PDA

View Full Version : New too 5e and about to start a CoS game need tips on a build

Zayol
2020-04-22, 11:21 PM
Hey guys, so some buddies of mine and I are going to start up a 5e Curse of Stradh game. I havnt played D&D since 3.5 and see their are alot of changes.

So i`m coming here to get some tips on a build i`m thinking of making, the DM is letting us use what we want from the phb, dmhb and xanatar`s guide. One player will be playing a tank as paladin/hexblade, and the other hasnt completely decided on a build yet, though he is thinking about a ranged sneaky character.

Now I was thinking of playing a kind of suport/damage dealer character based off of the grim reaper, a character who stays hidden in a hooded cloak and wields a scythe, dunno why but the thematic is appealing to me, so for that I was thinking of making a death domain cleric with a dip in monk.

I`ll probably only be taking 1 lvl in monk if possible too not affect my cleirc spell progression to much and such and was thinking of maybe taking the kensai monk, so ill be able to use a martial weapon as a monk weapon, in this case my dm is actually building me a scythe that would suit my needs, so with this I could focus on high wisdom, dex and con and wont have to think about str and such.

for spells I was aiming for toll the dead as cantrip, havnt figured the res tout yet but want to aim for Spirit Guardians and spiritual weapon (scythe)

as for alignment and god I would probably follow Jergul and be Lawful neutral so I wouldnt come to blows with our paladin.

thats what I have so far, so what I guess I am asking is when should I dip my lvl in monk? I know at first level it wont matter too much since Ill have my toll the dead and be able to weild my scythe without a problem, once I get the monk lvl it will allow me to use it finesse and use dex instead of str, I just dont want to be too squishy since i`ll be going mostly unarmored. (though I`ll probably wear something until I get that monk level)

anyways, any tip could help, lemme all know what you think and your opinions on what direction I should take this.

pr4wn
2020-04-22, 11:43 PM
I`ll probably only be taking 1 lvl in monk if possible too not affect my cleirc spell progression to much and such and was thinking of maybe taking the kensai monk, so ill be able to use a martial weapon as a monk weapon, in this case my dm is actually building me a scythe that would suit my needs, so with this I could focus on high wisdom, dex and con and wont have to think about str and such.

for spells I was aiming for toll the dead as cantrip, havnt figured the res tout yet but want to aim for Spirit Guardians and spiritual weapon (scythe)

as for alignment and god I would probably follow Jergul and be Lawful neutral so I wouldnt come to blows with our paladin.

thats what I have so far, so what I guess I am asking is when should I dip my lvl in monk? I know at first level it wont matter too much since Ill have my toll the dead and be able to weild my scythe without a problem, once I get the monk lvl it will allow me to use it finesse and use dex instead of str, I just dont want to be too squishy since i`ll be going mostly unarmored. (though I`ll probably wear something until I get that monk level)

anyways, any tip could help, lemme all know what you think and your opinions on what direction I should take this.

Just a couple of points, Path of the Kensei doesn't come online until your third Monk level (you don't choose any path until 3rd level). Your Kensei weapon is a Monk weapon for you, and you can use dexterity, however, this is not the same as finesse. Finesse allows you to make sneak attacks if you are a rogue. Your Kensei weapon can use Dex, put unless the weapon has the finesse property, it does not qualify for sneak attack.

If there are other things you are looking for from Monk (unarmored defense, etc), I would take your Monk level as early as possible (level 2). The higher up you go in Cleric, the higher the perceived opportunity cost will be for taking that level. I don't know if I would go 3 levels deep in Monk just for Dex to the scythe and unarmored defense...

I really like the concept of what you are trying to make, I'm just not sure if the cost (3 levels of Monk) is worth the hit on the Cleric side...

I might look at just wearing armor under the robes or a dip into Warlock for Armor of Shadows (or Magic Initiate to pick up Mage Armor).

-pr4wn

Zayol
2020-04-22, 11:55 PM
Just a couple of points, Path of the Kensei doesn't come online until your third Monk level (you don't choose any path until 3rd level). Your Kensei weapon is a Monk weapon for you, and you can use dexterity, however, this is not the same as finesse. Finesse allows you to make sneak attacks if you are a rogue. Your Kensei weapon can use Dex, put unless the weapon has the finesse property, it does not qualify for sneak attack.

