PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Rewrite

GorogIrongut
2020-04-23, 07:24 AM
There's a thread going around discussing Rangers and how, even after the excellent Revised Ranger 2.0, they still don't quite feel like you would expect a classic Ranger to feel. That thread got me thinking about what I liked from Rangers. They're a class in particular that I enjoy. So I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and see if I could make a better Ranger.

Ranger
You are the ultimate jack of all trades. Where Fighters spend all day training, you push the boundaries of the wild encountering creatures of all types. Some you fight, others you befriend. Where the Druid plumbs natural magic to greater and grander scopes, you learn the power of herbs and groundswell magic. Your magic is the lesser but somehow even more profound. The Rogue learns the snikk of an opened lock, the slow careful progress toward their target, the high wire act as they bound from rooftop to rooftop. As a Ranger, you bound across tree tops. You learn the silence of the hunt. You learn how to embrace nature so that she releases her hard kept secrets to you.
Many seek to be a Ranger but few succeed. For the balancing act is a precarious one and Mother Nature is swift in her punishment.

Class Features
As a ranger, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per ranger level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per ranger level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills: Choose three from Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival

Friend to Some, Enemy to Many
1st-level ranger feature (replaces Favoured Enemy)
Traveling puts you in contact with many different societies and cultures be they civilized, animal or monstrous. You have learned to interact with all of them on at least a basic level. You are able to attempt to communicate with any creature of intelligence 4 or higher. You are able to establish rudimentary communication after a successful Wis Check. The DM determines how rudimentary but you should be able to identify mood, intent, and short term needs at the very minimum.
Any creature you have interacted with in the past month is still fresh in your mind. You have advantage on all Wis (Survival) checks to track them. If they are within a mile of your current location you are able to divine their rough location and numbers.

Deft Explorer
1st-level ranger feature (replaces Natural Explorer)

You are an unsurpassed explorer and survivor. Once per Short Rest you may choose one of the following benefits. At 6th and then 10th level you are able choose an extra one of these benefits per Short Rest. These benefits end when a Short Rest is next taken.
Canny
Choose one skill: Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. You gain proficiency in the chosen skill if you don’t already have it, and you can add double your proficiency bonus to ability checks using that skill.
Roving
Your walking speed increases by 5, and you gain a climbing speed and a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.
Tireless
As an action, you can give yourself a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your Wisdom modifier. You can use this special action a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest.
In addition, whenever you finish a short rest, your exhaustion level, if any, is decreased by 1.

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
• Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
• Close Quarters Shooter (UA)
When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.
• Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
• Duel Wielder
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light. You can add your ability modifier to the damage of your off-hand.
• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
• Druidic Warrior (UA)
You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. They count as ranger spells for you, and Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for them. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of these cantrips with another cantrip from the druid spell list.
• Blinding Fighting (UA)
Being unable to see a creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it, provided the creature isn’t hidden from you.

Spellcasting

Natural Magic
The Ranger is in tune with nature and able to harvest the most basic components used to create magic. While other casters use rote magic with formulae and mystical components, the Ranger is able to harness magic at it's most basic level.
When casting with Natural Magic, any casting of a Ranger spell is done without V/S/M unless there are components that are consumed in the casting. If this is the case then the component cost can be replaced by objects of an equal value. The rest of Natural Magic continues to apply. Natural Magic can only be used if the Ranger has spent half of the preceding day in Nature as it takes time for them to find the necessary ingredients.
The ranger is able to double the casting time of the spell and make it proof against counterspells and anti magic defenses.

Spell Slots
The Ranger table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your ranger spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
At 2nd level, you know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the ranger spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Ranger table shows when you learn more ranger spells of your choice of 1st level or higher. A spell you choose must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. When you reach 6th level, for example, you learn a new ranger spell, which can be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level.
Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the ranger spells you know and replace it with another spell from the ranger spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your ranger spells, so you use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a ranger spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Ranger Spellcasting Table
Lvl Known Slots Slot Level
2 2 1 1st
3 3 1 1st
4 3 1 1st
5 4 2 2nd
6 4 2 2nd
7 5 2 2nd
8 5 2 2nd
9 6 2 3rd
10 6 2 3rd
11 7 2 3rd
12 7 2 3rd
13 8 2 4th
14 8 2 4th
15 9 2 4th
16 9 2 4th
17 10 2 5th
18 10 2 5th
19 11 2 5th
20 11 3 5th

Ranger Conclave
At 3rd level, you choose to emulate the ideals and training of a ranger conclave:
• Beast Master
• Fey Wanderer (UA)
• Gloom Stalker
• Horizon Walker
• Hunter
• Monster Slayer
• Primeval Guardian (UA)
• Swarmkeeper (UA)
Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 11th, and 15th level.

