PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Horror: Eldritch Paladin (PEACH)

sandmote
2020-04-22, 10:13 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/auTcKLyov)

I'm wondering my ability to put something together in a day. Also, while I'm sure I'm using "eldritch," wrong, is this any worse than "eldritch knight?"

The Oath of Horror is a testament to the mind melting influences from beyond the known multiverse. Whether they attempt to draw others to the far realm or fight it back, these paladins have glimpsed eldritch horrors and been left scarred as a result. Sometimes called aberrant or stalker knights, those capable of bending the eldritch powers from these distant powers are capable of breaking entire armies in front of themselves.

Tenets of Horror
The tenets of the Oath of Horror are remarkably consistent given the number of paladins who have no formal training in the oath before picking it up. One aspect not dealt with by the oath is how the paladin must treat aberrations and other creatures of the far realm, with both the commanders and destroyers of such forces taking up the oath.

Hear the Horror Entities worse then the imagination are out there, hiding beyond the darkness. Seek them out.

Withstand the Horror Your search will bring you to incomprehensible beings you must embrace. Do not wrestle that you cannot solve.

Grasp the Horror Take the powers of the far realm for your own usage. You do not need to understand to wield.

Speak of the Horror To keep others reminded of the terrors that exist, you must leave memories of the gruesome behind you, whether to inspire hope or draw in despair.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of Horror Spells
Paladin Level Spells
3rd Arms of Hadar, Protection From Evil and Good
5th Invisibility, Mind Spike
9th Hunger of Hadar, Slow
13th Charm Monster, Dispel Evil and Good
17th Dominate Person, Synaptic Static

Channel Divinity
You gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Breach the Beyond As a bonus action, you can force to a creature within 30 feet of you to make a wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature's mind is filled with sights and sounds from the far realm, causing it to fall prone and gain a level of exhaustion. For 10 minutes the creature can speak only falteringly and its movement speeds are halved as it tries to cope with the events that had been forced into its mind. Aberrations and creatures with an intelligence of 4 or lower are immune to this channel divinity option.

Eldritch Eye As an action you can reach out and touch a creature, inuring its mind to the worst sights, sounds, and oddities it has experienced or may be exposed to in the near future. For 1 hour the target ceases to be Charmed, Frightened, and Possessed if and gains advantage on saving throws to avoid regaining these conditions for 10 minutes.

Aura of Despair
Beginning at 7th level, a images of horrific effects appear in the minds of creatures around you, as they glimpse the denizens beyond the known multiverse. Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you have disadvantage on initiative rolls, Constitution saving throws made to maintain concentration, saving throws against being frightened, and on Investigation checks made to distinguish between real objects and illusions or otherwise false images.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Grasping Mind
By 15th level you can cope with the worst things from the edges of the multiverse. You gain resistance to Psychic and Force damage, and gain proficiency in Intelligence saving throws.

Eldritch Transformation
At 20th level, you can assume the form of an creature from beyond the known multiverse, taking on an appearance you choose. For example, your skin might turn rubbery or glow with incomprehensible symbols, your hair might become thick tentacles, or you might sprout additional eyes.

Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:

When you hit a creature with an attack, you deal an additional 1d10 psychic damage.
As a bonus action you can force one creature within 30 feet of you to make a saving throw with a DC of 8 + your Proficiency Bonus + your Charisma modifier or be frightened of you until the start of your next turn.
You have advantage on perception and investigation checks.
Your reach increases by 5 feet.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

aimlessPolymath
2020-04-22, 11:28 PM
-Tenents of Horror: Grasp the Horror is pretty much "use your class abilities"; it's vague and I think it should be replaced.
Speak the Horror is a really strong aspect and I really like it.

-How does Breach the Beyond interact with verbal spell components? Reasonably solid feature even without that.

-Aura of Despair is really situational; disadvantage on Initiative requires very specific setup for them to be within your aura. Saves against fear maybe less situational, idk.

-Grasping Mind looks solid.

-Eldritch Transformation looks solid.

FaerieGodfather
2020-04-22, 11:44 PM
I like this a lot. Now if only Paladin/Druid were viable...

sandmote
2020-04-23, 10:30 AM
-Tenents of Horror: Grasp the Horror is pretty much "use your class abilities"; it's vague and I think it should be replaced.
Speak the Horror is a really strong aspect and I really like it.

-How does Breach the Beyond interact with verbal spell components? Reasonably solid feature even without that.

