PDA

View Full Version : When DM becomes player

Desteplo
2020-04-22, 07:57 AM
Been DM for years and finally I get to be a player.

Group is unoptimized and this will probably be a long running game. I have 26+ characters I’ve been wanting to play that I’ve already generated

How does one choose a character when the DM says “there’s no wrong answer”

Part of me wants to just roll percentile dice... but how do you narrow down your choices when the group and communication fails to

4 players
So far hexblade warlock, ranger/sorcerer, alchemist artificer, and me with analysis paralysis

KorvinStarmast
2020-04-22, 07:58 AM
Been DM for years and finally I get to be a player.

Group is unoptimized and this will probably be a long running game. I have 26+ characters I’ve been wanting to play that I’ve already generated

How does one choose a character when the DM says “there’s no wrong answer”

Part of me wants to just roll percentile dice... but how do you narrow down your choices when the group and communication fails to

4 players
So far hexblade warlock, ranger/sorcerer, alchemist artificer, and me with analysis paralysis
You all need a melee fighter, so dig up your favorite Paladin or Fighter or Barbarian idea.
I'd suggest Paladin, Vengeance.

Cheesegear
2020-04-22, 08:18 AM

Looks like you need someone in Heavy Armour that can maybe spot heal when required:

Cleric (Life, Nature, Tempest, War, Forge)
Paladin (Anything except Redemption)

nickl_2000
2020-04-22, 08:21 AM
4 players

Ranger/Sorcerer? That's an odd combination, but hey whatever.

Paladin from above is a good suggestion.

I would personally go with a Dex based Arcana Cleric. You can stand firm in combat, hit well with booming blade, healing, and buff your allies.

Desteplo
2020-04-22, 08:31 AM
I mean we have an alchemist. They’re healers by nature. We won’t need that much more healing

The ranger/sorcerer: again... unoptimized group but he is divine soul and picked up a heal. With a con of 10 we want to get him of an amulet of health ASAP Though

Hexblade: I helped him make the character. So it’s at least decently stated... talked him down from having charisma as his lowest stat that he would gradually grow with ASI... he picked good spells though and he’s starting with a 14dex/con and 18 charisma. Hooray for half elves

In terms of armor.. 17 vs 18 AC? Grand scheme and the way the DM is setting up the setting that won’t play that huge a role (open world casual)

It’s at the point where I could probably play a 4 element monk and probably still outshine the rest of the group. Nothing wrong with 4e, it’s actually on my list. But I have others I want to play just as much.

There lies the problem

J-H
2020-04-22, 08:33 AM
Pick based on story, not build. What's going to fit and be a fun characterization to play?

firelistener
2020-04-22, 08:43 AM
I second the notion of picking primarily based on story rather than build. Or at least just whatever build you think will be fun. I've been running games for years and have only gotten to be a player about 5 times ever, and playing characters with fun personalities was more fun than anything else to me. My favorite was the big dumb barbarian because I could just rush everything in combat and roleplaying was funny.

Conversely, the character I played with a more elaborate backstory wasn't as fun for me because I didn't get to explore it with the group and no one else really cared to read his backstory. So you probably don't want to pick characters like that unless you're prepared to be let down a little.

Tanarii
2020-04-22, 08:44 AM
1) Remember, rulings not rules. Otherwise you will be the worst rules lawyer ever when the DM makes rulings.
2) Whatever players used to do that annoyed the heck out of you don't do that. Min-Maxing, wrote-a-book backstory, edge-lords, funny voices, drunk scottish dwarves, agonizing over combat choices, whatever it was.
3) When you go back to DMing, remember what you found fun, and do that. And didn't find fun, and don't do that. DMs often lose sight of what makes an enjoyable play experience.

Oh wait, that wasn't the question. :smallamused:

Demonslayer666
2020-04-22, 09:20 AM
Talk to the DM and find out what "there is no wrong answer" means. If they are like me, and it sounds like they are, they will adjust the difficulty of the game to the party structure and play style.

If that is true, then play the character you think will be the most fun. If you can't pick, then do the coin flip. If you are worried you will pick the wrong one regardless, talk to the DM now about switching characters later on if you aren't having fun, then there really is no wrong choice. :smallcool:

Switching gears from DM to player is a difficult one for me. My table tends to turn to me for rules knowledge, and I have to learn to hold my tongue and let the DM handle it, and only speak up when they ask for help, or they are obviously struggling.

TigerT20
2020-04-22, 12:17 PM
1. Roll 3d6 for stats until you get a 3
2. Pick Orc
3. Be a wizard
4. Put the 3 in Intelligence
5. Go Enchantment Wizard
6. Pick only damage dealing spells
7. ???
8. Profit

Seriously, as a DM who has lots of character ideas, I feel your pain. Lots of people are pointing out you want someone in the front line, so I'll go along with that and recommend -contrary to advice above - Redemption Paladin. Pick Gith, and use a longsword two-handed. Maybe even take 3 levels of Warlock for Blade Pact (GOO would be thematic, or you could pick... *sigh* Hexblade)

TL;DR: Be Obi Wan Kenobi.

Lyracian
2020-04-22, 01:33 PM
I would agree; sometimes you have to just fill in the gap when more casual players are all set on there favourite rather than looking at building a coherent whole.

It does look like melee fighter is missing. Put you top six in a list and roll a dice. These would be mine.
1. Monk
2. Wood Elf Dex Battle Master
3. Lawful Stupid Devotion Paladin
4. Swashbuckling Elditch Knight Fighter/Rogue for max ASI.
5. Vengeance Paladin
6. Dwarf Battle Cleric

da newt
2020-04-22, 01:51 PM
Read through your prepared characters until one of them makes you smile - play that one.