Quick on Your Feet
3rd-level ranger feature (replaces Primeval Awareness)

Life in the wild has danger at every turn. You have learned how to take what succour you can in the few moments it's available to you. You gain the following benefits:
• You ignore difficult terrain.
• You can take one short rest over a single round. This can only occur once per a long rest. A long rest and/or a full night's sleep occurs over 4 hours for a Ranger..
• A ranger is capable of travelling at double speed while travelling through the wild. If this is done, then Natural Magic no longer applies to their casting for that day. Travelling at normal speed stealthily also negates the benefits of Natural Magic to their casting for that day.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Favored Foe
6th-level ranger feature (replaces Greater Favored Enemy)
You can call on your bond with nature to mark a creature as your favored enemy for a time: you know the hunter’s mark spell, and Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it. You can use it a certain number of times without expending a spell slot and without requiring concentration—a number of times equal to half your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest.
Hunter's Mark is cast at the slot level that your spell slots are currently at.

Unexpected Allies
6th-level ranger feature (also replaces Greater Favored Enemy)
You learn to cast the spell Find Familiar. This spell does not count against the number of Ranger Spells Known.
If you encounter a creature in your travels that you have befriended. You may make an Animal Handling (Wis) check to see if this creature would be willing to travel with you for a while. Until the creature has parted ways with you, you are no longer able to cast Find Familiar (even if you've obtained it a different way).
This creature has no restrictions and is treated as an NPC controlled by the DM. An NPC that has a particular interest in your well being.

Fade Away
10th-level ranger feature (replaces Hide in Plain Sight)
You can use a bonus action to magically become invisible, along with any equipment you are wearing or carrying, until the start of your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Elusive Prey
Beginning at 14th level, you can use the Dash or Hide actions as a bonus action on your turn. Also, you can't be tracked unless you choose to leave a trail.

Feral Senses
At 18th level, you gain preternatural senses that help you fight creatures you can't see. When you attack a creature you can't see, your inability to see it doesn't impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it.
You are also aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you, provided that the creature isn't hidden from you and you aren't blinded or deafened.

Foe Slayer
At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter. You can add your Wisdom modifier to the attack roll or the damage roll of any attack you make. You can choose to use this feature before or after the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied.

If you made it this far, then I thank you for going to the effort. If you any feedback, that is greatly appreciated.

Aeriox
2020-04-23, 11:55 AM
A few things I thought of when reading this:
1. Why did you change the spellcasting to short rest based? It doesn’t seem like it would help rangers at all.
2. Did you change the two weapon fighting style to just be the dual wielder feat? If so, that’s going to be really powerful at low levels and then not get any better over time.
3. I’m not sure what you’re aiming for with Deft Explorer. You say that you can use canny/tireless/roving once per short rest, but then don’t give a duration or anything for any of them. Tireless still says it recharges on a long rest as well.
4. I just saw Quick on Your Feet and that is insanely overpowered. You’re giving warlock spell slots that recharge on an action?!
5. Does Natural Magic require you to be in nature? Is the only requirement not traveling at double speed?

Overall, I like a lot of your changes, but some of it seems weird/unnecessary.

GorogIrongut
2020-04-23, 03:08 PM
Hey Aeriox, thanks for responding. I know it's a lot to process.

Essentially I didn't think Revised Ranger 1.0 or 2.0 were bad. I just felt that they didn't feel right. A Ranger should be a hunter. Something that has a wide skill set for the many perils they've faced without being over powered. In the following thread,
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?610713-Ranger-I-think-it-s-fine-but

In that thread it was regularly discussed how difficult it was to create a class that fit the soul of a Ranger because it was varied. I actually like was Kane0 said when he said:
My views on ranger 'identity'
- Where the Rogue hides, the Ranger seeks
- Where the Druid reveres nature, for the Ranger it is a tool
- Where the Barbarian is brutal and direct, the Ranger is cunning and crafty
- Where the Fighter and Monk rely on attack quantity and the Rogue relies on attack quality, the Ranger sits in the middle with the Barbarian and Paladin
- Where the Paladin prioritizes burst damage, the Ranger focuses on consistency
- Rangers fight smarter not harder
- Rangers are equal parts lone wolf and team player
- Rangers primarily operate on the 'second line' or 'flank', much like Rogues and Monks
Rangers, like all classes, should get some unique items (like pets and traps) and it's fine to share things with other classes. What isn't OK is lazily copying features or removing aspects of play.

