PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Poll: Ability Score Aggregates

BurgerBeast
2020-04-21, 11:47 PM
This is purely an intellectual exercise to pass the time. Supposing that each of the six ability scores could be paired off with each other, how would you describe the resultant aggregate score?

Here are my thoughts. I feel more confident in some than others.

Str + Dex: Power
Str + Con: Might
Str + Int: (Leverage?)
Str + Wis: ???
Str + Cha: Presence

Dex + Con: Coordination/Aim
Dex + Int: Cunning
Dex + Wis: Balance
Dex + Cha: Grace

Con + Int: (Intellectual) Rigour
Con + Wis: Heart/Resolve/Perseverance
Con + Cha: Comeliness

Int + Wis: Diplomacy
Int + Cha: Influence

Wis + Cha: Poise

CheddarChampion
2020-04-21, 11:55 PM
I say Dex + Con = Agility.

Dienekes
2020-04-22, 12:23 AM
How I would do it.

Str+Dex= Speed
Str+Con= Might/Health/Body
Str+Int= Technique
Str+Wis= Drill
Str+Cha= Presence
Dex+Con= Aerobics
Dex+Int= Finesse
Dex+Wis= Reaction/Precision/Aim
Dex+Cha= Elegance
Con+Int= Rigor
Con+Wis= Perseverance
Con+Cha= Unflappability/Put togetherness/Social Endurance/Poise
Int+Wis= Acuity
Int+Cha= Diplomacy
Wis+Cha= Self Esteem/Assuredness

BurgerBeast
2020-04-22, 01:21 AM
How I would do it.

Str+Dex= Speed
Str+Con= Might/Health/Body
Str+Int= Technique
Str+Wis= Drill
Str+Cha= Presence
Dex+Con= Aerobics
Dex+Int= Finesse
Dex+Wis= Reaction/Precision/Aim
Dex+Cha= Elegance
Con+Int= Rigor
Con+Wis= Perseverance
Con+Cha= Unflappability/Put togetherness/Social Endurance/Poise
Int+Wis= Acuity
Int+Cha= Diplomacy
Wis+Cha= Self Esteem/Assuredness

What do you mean by Drill?

HappyDaze
2020-04-22, 01:28 AM
What do you mean by Drill?

It obviously means Str + Wis...

That's the problem with defining new terms that are really just placeholders for two (or more) existing terms.

BurgerBeast
2020-04-22, 01:50 AM
It obviously means Str + Wis...

That's the problem with defining new terms that are really just placeholders for two (or more) existing terms.

That doesn’t answer my question.

{scrubbed}

Spoiler Alert:

The abilities are already placeholders that represent two or more things, {scrubbed}. This doesn’t change the fact that the words have meanings.

{scrubbed}

I’m asking what drill means, in this context, because it presumably doesn’t mean the power tool. Based on context.

{scrubbed}

SpawnOfMorbo
2020-04-22, 02:06 AM
This is purely an intellectual exercise to pass the time. Supposing that each of the six ability scores could be paired off with each other, how would you describe the resultant aggregate score?

Here are my thoughts. I feel more confident in some than others.

Str + Dex: Power
Str + Con: Might
Str + Int: (Leverage?)
Str + Wis: ???
Str + Cha: Presence

Dex + Con: Coordination/Aim
Dex + Int: Cunning
Dex + Wis: Balance
Dex + Cha: Grace

Con + Int: (Intellectual) Rigour
Con + Wis: Heart/Resolve/Perseverance
Con + Cha: Comeliness

Int + Wis: Diplomacy
Int + Cha: Influence

Wis + Cha: Poise

Dex + Wis should be Aim.

Dienekes
2020-04-22, 10:07 AM
That doesn’t answer my question.

{scrubbed}

Spoiler Alert:

The abilities are already placeholders that represent two or more things, {scrubbed}. This doesn’t change the fact that the words have meanings.

{scrubbed}

I’m asking what drill means, in this context, because it presumably doesn’t mean the power tool. Based on context.

{scrubbed}

Jeez, that’s a lot of red out as a response to someone’s joke.

I meant drill, as in terms of routine or weapons drill. The act of performing the same physical action to the point it becomes second nature, a part of you that you can perform without thinking about it.

HappyDaze
2020-04-22, 11:24 AM
Jeez, that’s a lot of red out as a response to someone’s joke.

I meant drill, as in terms of routine or weapons drill. The act of performing the same physical action to the point it becomes second nature, a part of you that you can perform without thinking about it.

Muscle memory?

Darc_Vader
2020-04-22, 12:01 PM
I might call Con+Int Focus instead of Rigor. Maybe Proprioception for Str+Wis, but that’s a bit of a stretch.

HappyDaze
2020-04-22, 12:39 PM
I might call Con+Int Focus instead of Rigor. Maybe Proprioception for Str+Wis, but that’s a bit of a stretch.

Con + Int = Sanity?

Wavyhill
2020-04-23, 06:46 AM
You might want to check-out Runequest (& similar games) - they actually do this for groups of skills.

Joe the Rat
2020-04-24, 07:45 AM
We've had some of these before.

Str+Con = Fortitude
Dex+Int = Reflex
Wis + Cha = Will

If the stats are interchangeable for a feature, the pairing can carry the same name.

But the real question, are you naming these after what the abilities mean in common parlance, or what they mean in game?
And which part do you want it to match? Because Dex+Wis = Don't touch that, the ability to carefully judge body position and maintain balance is completely on brand. (Though given the love of using legacy names to maintain IP, we should probably call it Rope Use or some such.)

BurgerBeast
2020-04-24, 03:21 PM
We've had some of these before.

Str+Con = Fortitude
Dex+Int = Reflex
Wis + Cha = Will

I suppose you’re right about this, but it has a different feel to me. I want to say that Strength and Constitution contributing to fortitude is not quite the same as Fortitude being defined as or by the combination of those two things.

If the stats are interchangeable for a feature, the pairing can carry the same name.

Yeah, maybe. Same as above. I’m not sure. Like the Barbarian’s Unarmored Armor Class is determined by Dex and Con, but I’m not sure they carry the same identity. It seems to me that they contribute to AC in different ways (evade/absorb).

Same with Reflex. It seems to me intelligence help with noticing/anticipation and dexterity helps with the evading.

[Edit: maybe those are the same thing. I really haven’t thought it through fully.]

But the real question, are you naming these after what the abilities mean in common parlance, or what they mean in game?
And which part do you want it to match?

Sort of a best fit for how these traits, as defined in the game, would combine to form other traits. Inspired by the underlying concepts, but to ultimately inspire mechanical applications in-game.

Because Dex+Wis = Don't touch that, the ability to carefully judge body position and maintain balance is completely on brand. (Though given the love of using legacy names to maintain IP, we should probably call it Rope Use or some such.)

I’m not quite sure what you mean? Are you saying don’t change it from Balance? If so, cool. I feel pretty strongly about that one, too.