Don't worry about optimizing the build or the party composition - pick the character that you will enjoy being. Then if you suffer an unlucky death or TPK, awesome - now you get to play one of your other creations.

RedMage125
2020-04-22, 01:58 PM
1) Remember, rulings not rules. Otherwise you will be the worst rules lawyer ever when the DM makes rulings.
2) Whatever players used to do that annoyed the heck out of you don't do that. Min-Maxing, wrote-a-book backstory, edge-lords, funny voices, drunk scottish dwarves, agonizing over combat choices, whatever it was.
3) When you go back to DMing, remember what you found fun, and do that. And didn't find fun, and don't do that. DMs often lose sight of what makes an enjoyable play experience.

Oh wait, that wasn't the question. :smallamused:

And yet, it's the first thing I also thought of when I read the thread title.

The hardest thing about being a DM who gets to be out from behind the screen and play is watching another DM do things differently than you would.

But as for PC choice, I recommend the OP go with either Paladin, as suggested, or perhaps some variety of Rogue. That could also be fun.

prabe
2020-04-22, 02:16 PM
It sounds as though the DM is willing to live with whatever character you bring, so I'd pick the character that you most wanted to play--even with 26, there's probably one that stands out. If more than one, and you can't choose, put the smaller set in a random table and roll. If you find yourself hoping for a specific result, go with that; if you find yourself hoping against a specific result, remove that option, reset the table, and roll again; if you find yourself neither hoping for nor hoping against a specific character, go with the roll.

pr4wn
2020-04-22, 02:25 PM
Tortle Wizard!

Dump INT, max CON.

Grab every ritual spell you can get your hands on. Pick up Sleep and Magic Missile for combat.

Have high AC (for a Wizard, 17). Be useful out of combat, and semi usable in combat (MM and Sleep don't care about your casting stat).

Un-optimize like a boss!

-pr4wn

Desteplo
2020-04-22, 02:43 PM
Man Paladin seems to a favorite in the DM community

I’ve narrowed it down To:
Way of 4 element monk
Conjuration wizard
Inquisitive rogue
Battlesmith artificer (current artificer May go cleric)

Just to give an ending to my struggle I’ll roll a d4!
Battlesmith if dude swaps classes. Otherwise way of 4 element monk got the next couple rolls. Wish me luck I don’t re-over think it!

Magicspook
2020-04-22, 05:17 PM
You probably have an idea of what the campaign is going to be about. With that in mind, see if you can come up with a cool character concept that fits in the campaign. If the campaign is set in hell, don't go play that pirate, but pick the witch hunter dude. If it's a naval-themed campaign, don't go for the plague doctor, but for your intrepid explorer out to find new lands. You know what I mean.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-04-23, 08:33 AM
Choose by rolling 1d3
1 Champion Fighter
2 Four Elements Monk
3 Berserker Barbarian

nickl_2000
2020-04-23, 08:43 AM

I’ve narrowed it down To:
Way of 4 element monk
Conjuration wizard
Inquisitive rogue
Battlesmith artificer (current artificer May go cleric)

Just to give an ending to my struggle I’ll roll a d4!
Battlesmith if dude swaps classes. Otherwise way of 4 element monk got the next couple rolls. Wish me luck I don’t re-over think it!

If I thought it was possible I would. Considering that you posted on here, I'm pretty sure that you will way over think it :smallbiggrin:

Cheesegear
2020-04-23, 09:13 AM

Not really.
It's just that Paladin works mechanically well - perhaps the best, even - with the other members of your party. If there was already a Fighter or Cleric or similar in the party, you would've been told something different.

*Proceeds to list four things that are not a Paladin*

...'Kay.

Falconcry
2020-04-23, 04:29 PM
If you are looking for caster type monk I went with Grung Way of Mercy (UA) monk / Circle of Spores druid. Dude can leap around like spiderman and give a spot heal if needed. Plus the added fun of possibly poisoning the person you are trying to heal. It was an accident I swear ....

Wizard_Lizard
2020-04-23, 04:54 PM
Hah. Currently I've also built up a large number of characters, hoping for the day I get to be a player.

Try something fun. Like not gimmicky, personally I would go for a skillmonkey or artificer or whatever, but that's your choice i guess.

Yuroch Kern
2020-04-23, 06:20 PM
4 element monk would the way to go. There are a lot of multi-schtick characters, so you can go MAD with no arguements. I always go for the best character is the one you like, but since none of them picked a single class, you will already be deep in class abilities. Have fun!

sithlordnergal
2020-04-23, 06:43 PM
It looks like you need a frontline and a healer. Might I suggest either a Cleric or a Paladin? If you go Paladin, make sure you go Paladin/Divine Soul Sorcerer to boost that healing of yours.

Yuroch Kern
2020-04-24, 12:43 AM
It also seems like you guys are starting with some levels under your belt. My input is limited with what data I have, but if you like it, just go Hill Dwarf 4 elements monk. Level 3 can see a Long Death build, since it also seems you are doing splatbooks? Personally, going full Valor Bard would fulfill all your needs...

Pex
2020-04-24, 07:17 AM
There have been a few times where I can't decide between different character ideas. I want to play everything. When that happens I ignore the game mechanics fun I want and think of the roleplay. How do I envision my character's reaction to events I can think of? How do I want to approach solving a problem? I keep at it until eventually I find I'm thinking more about one character build than another, That build fits better to what I'm thinking. That's the character I play.

Chronos
2020-04-24, 01:57 PM
As an aside, this isn't a DM-specific problem. My next character is going to be a bard... but I've also got a paladin and a wizard knocking around in my head, and I'd like to try a shadow monk one of these times, and I could do a cleric, and...

And by the time I have a chance to play any of those, I'll have come up with at least four more ideas.