If there are other things you are looking for from Monk (unarmored defense, etc), I would take your Monk level as early as possible (level 2). The higher up you go in Cleric, the higher the perceived opportunity cost will be for taking that level. I don't know if I would go 3 levels deep in Monk just for Dex to the scythe and unarmored defense...

I really like the concept of what you are trying to make, I'm just not sure if the cost (3 levels of Monk) is worth the hit on the Cleric side...

I might look at just wearing armor under the robes or a dip into Warlock for Armor of Shadows (or Magic Initiate to pick up Mage Armor).

-pr4wn

Thx for the quick reply! So I guess depending how my dm creates my scythe I wouldnt necessarily need kensai. I mean it would depend on how he makes it, simple or martial, if he just takes a quarterstaff and adds a blade for it to cause slashing dmg instead of bludgeoning it might just work with the 1 lvl monk dip with martial arts. That I will have too see. and the unarmored defense kicks in first lvl also.

what about feats? other then warcaster is there anything else I should be looking for?

pr4wn
2020-04-23, 12:13 AM
what about feats? other then warcaster is there anything else I should be looking for?

Resilient (Constitution) is always popular. Especially if you have Concentration spells going. I would also look at Lucky. You can use it to get a second chance at a botched save, or even more fun, to make an opponent reroll a Crit that is landed against you.

You could also look at Shadow Sorcerer. Its first level abilities are a good fit thematically, and you could get Mage Armor from there.

Another option is to pick up Magic Initiate (Druid) and see if your DM will let you re-flavor Shillelagh to make a magic scythe effect on a quarter staff. You then have a 1D8+Wis magic weapon. It is just fluff (how it looks) and changing bludgeoning damage to slashing...

-pr4wn

Zayol
2020-04-23, 02:26 AM
Resilient (Constitution) is always popular. Especially if you have Concentration spells going. I would also look at Lucky. You can use it to get a second chance at a botched save, or even more fun, to make an opponent reroll a Crit that is landed against you.

You could also look at Shadow Sorcerer. Its first level abilities are a good fit thematically, and you could get Mage Armor from there.

Another option is to pick up Magic Initiate (Druid) and see if your DM will let you re-flavor Shillelagh to make a magic scythe effect on a quarter staff. You then have a 1D8+Wis magic weapon. It is just fluff (how it looks) and changing bludgeoning damage to slashing...

-pr4wn

Ill see what he will make as a scythe first if it doesnt work ill throw him the Shillelagh idea, I like that idea, as for the Shadow Sorc I do love it`s abilities thematically but I want to stay with my Wis/Dex/Con, thats why I find that cleric and monk synergise well, considering the SS abilities darkvision is great but th other is a charisma save and I wont be having that high charisma.

The dex to dmg for scythe I could pass by since ill have spells and such to supplement, what I really wanted from monk was its unarmored bonus of 10ac + dex + wis to ac which if I have 20 dex and wis gives me 20ac, which pretty much equals a fighter in heavy armor with a shield, plus any other buffs i`ll have.

thx for the info for feats, I`ll keep them in mind! :)

Eldariel
2020-04-23, 02:36 AM
Clerics can easily go Str instead of Dex due to their ability to wear heavier armor and due to Death domain having martial weapon proficiencies, meaning you can wield some sort of Scythe without a problem. Of course, Death domain specifically lacks heavy armor so this attribute is less pronounced; you'd need 14 Dex to max out your armor class, which is a very good idea if you're a frontliner. Sadly the domain spells are a bit lackluster, but the domain features at least make you fairly good at bashing people in the face, and twinning Toll the Dead is actually quite strong (if only this subclass got Potent Spellcasting...).

Far as feats go, yeah, Res: Con is very good as are Alert and Lucky. You can be an observation beast with your Wisdom so Observant isn't a horrible feat either and you can always take PAM if your DM allows you to use it with your Scythe (it's a really good feat). Though of course, it's a bit redundant with Spiritual Weapon as both take bonus action.

Zayol
2020-04-23, 02:50 AM
Clerics can easily go Str instead of Dex due to their ability to wear heavier armor and due to Death domain having martial weapon proficiencies, meaning you can wield some sort of Scythe without a problem. Of course, Death domain specifically lacks heavy armor so this attribute is less pronounced; you'd need 14 Dex to max out your armor class, which is a very good idea if you're a frontliner. Sadly the domain spells are a bit lackluster, but the domain features at least make you fairly good at bashing people in the face, and twinning Toll the Dead is actually quite strong (if only this subclass got Potent Spellcasting...).