-Aura of Despair is really situational; disadvantage on Initiative requires very specific setup for them to be within your aura. Saves against fear maybe less situational, idk. The idea for Grasp the Horror was "don't break your mind tying to understand it." What about the following instead:

[Name Pending] The far realm is beyond mortal comprehension. Understand this, and let the visions of the realm simply pass you by.

The stunned condition prevents spellcasting before mentioning the language I stole from it. I'll specify it allows spellcasting but prevents normal conversation. What I did forget was to specify the ranges on the channel divinity options. I'll do 30 feet the first one and touch for the second (don't want to replace a mid-level spell entirely).

Aura of Despair is meant to have some minor abilities, as I had trouble coming up with one effect of similar strength to the other subclasses' auras. Although I don't have surprised characters roll initiative until the second round, so that bit is probably a lot weaker by RAW than I was thinking. Temporary Hit Points on NPCs seem rare. As the effects are the reverse of the Heroism Spell, would draining the Temp HP of affected creatures (by 2 or 3 points a round) work?

I like this a lot. Now if only Paladin/Druid were viable... Can I get more information on this character concept? It sounds interesting, as I'd expect a Paladin/Druid build to go for the Oath of the Ancients. Also, if your DM allows Divine Smite to work with natural weapons a Paladin/Moon Druid might work okay.

FaerieGodfather
2020-04-23, 11:30 AM
Can I get more information on this character concept? It sounds interesting, as I'd expect a Paladin/Druid build to go for the Oath of the Ancients. Also, if your DM allows Divine Smite to work with natural weapons a Paladin/Moon Druid might work okay.

Basically... it's a goodish, nature-loving character who believes that aberrations are a dangerous and misunderstood part of the natural world, but they are a part of the natural world nonetheless-- something that civilization needs to be protected from, something that also needs to be protected from civilization, something that needs to be handled with care and something that, if used carefully, can be used for Good.

aimlessPolymath
2020-04-23, 12:27 PM
The idea for Grasp the Horror was "don't break your mind tying to understand it." What about the following instead:

[Name Pending] The far realm is beyond mortal comprehension. Understand this, and let the visions of the realm simply pass you by.

In that case, Grasp the Horror and Withstand The Horror would be basically identical.

The stunned condition prevents spellcasting before mentioning the language I stole from it. I'll specify it allows spellcasting but prevents normal conversation. What I did forget was to specify the ranges on the channel divinity options. I'll do 30 feet the first one and touch for the second (don't want to replace a mid-level spell entirely).

Aura of Despair is meant to have some minor abilities, as I had trouble coming up with one effect of similar strength to the other subclasses' auras. Although I don't have surprised characters roll initiative until the second round, so that bit is probably a lot weaker by RAW than I was thinking. Temporary Hit Points on NPCs seem rare. As the effects are the reverse of the Heroism Spell, would draining the Temp HP of affected creatures (by 2 or 3 points a round) work?
I'd go for something a little more evocative:
Aura of Madness/Bulwark of Sanity: Creatures of your choice within 10 ft have, at your option, either advantage or disadvantage on Intelligence saves (which pretty much boils down to illusions).

sandmote
2020-04-23, 01:54 PM
Basically... it's a goodish, nature-loving character who believes that aberrations are a dangerous and misunderstood part of the natural world, but they are a part of the natural world nonetheless-- something that civilization needs to be protected from, something that also needs to be protected from civilization, something that needs to be handled with care and something that, if used carefully, can be used for Good. I had a similar idea, but wrote this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?580096-Circle-of-the-Outer-Planes) subclass for the concept. Probably needs another pass through. Still glad to hear this subclass is written flexibly enough it doesn't get pigeonholed as evil.

In that case, Grasp the Horror and Withstand The Horror would be basically identical.

I'd go for something a little more evocative:
Aura of Madness/Bulwark of Sanity: Creatures of your choice within 10 ft have, at your option, either advantage or disadvantage on Intelligence saves (which pretty much boils down to illusions).

I'll add "and fight," the grasp the horror, and leave it for now.

Aren't Intelligence saves of the rares types? The only illusion I recall allowing one is Phantasmal Force. What about disadvantage on Investigation check to distinguish real objects from illusions and similar effects.

aimlessPolymath
2020-04-23, 02:15 PM
I had a similar idea, but wrote
I'll add "and fight," the grasp the horror, and leave it for now.

Aren't Intelligence saves of the rares types? The only illusion I recall allowing one is Phantasmal Force. What about disadvantage on Investigation check to distinguish real objects from illusions and similar effects.

Sounds good!

sandmote
2020-04-23, 02:26 PM
Sounds good!

Added. Thank you for the help.