A few things I thought of when reading this:
1. Why did you change the spellcasting to short rest based? It doesn’t seem like it would help rangers at all.
2. Did you change the two weapon fighting style to just be the dual wielder feat? If so, that’s going to be really powerful at low levels and then not get any better over time.
3. I’m not sure what you’re aiming for with Deft Explorer. You say that you can use canny/tireless/roving once per short rest, but then don’t give a duration or anything for any of them. Tireless still says it recharges on a long rest as well.
4. I just saw Quick on Your Feet and that is insanely overpowered. You’re giving warlock spell slots that recharge on an action?!
5. Does Natural Magic require you to be in nature? Is the only requirement not traveling at double speed?

Overall, I like a lot of your changes, but some of it seems weird/unnecessary.

None of the rangers that WotC have given us fit that description. Ergo my attempt. To answer your questions:
1. I think being Short Rest based is often given the short shrift. It has many advantages to it. And I liked the feel of it. A character that was able to make quick decisions (not just casting was based off of the Short Rest mechanic) and be what it needed to be in the moment to achieve success. In another moment they might need to be something else. But they could never be all things at all times. It might seem like a nerf, but in my experience it's not that bad.
2. It's actually a combination of the Dual Wielder feat and the Two Weapon Fighting Skill. And I did it that way because, I've yet to see an effective way to do dual wielding. Which very much fits with the aesthetic of a Ranger. A player choosing to play a Ranger should have the option of embracing that style. But if they do, they miss out on other Fighting Skills. Because you pick and choose. If you can think of a better way to do Two Weapon Fighting, I'm all ears.
3. Thanks for finding the mistake that I'd overlooked. If you actually look, the last thing that Deft Explorer says before going into the 3 options is that each of those options ends at the end of the next Short Rest. So you would have to choose what kind of ranger you would want to be again.
By not locking the player in permanently like WotC did in their rewrite, you enable the Ranger to be a bit of everything. A Jack of All Trades without being king of the party. They don't get everything. But they might get just what they need in the moment.
4. Thanks for bringing this up. I may have to tweak that. Because I'm used to thinking in terms of mechanics. WotC made 5e with the expectation that players would only get 2 Short Rests per Long Rest. Whether that happens in a single day of gaming, or the group goes for the grittier side of play, the ratio is what they intended. So my players can never get more than 2 short rests per long rest (barring the UA psionic ability Metabolic Control). Perhaps I should rephrase it that this can only be done once per Long Rest.
Essentially I was going for the feel that a Ranger can find hidden reserves of energy in the middle of a fight to be able to carry on the fight. With use of HD healing and renewed spell slots (and possibly changing their allocation of Deft Explorer). It wasn't intended to provide unlimited spell slots.
5. Nature Magic does in fact require you to be in nature. I didn't include that. It would be up to the DM decide what they considered 'Nature'.

Thanks again Aeriox.

paladinn
2020-04-23, 04:23 PM
Reworking the Ranger is a real conundrum, because the class has no real clear purpose anymore. Is a Ranger a fighter at heart or a rogue? Is s/he a martial with extras or a junior druid? Kane0 and I did a lot of work on redesigning the class and in the end, I felt like we were still in the weeds.

I personally prefer a spell-less ranger. Spells should be mainly for spellcasters. Special abilities are fine, but not full spells. I can see the ranger as another fighter subclass really.

Other than skills like tracking, what is the ranger's "thing?" Fighters, paladins and rangers all get fighting styles. Anyone can conceivably get skills. Rogues are good at hiding, evading, etc. I would say there are two "things" particular to the ranger: favored enemy/foe and favored terrain. I prefer favored foe over favored enemy as it is less situational. Even with favored enemy, there should be a means of using against something besides one's favored enemy. Pathfinder had a "spell" called Instant Enemy that allows this. It should be a limited-use class ability. Favored Terrain should give some sort of resistance to an element from that terrain: cold from arctic terrain, fire from desert, etc.

Just my $.02 worth

Garfunion
2020-04-23, 07:13 PM
If the fighter can focus on either range or melee weapon fighting styles and the paladin focuses on melee weapon fighting styles with spells. Why don’t we have the Ranger focused on ranged weapon fighting styles with spells.