Far as feats go, yeah, Res: Con is very good as are Alert and Lucky. You can be an observation beast with your Wisdom so Observant isn't a horrible feat either and you can always take PAM if your DM allows you to use it with your Scythe (it's a really good feat). Though of course, it's a bit redundant with Spiritual Weapon as both take bonus action.

Yah I have also been looking for the str alternative, lower dex, higher str with medium armor.

I do love the idea of Observant as a feat, as I find it fits my character very well, since I will be a cleric of Jergul, and probably being a member of the companions of the pallid mask ( or be connected to them in a way) being observant will be very good, he will be taking names of those who die for Jergul and all.

PAM caught my interest also, though I believe the pally/hexblade in the party will already have it, so was thinking of supplementing it with spiritual weapon as bonus action and having spirit guardians up with concentration, so Res:con will be a great idea also, with warcaster.

Only question is which race to take, woodelf if i dipped in monk would be good but I think the variant human might be best feat wise.

Alucard89
2020-04-23, 03:56 AM
Now I was thinking of playing a kind of suport/damage dealer character based off of the grim reaper, a character who stays hidden in a hooded cloak and wields a scythe, dunno why but the thematic is appealing to me

Hexblade will be great choice imo here and it's one of best in CoS. You can summon with Pact Weapon a Glaive and just refluff it as Scythe. Hexblade is also super good in CoS because he gets free magic weapon at level 3 and a lot of enemies have resistance to non-magical weapons, get get's Devil's Sight + Darkness combo and Later Shadow of Moil and most enemies in CoS has only darkvision (Strahd included) and few have blindsight or true sight (on which SoM works). He also is really good with fighting single strong enemies, and there is quite a lot of them in CoS. And with Agonizing Blast you are still have great range DPR blasting and force damage is not resisted by anything.

Arcana Cleric is second one that I would think of. You can refluff Scythe as Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians as Reapers wielding spectral Scythes.

CTurbo
2020-04-23, 04:11 AM
Are you wanting the Monk level purely to have an unarmored defense?

Just to throw out a different option, I say go Gloom Stalker Ranger with Undead as your Favored Enemy. Pairs perfectly well with Cleric if you want more support. Cutoff levels for Gloom Stalker would be 3, 5, or 7. Even better if you can take the UA Revised Ranger.

Let's see..... Bugbear Gloom Stalker with a Scythe.

16 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha.

Focus on Str, wear medium armor(Breastplate) and attack from 10ft away from the shadows. You could even take GWM.

Personification
2020-04-23, 08:12 PM
Have you considered Spore Circle Druid? It is in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and it is a death and death themed Druid. You can even use your wild shape to fuel the thematic abilities instead of shapeshifting, so it can work with a non-WS build.

Zayol
2020-04-24, 02:35 AM
Have you considered Spore Circle Druid? It is in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and it is a death and death themed Druid. You can even use your wild shape to fuel the thematic abilities instead of shapeshifting, so it can work with a non-WS build.

Nah can't use any classes and/or races outside of the phb, DMG and xanathars guide to everything...

Hexblade could work, but considering another player is alrdy taking this I rather stay away.

Yah the monk dip is pretty much for the unarmored ability, fits my idea of being robed and depending how the dm makes my scythe maybe even martial arts. Thats why I only want 1 lvl in monk if need be.

Gloom ranger could be an interesting mix, but again the cut off lvls are pretty high considering I rather stay in my cleric lvls as much as I can.

Alucard89
2020-04-24, 04:54 AM
Nah can't use any classes and/or races outside of the phb, DMG and xanathars guide to everything...

Hexblade could work, but considering another player is alrdy taking this I rather stay away.

Yah the monk dip is pretty much for the unarmored ability, fits my idea of being robed and depending how the dm makes my scythe maybe even martial arts. Thats why I only want 1 lvl in monk if need be.

Gloom ranger could be an interesting mix, but again the cut off lvls are pretty high considering I rather stay in my cleric lvls as much as I can.

