PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Elan Soul Eater

Grim Reader
2020-04-22, 05:11 PM
I always wanted to play an Elan Soul Eater, the BoVD prestige class. Now I may have an opportunity during the Corona. But it is for Pathfinder.

So I believe I can swing some 3rd ed prestige, but there is a limit to how much 3rd I can ask for. And the type requirement has me stumped. It works fine in 3rd, where the Elan is an Aberration, but in Dreamscarred Pathfinder it is Humanoid [Aberration]. And Humanoids are specially locked out of Soul Eater unless they are Monstrous Humanoids.

I don't really know how to get around that, barring asking the DM for yet another exception and it is getting...inelegant. Third-party race, 3rd ed prestige class and now special exceptions? Its honestly a mess. I mean, I could just play an Outsider race instead, such as a Tiefling I suppose... but its not the character I wanted. I realize this is not optimization advice I am looking for here, I want to keep the flavor.

Is there a Heritage feat or something I am overlooking?

My plan is a Hexcrafter Magus, Familiar Arcana gives Alertness and Nails and/or Prehensile Hair Hex gives natural weapons.

Kris Moonhand
2020-04-22, 09:22 PM
If you look at the rules for the (aberrant) subtype (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Creature_Types_and_Subtypes), it says that it counts as the Aberration type.

Aberrant creatures are related to aberrations and have unusual qualities or mutations. They count as aberrations in addition to their other types and subtypes for effects and prerequisites relating to type. They do not gain any other qualities of the type unless another source grants it.
Not sure if that will let you get in because they still count as Humanoid, so they're not "nonhumanoid", but maybe it helps?

Psyren
2020-04-23, 10:00 AM
The problem here is that Soul Eater requires that you NOT be humanoid. Counting as both, like the PF Elan does, means you are still humanoid and therefore ineligible.

Your best bet here is to talk to your GM anyway, if you have your heart set on the character. Alternatively, the Synad race from Complete Psionic are still full aberrations, lacking a PF update since they are closed content, so maybe play one of those?

The most common entry to Soul Eater is Warforged due to being constructs with multiple natural attacks that can make use of its powers.