Aeriox
2020-04-23, 08:42 PM
1.Ok, if you like it. I don’t actually have much experience with warlocks, having never played one.
2. Yeah, I’ve always wanted to try to fix two weapon fighting. This thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?606090-How-to-improve-two-weapon-fighting) has some good ideas. The problem with just giving everything at second level is that it will be extremely good for a few levels and then trail off even more than before.
3. Wow, I completely missed that line. That’s pretty cool, but something about being 5 feet faster, and then taking a short rest and being slower just seems weird. It’s cool mechanically, although if you have optimizing players being able to change your expertise might be used a lot. Being able to say “if you wait an hour I’ll be really stealthy/perceptive/whatever else could be abused.
4. Once per long rest would definitely be less powerful, and as long as the party has multiple encounters and short rests it should be fine. It would allow you to cast say Steel Wind Strike four times in a row but that would be at like 19th level.
5. Ok cool. I really like this feature, actually; it makes the ranger feel different while not doing that much.
Have you considered messing with the subclasses at all?

thoroughlyS
2020-04-30, 09:21 AM
If you can think of a better way to do Two Weapon Fighting, I'm all ears.
The best way to fix Two-Weapon Fighting is to address the real disparity between it and other fighting styles: the action economy. I've done the math on the damage output before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23531862&postcount=51), and Two-Weapon Fighting only ever dealt more damage before Extra Attack became a factor. Post Extra Attack, the difference in damage was a mere 1.5 points per round (in favor of a Greatsword with Great Weapon Fighting). Based on that, I propose the following change to Two-Weapon Fighting:
If you have the Extra Attack feature (Thirsting Blade, etc.), the off-hand attack is made as a part of the Attack action instead.

GorogIrongut
2020-04-30, 11:14 AM
The best way to fix Two-Weapon Fighting is to address the real disparity between it and other fighting styles: the action economy. I've done the math on the damage output before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=23531862&postcount=51), and Two-Weapon Fighting only ever dealt more damage before Extra Attack became a factor. Post Extra Attack, the difference in damage was a mere 1.5 points per round (in favor of a Greatsword with Great Weapon Fighting). Based on that, I propose the following change to Two-Weapon Fighting:
If you have the Extra Attack feature (Thirsting Blade, etc.), the off-hand attack is made as a part of the Attack action instead.

That's interesting. Sorry I haven't been around as much guys on this thread but I got busy. I like this option. But in the other thread, I quite like the suggestion of rending (i.e. that if both attacks hit you get to add proficiency modifier to the attack).

Perhaps a mix of the two...?

If you have the Extra Attack feature, the off-hand attack is made as a part of the Attack action instead. If all attacks made during the Attack action successfully hit, then you can add your proficiency modifier to the damage of one of those attacks.

thoroughlyS
2020-05-01, 12:01 AM
If all attacks made during the Attack action successfully hit, then you can add your proficiency modifier to the damage of one of those attacks.
That sounds more like the kind of benefit that could be added to the feat to buff it up. Sure it won't compare to Great Weapon Master, but nothing else does anyway.

In my opinion, the only changes that should be made to the base concept of Two-Weapon Fighting should be those which eliminate the biggest disparity between it and other fighting styles. After that, you can compare the actual Fighting Style features (i.e. those features granted by Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger) to see if they line up. Then you can compare things like feats.

But we're getting off-topic. In regards to your ranger:

Friend to Some, Enemy to Many
1st-level ranger feature (replaces Favoured Enemy)
Traveling puts you in contact with many different societies and cultures be they civilized, animal or monstrous. You have learned to interact with all of them on at least a basic level. You are able to attempt to communicate with any creature of intelligence 4 or higher. You are able to establish rudimentary communication after a successful Wis Check. The DM determines how rudimentary but you should be able to identify mood, intent, and short term needs at the very minimum.
Any creature you have interacted with in the past month is still fresh in your mind. You have advantage on all Wis (Survival) checks to track them. If they are within a mile of your current location you are able to divine their rough location and numbers.
This won't work on most animals, and I'm not sure whether that's intentional or not. Flat advantage to tracking is fine, if a little boring. Big question: how long does this take to do?

Deft Explorer
1st-level ranger feature (replaces Natural Explorer)

You are an unsurpassed explorer and survivor. Once per Short Rest you may choose one of the following benefits. At 6th and then 10th level you are able choose an extra one of these benefits per Short Rest. These benefits end when a Short Rest is next taken.
The actual features are lifted directly from Unearthed Arcana. Which isn't a bad thing, as this was my favorite variant for the ranger. I understand making this flexible to fit the strong direction you are taking for the ranger, but I have my reservations.

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.
When making a ranged attack while you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll. Your ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover against targets within 30 feet of you. You have a +1 bonus to attack rolls on ranged attacks.
Close Quarters Shooter is stupid and overly powerful and should never see play. I also notice the lack of Dueling. Any particular reason or was it left off?