Arcana Cleric Variant Human with Magic Initiate (Druid) to get Shillelagh is really strong pick. You can Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade from your 2 free Wizard cantrips and wield Shield + Quarterstaff. On level 8 you will deal (assuming 20 WIS) 2d8 + 10 to first target of Greenflame Blade and 1d8 + 10 to second target. Or Booming Blade 2d8 + 10 and if they move 2d8 + 5. And you still have Spiritual Weapon as bonus action and Spirit Guardians around you. Overall a very strong gish.

And both Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians can be shown as Scythe and Scythes wielding figures.

Gloom Stalker 5/5 Grave Cleric would also work. You would still get Spirit Guardians and spiritual weapon, 2 attacks, 3 attacks in first turn, invisibility in darkness (HUGE in COS campaign) and extra 1d8 damage on first attack. And Still get Spiritual Weapon. Plus you get Cleric cantrips, Healing Word, ranged spare the dying, superior undead detection. Take undead as your FF. Wield Scythe (Glaive). If you are Variant Human you can start with GWM becaue you will have a lof of advantage in most fights in CoS due to Umbral Sight: "You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness."
Alternative route is to go Druid 1/9 Gloom Stalker, FF: Undead, Greater FF: Aberrations (and Undead) and start as Variant Human with PAM and wield Shield + Quarter Staff with Shillelagh + Dueling Fighting Style, so you need to pack only in WIS and you can ignore STR and DEX (leave it at 14 to benefit from medium armor) to boost your spells and melee attacks. Take +2 WIS and RES (CON) or Warcaster as third feat.

This way using Hunter's Mark and Greater FF you would deal vs undeads: 3 x (1d8 + 1d6 + 10), dealing 54 damage. In first turn you would deal extra attack + extra 1d8 so 4 x (1d8 + 1d6 + 10) + 1d8, so total of 76,5 damage. And you have 18 AC on top with Scale Mail + Shield.

And you also get Magic weapon from start here (Shillelagh, same with Arcana Cleric) which is huge in CoS because many monsters have resistance to non-magic weapons and there is very few magic weapons in CoS, and almost non to find before level 6

Zayol
2020-04-24, 05:01 PM
Thx all for all the great ideas!

So I've read up a bit and decided to not dip monk but rather go gloom stalker death domain cleric. With a str buildwith a focus on str/wis/con while trying to keep dex at 14 if I can.

Now I'm hitting a snag though, if I should go gloom ranger 3 rest in death domain cleric or 5 gloom ranger and then rest in death domain cleric for the extra attack.

Would going for the extra attack be worth losing improved reaper and lvl 9 spells?

pr4wn
2020-04-24, 10:38 PM
Now I'm hitting a snag though, if I should go gloom ranger 3 rest in death domain cleric or 5 gloom ranger and then rest in death domain cleric for the extra attack.

Would going for the extra attack be worth losing improved reaper and lvl 9 spells?

From what I can tell, Improved Reaper only effects the following:

Inflict Wounds
Ray of Sickness
Blindness/Deafness
Ray of Enfeeblement
Bestow Curse
Life Transference
Blight
Contagion

If you are looking to mix it up in melee, then Extra Attack may be worth it. However, it does delay the improvement to your Devine Strike feature... Are you planning on playing all the way to where you will be getting 9th level slots? If yes, it is a pretty large trade off to forgo them (although Anti-Magic Field as an 8th level slot is probably more useful).

-pr4wn

CTurbo
2020-04-25, 04:44 AM
I would be really temped to take 5 levels of Gloom Stalker. Start Cleric 1 though for Wis saves.

But my question is other than in name, is Death Cleric really the best option here? You'll need 6 levels to be able to overcome the Necrotic resistance in which case I'd go Gloom Stalker 3, Death Cleric 7-8.

Personally, I would go Gloom Stalker 5, War Cleric 5-6. Probably even take GWM. You will get off that big bonus action attack quite often, and always hit when you REALLY need to.

Cry Havoc
2020-04-25, 04:56 AM
Monks are allowed (expressly) to refluff weapons. Make your spear a Scythe at 1st level with this rule, and call it a day.

5 levels in Monk is what you want (stunning fist and extra attack); Monk of the Long death is thematic, fluffy and effective. Kill stuff and get temp HP as you reap them.

Take your other 15 levels in Cleric (Death). Split them however you want.

Alternatively focus on casting and go a 3/17 split.

Dump Strength, Charisma and Int. Pimp Wisdom and Dex and Con. As a Vuman you get Wisdom and Dex 16 off the bat, and a Con of 15. Other stats 8.

