. With point buy you could start with:

STR: 14
DEX: 14
CON: 16
INT: 9
WIS: 14
CHA: 8

That would give you an AC of 17 (with just a shield), 11 HP, and with Shillelagh a magic weapon, at level 1. I would look at the Lizardfolk tactics from "The Monsters Know What They Are Doing" for ideas. You can do pretty good minionmancy and stay with the Lizardfolk feel using "death noodles" (poisonous snakes) and "murder logs" (crocodiles) once you get to 5th level.

"Symbiotic Entity" helps with your durability and "Fungal Infestation" adds to the minionmancy. You can also animate dead for even more friends.

If that is too far out for you or your group, you could try the following:

Stout Halfling:

STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 14
CHA: 8

Ranger/Gloomstalker, then Rogue/Assassin, then a couple of levels of Fighter (second wind and Action Surge) then back to Ranger and Rogue.

If you go to 10th level (5 Ranger/3 Rogue/2 Fighter), you will have a massive round one nova in combat, whether you want to do it up close or from range.

-pr4wn

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-22, 07:45 AM
Valor Bard, Cavalier Fighter, Mastermind Rogue, and a Divine Soul Sorcerer.
If buffing is still your idea, I'd try a cleric. Any cleric.
They have some decen buff spells (Bless never gets old).

Since you originally went with Wizard, suggest an Arcana Cleric from SCAG. You get a few extra cantrips and you can grab some wizard spells (like haste) at later levels.

Here's my suggestion: You have a bard and a sorcerer, so you can dump Cha.
Hill Dwarf. S 10 D 14 C 14 (+2) I 8 W 15 (+1) Cha 8 (As a dwarf, wearing armor wont' slow you down if encumbrance is a rule). The D 14 is for initiative and for +2 to your medium armor. Since you are looking to be a support class, you don't really need a melee weapon. You have a couple of melee fighters already: Valor Bard and Cavalier. Spiritual weapon is your go to for when you really need a melee attack that the others can't handle.
Make sure you take Guidance as a cantrip to help the others do stuff. As far as attack cantrips, I'd consider Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp.

The other idea I'll put forward - totally your call - is a multi class between Rogue (Scout) and Ranger(Hunter).
When you put sneak attack on top of hunters mark on top of collossus slayer, you can get some interesting damage spikes. But, that combo platter doesn't rally come on line until you get Ranger up to level 3.

tmjr6
2020-04-22, 09:51 AM
What level are you starting at?
-pr4wn

We're level 4 currently.

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-22, 10:31 AM
We're level 4 currently.
While I would consider War Caster at this point, my gut suggestion is to get Wisdom to 18 and WC at level 8. (For the arcana cleric above) if you are still interested in a support caster idea.

Anyway, best wishes. :smallsmile:

pr4wn
2020-04-22, 12:40 PM
We're level 4 currently.

It depends on what roll you want to have. Also, are feats allowed? If you want to go the roll of non-standard healer, you could grab the Healer feat and use healer's kits to provide healing. With Variant Human, you could grab this and still get an ASI/Feat on any class you want.

I would still look at the Lizardfolk Druid. Decent battlefield control, some additional healing (always nice), and at level 5, Conjure Animals comes on-line for crowd control. If you have a permissive DM, summon critters with pack tactics and send them off in pairs. You can get 8 velociraptors that paired up give you 16 attacks with advantage spread across 4 targets. Even if they go down easy, the enemy still has to spend actions taking them down.

If I was playing a Lizardfolk, I would do it like "the Warrior" from Dead Lands. Fallen enemies provide ready meals and you don't have to spend time foraging for food...

Another option that comes with the Druid is "Cook and Book", otherwise known an Heat Metal. Your Bard may have already picked this up, but being able to "Cook and Book" multiple foes is never a bad option. If you don't know what "Cook and Book" is, I would highly suggest Zee Bashew's YouTube video on Heat Metal.

-pr4wn