Natural Magic
The Ranger is in tune with nature and able to harvest the most basic components used to create magic. While other casters use rote magic with formulae and mystical components, the Ranger is able to harness magic at it's most basic level.
When casting with Natural Magic, any casting of a Ranger spell is done without V/S/M unless there are components that are consumed in the casting. If this is the case then the component cost can be replaced by objects of an equal value. The rest of Natural Magic continues to apply. Natural Magic can only be used if the Ranger has spent half of the preceding day in Nature as it takes time for them to find the necessary ingredients.
The ranger is able to double the casting time of the spell and make it proof against counterspells and anti magic defenses.
Alright, these are both really out of line. No verbal or somatic components means a ranger can cast without breaking stealth (which they now have expertise in) and can even cast while paralyzed. And making magic impervious to dispelling just really clashes with D&D's system. Sure it won't come up often, but I don't think it really has any place in a player's hands.

Spell Slots
The Ranger table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your ranger spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.

Ranger Spellcasting Table
Lvl Known Slots Slot Level
2 2 1 1st
3 3 1 1st
4 3 1 1st
5 4 2 2nd
6 4 2 2nd
7 5 2 2nd
8 5 2 2nd
9 6 2 3rd
10 6 2 3rd
11 7 2 3rd
12 7 2 3rd
13 8 2 4th
14 8 2 4th
15 9 2 4th
16 9 2 4th
17 10 2 5th
18 10 2 5th
19 11 2 5th
20 11 3 5th
Switching to short rest casting is fine, but I really don't like that this progression doesn't resemble the warlock's in any way. The official ranger is a "half-caster" and their progression is identical to a "full caster" just with two levels for each step. I feel like that should be done here as well (well, not quite because the middle levels for warlock are terrible in terms of spell slots—but that is another issue all together).

Quick on Your Feet
3rd-level ranger feature (replaces Primeval Awareness)

Life in the wild has danger at every turn. You have learned how to take what succour you can in the few moments it's available to you. You gain the following benefits:
• You ignore difficult terrain.
• You can take one short rest over a single round. This can only occur once per a long rest. A long rest and/or a full night's sleep occurs over 4 hours for a Ranger..
• A ranger is capable of travelling at double speed while travelling through the wild. If this is done, then Natural Magic no longer applies to their casting for that day. Travelling at normal speed stealthily also negates the benefits of Natural Magic to their casting for that day.
Just absurd. Healing to full and regaining all spell slots in one turn. Sure, you're not doing anything in that turn, but next turn you're back in the game giving 100% regardless of how you were when you started.

Smaller quibble, why have one feature that says that you can't use another feature you have? That's just bad design.

Favored Foe
You can call on your bond with nature to mark a creature as your favored enemy for a time: you know the hunter’s mark spell, and Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it. You can use it a certain number of times without expending a spell slot and without requiring concentration—a number of times equal to half your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a short rest.
Hunter's Mark is cast at the slot level that your spell slots are currently at.
And my least favorite variant. Flat damage boost. Boring and unnecessary for the ranger here. It's not terrible, I'm just not a fan.

Unexpected Allies
You learn to cast the spell Find Familiar. This spell does not count against the number of Ranger Spells Known.
If you encounter a creature in your travels that you have befriended. You may make an Animal Handling (Wis) check to see if this creature would be willing to travel with you for a while. Until the creature has parted ways with you, you are no longer able to cast Find Familiar (even if you've obtained it a different way).
This creature has no restrictions and is treated as an NPC controlled by the DM. An NPC that has a particular interest in your well being.
I'm going to be real here. This feature kind of steps on the DMs toes by letting a player decide whether or not the party gets an NPC companion. That's basically what this feature amounts to, moving something from the DM to you as a player. This can only disrupt a table, because if your DM wants you to have a companion like this they can give it to you without this, and if they don't then they aren't really going to give you a ton of mileage out of this and basically turn this into a dead level.

Elusive Prey
Beginning at 14th level, you can use the Dash or Hide actions as a bonus action on your turn. Also, you can't be tracked unless you choose to leave a trail.
Ah, adding in another thrid of Cunning Action. This doesn't really fix the problem of this feature coming 12 levels too late. I personally move Vanish down to Tier 2 where it can feel more like a respectable addition to your repertoire.

Foe Slayer
At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter. You can add your Wisdom modifier to the attack roll or the damage roll of any attack you make. You can choose to use this feature before or after the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied.
Taken from the Revised Ranger. A practical fix to the feature in the official ranger, but boring and uninspired. Again, not terrible, I'm just not a fan.

D.U.P.A.
2020-05-01, 08:52 PM
Not sure if you want to discuss your Ranger, but also discuss the original Ranger too, I just wanted to point out where is the problem with the original ones. It is levels 1, 10, maybe 14 or 20.