Take resilient Con at 1st level to round out your Con score to 16 and get Con saves from 1st level (good for concentration on spells and nasty saves and HP). Put all your ASI's into Dex and Wisdom; they'll both wind up 20's.

Alucard89
2020-04-25, 07:01 AM
I would be really temped to take 5 levels of Gloom Stalker. Start Cleric 1 though for Wis saves.

But my question is other than in name, is Death Cleric really the best option here? You'll need 6 levels to be able to overcome the Necrotic resistance in which case I'd go Gloom Stalker 3, Death Cleric 7-8.

Personally, I would go Gloom Stalker 5, War Cleric 5-6. Probably even take GWM. You will get off that big bonus action attack quite often, and always hit when you REALLY need to.

As a cleric he would get Spiritual Weapon as his bonus action. It's imo a little shame to waste such a good spell. After all the best rewards of multiclassing to cleric are pretty much spiritual weapon and Spirit Guardians. I think he would be better with Nature Cleric and Shillelagh + Spiritual Weapon, letting him attack with WIS on every attack.

Cry Havoc
2020-04-25, 07:43 AM
As a cleric he would get Spiritual Weapon as his bonus action. It's imo a little shame to waste such a good spell. After all the best rewards of multiclassing to cleric are pretty much spiritual weapon and Spirit Guardians. I think he would be better with Nature Cleric and Shillelagh + Spiritual Weapon, letting him attack with WIS on every attack.

He's got a Grim reaper/ Death vibe thing going on though.

A Death Cleric with a 3 or 5 level splash of Long Death monk is fine. Gets the concept he wants on the board and in the game.

He doesnt need shillelegh as he's attacking with Dex anyway (both Dex and Wis start at 16) and his Scythe is a spear that does the same damage.

The Monk Cleric gets to cast spells, and when that fails walk on over and fight OK.

Alucard89
2020-04-25, 08:12 AM
He's got a Grim reaper/ Death vibe thing going on though.

A Death Cleric with a 3 or 5 level splash of Long Death monk is fine. Gets the concept he wants on the board and in the game.

He doesnt need shillelegh as he's attacking with Dex anyway (both Dex and Wis start at 16) and his Scythe is a spear that does the same damage.

The Monk Cleric gets to cast spells, and when that fails walk on over and fight OK.

It's viable route yes but Gloom Stalker is simply stronger especially since Umbral Sight will work in so many places in CoS. I am not fan of mixing cleric for either of those classes, but if he wants - Gloom Stalker is simply stronger.

stoutstien
2020-04-25, 08:27 AM
Something that I see is overlooked a lot for death clerics is their channel divinity can trigger off any melee attack which include spells like inflict wound or contagion.

My personal favorite is spiritual weapon.

Cry Havoc
2020-04-25, 09:17 AM
It's viable route yes but Gloom Stalker is simply stronger especially since Umbral Sight will work in so many places in CoS. I am not fan of mixing cleric for either of those classes, but if he wants - Gloom Stalker is simply stronger.

He doesnt want an invisible sneaky PC though. He wants a Grim reaper Death dude obsessed with death and dying using a Scythe. Long Death monk fits that bill perfectly.

At 3rd level they get:

When you reduce a creature within 5 feet of you to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier + your monk level (minimum of 1 temporary hit point).

Which is fluffy and cool.

Two scythe attacks plus 1-2 x unarmed 'death touch' attacks, popping a stunning fist, and touch of death and divine strike (plus running with a Necrotic Spirit guardians or whatever) while milking 10 temp HP from whatever he kills makes him an effective melee opponent, plus he has Cleric spell casting (8th level spells, CL 15) to back it up.

Its all very fluffy and thematic as well. It fits with his concept.

Alucard89
2020-04-25, 09:24 AM
He doesnt want an invisible sneaky PC though. He wants a Grim reaper Death dude obsessed with death and dying using a Scythe. Long Death monk fits that bill perfectly.

At 3rd level they get:

When you reduce a creature within 5 feet of you to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier + your monk level (minimum of 1 temporary hit point).

Which is fluffy and cool.

Two scythe attacks plus 1-2 x unarmed 'death touch' attacks, popping a stunning fist, and touch of death and divine strike (plus running with a Necrotic Spirit guardians or whatever) while milking 10 temp HP from whatever he kills makes him an effective melee opponent, plus he has Cleric spell casting (8th level spells, CL 15) to back it up.