Especially problematic is the level 1, really bad design, those are features that require some discussion and thinking, follows you in your entire career and has no combat benefits. Usually at level 1 you want to make a character quickly and deciding all those things that would not even come useful can be annoying and you require some combat boost, first of all, level 1 characters are very weak and every combat feature helps, second, you want to have some taste of the class being played and you are reduced to basically featureless character with some irrelevant fluff. And having access to martial weapons would not call a feature really. Ability to change favored enemy and terrain would be much flexible, just removing the new ones you get at higher levels, just a switch feature after you spent a day or a week. Paladin has not that exciting features either at level 1, but still much much better.

Primeval awareness at level 3 would make sense to be useful like once a short rest, not spending one of the few spells slots you have, but still does not hurt, as you already get archetype of class, which are usually good.

Level 10 feature should be more like Pass without a trace thing, not something that you have to be in particular terrain, taking so much time without moving, feels something that every class could do with all those requirements. Maybe this is what should Vanish feature, which is still weak. Adding something that a party with Ranger can stealth at normal pace in addition to this feature would not broke anything.

Having only one of Rogue's cunning actions really feels bad at level 14, maybe if they include all of them can be acceptable.

The capstone would okay-ish, if you were able to change favored things, but there is a big chance it will do nothing. Or just make it for all enemies, it would still not be broken like some other capstones.

Other features are totally fine. I reviewed only the base class, subclasses are a discussion for another day.

djreynolds
2020-05-01, 10:00 PM
I had an idea... years old.

The ranger should mirror the paladin.

They should get aura...esque abilities. I know it comes off as a travel guide... but so what.

All based on half your ranger level a long rest.

At 3rd level you can give allies advantage on any skill check pertaining to your favored terrain or enemy.

At 6th level you can give a party member advantage versus a favored enemy.

At 9th level say you can use your reaction to give your favored enemy disadvantage on attack versus an ally.

GorogIrongut
2020-05-02, 10:58 AM
So. Part of the reason why I haven't been as active on this thread is because I'd begun to have thoughts of how to do a drastic rewrite to the Ranger. If you noticed, the version I first submitted was very similar in many points to the WotC version(s). I did this to avoid doing anything too drastic and because people tend to accept what is most familiar. But after listening to your feedback, I think that approach is wrong.

So I'm going to include where my thoughts were going... and were potentially influenced by your comments.

Ranger

Far from the bustle of cities and towns, past the hedges that shelter the most distant farms from the terrors of the wild, amid the dense-packed trees of trackless forests and across wide and empty plains, rangers keep their unending watch.

You must have a Dexterity score and a Wisdom score of 13 or higher in order to multiclass in or out of this class.

Class Features
As a ranger, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per ranger level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per ranger level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills: Choose three from Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Stealth, and Survival

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) scale mail or (b) leather armor
• (a) two shortswords or (b) two simple melee weapons
• (a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
• A longbow and a quiver of 20 arrows

Nature's Ally: You live in Nature and know its secrets better than most. She provides you weapons when you go to war and She succours you when you return home wounded. And because of this close relationship, when Nature has been damaged, you rise up in righteous vengeance.
At first level, your herbcraft enables you to harness the wonders of Nature to your own benefit. You are able to do one of the following things a number of times equal to your Wisdom Modifier (minimum of 1) per short rest. You may only use one per round.
-Gazelle's Pace: Your movement increases by 10' for 5 minutes. You ignore difficult terrain.
-Lion's Fury: For the next minute, you are able to add your Proficiency modifier to the damage you deal on one attack per turn.
-Mother's Embrace: As a Bonus Action, you are able to expend Hit Dice equal to your Wisdom Modifier as if you were healing on a Rest.
-Immutable Rock: As a Reaction you may reroll a failed Saving Throw. You may only do this once per Short or Long Rest.
-Monkey's Tricks: As a Bonus Action, you gain Advantage on the next Weapon Attack you make. (Intended to be melee or ranged)

You take as your enemy, anything that damages Nature. It matters not what species, whomever subverts the ordained path of Nature will feel your fury. If you come across someone doing so, you gain a +4 to hit and damage the perpetrators. If you choose not to act, your DM will tell you if you lose your ability to use Nature's Ally for a week. You will lose access to Nature's Ally if you knowingly damage Nature without making immediate restitution.

These abilities come from the basic magic found in every living thing. They can neither be counterspelled and they function in anti magic environments. But these little magics come from nature and so you must spend time in Nature harvesting them for a future use. If you are in a city for more than a week, to continue to use this ability you must visit herbologists and spend 10 x your levels as a ranger in GP per week.

Student of All Under the Heavens
At level 1 you gain this ability.
While you may not benefit from book learning, you spend your every moment embracing Nature. You may designate one of the Ranger Proficiencies that you chose. This skill is counted as having expertise. At level 6, any of the Ranger skills you didn't take proficiency in now benefit from half of your proficiency modifier.

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if somehow you later get to choose again.
• Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
• Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
• Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
• Duel Wielder
• You are able to make an attack with your off-hand weapon in addition to any other attacks made during your attack action.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
• You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.
• Druidic Warrior (UA)
You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. They count as ranger spells for you, and Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for them. Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of these cantrips with another cantrip from the druid spell list.
• Blinding Fighting (UA)
Being unable to see a creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it, provided the creature isn’t hidden from you.

Spellcasting
By the time you reach 2nd level, you have learned to use the magical essence of nature to cast spells, much as a druid does.

Natural Magic
When casting with Natural Magic, any casting of a Ranger spell is done without V/M unless there are components that are consumed in the casting. If this is the case then the component cost can be replaced by objects of an equal value. The rest of Natural Magic continues to apply. Natural Magic can only be used if the Ranger has spent half of the preceding day in Nature as it takes time for them to find the necessary ingredients.

Spell Slots
The Ranger table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Animal Friendship and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Animal Friendship using either slot.

You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the ranger spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Ranger table shows when you learn more ranger spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 5th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the ranger spells you know and replace it with another spell from the ranger spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your ranger spells, since your magic draws on your attunement to nature. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a ranger spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Primeval Awareness
At 3rd level your bond with Nature has grown. You gain the ability to cast Find Familiar. This does not count against the number of Ranger Spells Known. Instead of summoning a Fey, etc., you actually summon a creature from the surrounding area. This is determined by the DM. While this creature follows all rules from the Find Familiar spell, it cannot be dismissed and will die if it drops to zero hit points.

You are able, through a combination of magic, scent, and tracking, to identify if someone or something has passed within a 1000 feet of where you are. This 'trail' can be hid using magic unless the ranger is within 100' of it. At this point, as long as the ranger chooses to follow the trail, they cannot be shaken from it even if magic is used (invisibility, etc.)

Your link with Nature is such that you can spend 10 minutes communing. At the end of the 10 minutes you are made aware of any deviations from the natural order occurring in the terrain. As an ally of Nature you would be expected to restore the natural order.

Ranger Conclave
At 3rd level, you choose to emulate the ideals and training of a ranger conclave:
• Beast Master
• Fey Wanderer (UA)
• Gloom Stalker
• Horizon Walker
• Hunter
• Monster Slayer
• Primeval Guardian (UA)
• Swarmkeeper (UA)

Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 11th, and 15th level.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Nature's Allies:

You are able to extend the benefits of your Nature's Ally ability to any companion of your choice. They must be within 30' of you and any HD expended are their own. Any person who has been your companion for a month receives a +2 to hit/damage anything they find damaging the natural order. If they knowingly harmed Nature, then they lose access to any benefit from Nature's Allies for a month.

Unexpected Allies
If you encounter a creature in your travels that you have gone out of your way to befriend, you may make an Animal Handling (Wis) check to see if this creature would be willing to travel with you for a while. Until the creature has parted ways with you, you are no longer able to cast Find Familiar (even if you've obtained it a different way).

Fade Away
You can use a bonus action to magically become invisible, along with any equipment you are wearing or carrying, until the start of your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Elusive Prey

Feral Senses
At 18th level, you gain preternatural senses that help you fight creatures you can't see. When you attack a creature you can't see, your inability to see it doesn't impose disadvantage on your attack rolls against it.
You are also aware of the location of any invisible creature within 30 feet of you, provided that the creature isn't hidden from you and you aren't blinded or deafened.

Foe Slayer

Rather than go into the effort of making a Short Rest/Half Caster, I just returned the casting as per normal to the Ranger.

I also decided to leave 10th level plus as they were. Because the hardest to balance is the lower levels.