Its all very fluffy and thematic as well. It fits with his concept.

I said it's a viable route, I just mentioned that Gloom Stalker as "dark hunter with scythe" is just stronger. What he will chose from those is his business. I just make sure he understands what gives him what.

DKing9114
2020-04-25, 08:37 PM
Grave Cleric might provide fewer clashes with the paladin, although this choice depends on the balance of support and damage you want. Grave domain will provide better support options, a synergy with your party's primary damage dealers for single target elimination, and some specialization in fighting the undead, at the expense of multi-targeted attacks and enhancements to melee attacks. While I wouldn't advise against it entirely, be cautious of multiclassing, given the size and makeup of your party. It's not just about missing out on class levels out of 20, but how underpowered you may be while waiting for your build to come online.

Zayol
2020-05-01, 01:24 AM
Monks are allowed (expressly) to refluff weapons. Make your spear a Scythe at 1st level with this rule, and call it a day.

5 levels in Monk is what you want (stunning fist and extra attack); Monk of the Long death is thematic, fluffy and effective. Kill stuff and get temp HP as you reap them.

Take your other 15 levels in Cleric (Death). Split them however you want.

Alternatively focus on casting and go a 3/17 split.

Dump Strength, Charisma and Int. Pimp Wisdom and Dex and Con. As a Vuman you get Wisdom and Dex 16 off the bat, and a Con of 15. Other stats 8.

Take resilient Con at 1st level to round out your Con score to 16 and get Con saves from 1st level (good for concentration on spells and nasty saves and HP). Put all your ASI's into Dex and Wisdom; they'll both wind up 20's.

Thank you for this, also thank you to everyone else, I appreciate everyones thoughts and Ideas and have looked at all the possibilities you have all put on the table, but this is what I have been looking for.

Cry Havoc has hit the nail on the head with this one, I am not looking to min max but to have fun with this one and was wanting to hold true to my thematic of my character, though I wont say he is crazy about death and all.

I will probably going the 3 long death / 17 death cleric route in this since i`ll prob be focusing more on being a closer range caster/support and that at later levels I`ll be using spirit weapon as my bonus action over the monks unarmed attacks, I love the death touch ability giving me temp hp when I drop a monster close to me, will be good at high levels with spirit guardians and spirit weapon + close range touch spells with imp reaper. The Dm has also allowed it that the spell focus in this case will probably be an amulet to cover for somatic and material spells, so the warcaster feat wont be needed.

so last Question on this, Which would be better for first lvl, monk or cleric?

Character background:
My character (whose name I havnt thought of yet) has always been facinated with death, and took every opportunity to study it, everytime he witnessed a death he would study it, and also take down the name of the person who died and would remember each and every name.

At a young age (not sure how yet) the character was taken in by the the Scriveners of Doom to tend their archives, becoming a clergy of the faith of Jergal, where he would add his own scrolls and accounts to the archives. After a few years of tutelage with the Scriveners of Doom and his strong belief and ties to Jergal, the character is then recruited into the companions of the pallid mask, a secretive organisation that hunts the unsanctioned undead and to bring them to their graves for good. Staying true to his former postition, the character continues to take accounts of the deaths around him.

FabulousFizban
2020-05-01, 04:06 AM
I recommend a minimum 2 level dip into monk and as others have said kensei requires a 3 level dip. A scythe is just a 2 handed polearm that deals slashing.

Zayol
2020-05-03, 08:13 PM
So I was reading up more on different classes and such due to not being 100% satisfied with my build and have come up with a new one thanks to everyones imputs and was hoping for more advice here on this build.

The new build will be going 15 Divine Soul Sorc / 5 hexblade

I will be going probably Aasimar as my race and start as a lvl 1 DSS. I had it confirmed by the DM that somewhere along the way in the adventure I would die, in death I would make a pact with Death or one of the death gods to return as a Revenant or Hollow One, and become a reaper of sorts, I was thinking probably that my death was unnatural in some way and wasnt my time and made a pact with Jergal, and when returning I would be his reaper, hunting down unsanctioned undead and to lead those whose time has come.

Going 5 levels in Hexblade gives me pact weapon, where I would pick my Scythe(glaive refluff) it would let me add charisma to dmg and attack rolls.

For Invocations I have 2 that im set and decided on, not sure what to take as my 3rd.
The 2 I am sure on are:
-Thirsting Blade, giving me a 2nd attack with my Scythe
-Grasp of Hadar allowing me to pull enemies 10ft towards me when I hit them with my eblast.

For my 3rd im split between 2 invocations..
-Agonizing Blast to add charisma to my eblast which I will be using
-Devil's Sight which I could use alongside the darkness spell at earlier levels though Darkness being a concentration spell will be replaced by Spirit Gaurdians.

My DSS levels will be giving me access to a fun mix of spells
Booming Blade
Spirit Gaurdians (Have them appear as ghostly reapers which ill be able to pull enemies into their range with grasp of hadar)
Spirit Weapon for bonus attack goodness
animate dead/create undead for meat shields and more dmg.
those would be my main go to spells.

Now where I would need help is what other spells would suit my guy and also Feats I havnt completely figured out yet.
Some feats I have been looking at

-Polearm Master
-Spell Snipe(increase range of my eblast and booming blade to match my scythes reach.)
- Resilent: Con

War Caster isnt on the list considering the DM is allowing us for the usage of a focus for all components of spell casting. So unless maybe there are decent spells I could use for AOO's or something that I have missed dont think I will be getting this one.

Anyways if anyone has any more ideas for this build, something I might have missed or anything lemme know!

Zayol
2020-05-05, 01:57 AM
No new tips from anyone?

Alucard89
2020-05-05, 07:07 AM
So I was reading up more on different classes and such due to not being 100% satisfied with my build and have come up with a new one thanks to everyones imputs and was hoping for more advice here on this build.

The new build will be going 15 Divine Soul Sorc / 5 hexblade

I will be going probably Aasimar as my race and start as a lvl 1 DSS. I had it confirmed by the DM that somewhere along the way in the adventure I would die, in death I would make a pact with Death or one of the death gods to return as a Revenant or Hollow One, and become a reaper of sorts, I was thinking probably that my death was unnatural in some way and wasnt my time and made a pact with Jergal, and when returning I would be his reaper, hunting down unsanctioned undead and to lead those whose time has come.

Going 5 levels in Hexblade gives me pact weapon, where I would pick my Scythe(glaive refluff) it would let me add charisma to dmg and attack rolls.

For Invocations I have 2 that im set and decided on, not sure what to take as my 3rd.
The 2 I am sure on are:
-Thirsting Blade, giving me a 2nd attack with my Scythe
-Grasp of Hadar allowing me to pull enemies 10ft towards me when I hit them with my eblast.

For my 3rd im split between 2 invocations..
-Agonizing Blast to add charisma to my eblast which I will be using
-Devil's Sight which I could use alongside the darkness spell at earlier levels though Darkness being a concentration spell will be replaced by Spirit Gaurdians.

My DSS levels will be giving me access to a fun mix of spells
Booming Blade
Spirit Gaurdians (Have them appear as ghostly reapers which ill be able to pull enemies into their range with grasp of hadar)
Spirit Weapon for bonus attack goodness
animate dead/create undead for meat shields and more dmg.
those would be my main go to spells.

Now where I would need help is what other spells would suit my guy and also Feats I havnt completely figured out yet.
Some feats I have been looking at

-Polearm Master
-Spell Snipe(increase range of my eblast and booming blade to match my scythes reach.)
- Resilent: Con

War Caster isnt on the list considering the DM is allowing us for the usage of a focus for all components of spell casting. So unless maybe there are decent spells I could use for AOO's or something that I have missed dont think I will be getting this one.

Anyways if anyone has any more ideas for this build, something I might have missed or anything lemme know!

I am lost a little (maybe I missed something in thread) but CoS campaign ends on level 9-10, so why 15 level character? Don't plan around level you won't see in campaign.

Lupine
2020-05-05, 03:11 PM
At the risk of loosing my head from the other posters, what you suggested sounds like exactly what Hexblade Warlock, Pact of the Blade is for.

Zayol
2020-05-06, 01:35 AM
I am lost a little (maybe I missed something in thread) but CoS campaign ends on level 9-10, so why 15 level character? Don't plan around level you won't see in campaign.

Ahh you are lost due to the fact that I forgot to mention that once CoS is done we are moving into our dm`s custom campaign.