So... Do you like the changes? I'm a big fan of Nature's Ally/Allies.

thoroughlyS
2020-05-03, 06:47 AM
Nature's Ally: You live in Nature and know its secrets better than most. She provides you weapons when you go to war and She succours you when you return home wounded. And because of this close relationship, when Nature has been damaged, you rise up in righteous vengeance.
At first level, your herbcraft enables you to harness the wonders of Nature to your own benefit. You are able to do one of the following things a number of times equal to your Wisdom Modifier (minimum of 1) per short rest. You may only use one per round.
-Gazelle's Pace: Your movement increases by 10' for 5 minutes. You ignore difficult terrain.
-Lion's Fury: For the next minute, you are able to add your Proficiency modifier to the damage you deal on one attack per turn.
-Mother's Embrace: As a Bonus Action, you are able to expend Hit Dice equal to your Wisdom Modifier as if you were healing on a Rest.
-Immutable Rock: As a Reaction you may reroll a failed Saving Throw. You may only do this once per Short or Long Rest.
-Monkey's Tricks: As a Bonus Action, you gain Advantage on the next Weapon Attack you make. (Intended to be melee or ranged)
When it says "you are able to do one of the following things", does that mean this works like a Fighting Style (i.e. choose one option when you get this feature, and that's what you can do)? Or does it mean that you can choose one each short rest? Or do you have access to all of these things and can perform any combination up to WIS mod per short rest? I'm on board if it's supposed to be like a fighting style, or—knowing you—I could understand wanting to be able to switch it up on a short rest. But being able to choose any of these at any time is a crazy amount of versatility for a 1st level feature.
5 minutes is kind of out of place in D&D. I would stick with either 1 minute (if it is exclusively for 1 combat) or 10 minutes (if it's supposed to be more versatile).
I would make it Hit Dice up to your WIS mod instead of equal to your WIS mod. Both for consistency with other effects already in the game, and allowing for more player decision making.
Giving rangers a better Indomitable at 1st level really steps on the fighter's toes.

You take as your enemy, anything that damages Nature. It matters not what species, whomever subverts the ordained path of Nature will feel your fury. If you come across someone doing so, you gain a +4 to hit and damage the perpetrators. If you choose not to act, your DM will tell you if you lose your ability to use Nature's Ally for a week. You will lose access to Nature's Ally if you knowingly damage Nature without making immediate restitution.

These abilities come from the basic magic found in every living thing. They can neither be counterspelled and they function in anti magic environments. But these little magics come from nature and so you must spend time in Nature harvesting them for a future use. If you are in a city for more than a week, to continue to use this ability you must visit herbologists and spend 10 x your levels as a ranger in GP per week.
+4 to hit at 1st level is just bananas. It completely tosses bounded accuracy out the window. Absolutely unnecessary. And +4 to damage is kind of out there too. I understand that this won't apply in every fight, but if it does, it completely changes the difficulty. On top of that, the qualifying factor is so subjective that the player will always have to ask if they get the bonus (and with a bonus this big, they are definitely going to be asking).

Losing access to class features is the kind of thing that we left behind in v3.5, and I as a veteran of that era am glad to see it gone. On top of that, having to pay money to keep a class feature is the kind of thing that was left behind in 2nd Edition. It can make playing a ranger tedious and unfun. I understand that you want these aspects to represent the kind of discipline you expect of rangers in your world, but they just don't belong in 5e.

Student of All Under the Heavens
At level 1 you gain this ability.
While you may not benefit from book learning, you spend your every moment embracing Nature. You may designate one of the Ranger Proficiencies that you chose. This skill is counted as having expertise. At level 6, any of the Ranger skills you didn't take proficiency in now benefit from half of your proficiency modifier.
Very heavily leaning into being a skillmonkey. I don't see anything too upsetting here, although I find it kind of boring.

• Duel Wielder
• You are able to make an attack with your off-hand weapon in addition to any other attacks made during your attack action.
• You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t light.
Again, Close Quarters Shooter was a stupid addition to the game. It staples together three very nice benefits from features that already existed with a "restriction" that barely ever becomes an issue (most combats take place within 30 feet).

I think you misunderstood my point about Two-Weapon Fighting. Rolling the off-hand attack into the Attack action should only happen after the player gets Extra Attack, and should be an automatic part of the game, that any character can benefit from. This is because before Extra Attack comes into play, Two-Weapon Fighting deals significantly more damage than any other fighting style, but after Extra Attack the other fighting styles catch up (and in some cases slightly outperform it). And other characters (like Barbarians) shouldn't have to dip into a class with the fighting style just to stay competitive. The way you have it set up, a Rogue could take a dip into Ranger and now has two chances to sneak attack each turn, without any additional effort. Also, the way this is written rangers do not get their attack mod to the off-hand attack.

Natural Magic
When casting with Natural Magic, any casting of a Ranger spell is done without V/M unless there are components that are consumed in the casting. If this is the case then the component cost can be replaced by objects of an equal value. The rest of Natural Magic continues to apply. Natural Magic can only be used if the Ranger has spent half of the preceding day in Nature as it takes time for them to find the necessary ingredients.
I see that you took my warning about removing components seriously, but I was predominantly talking about verbal components before. Honestly it's arguable whether somatic components even break stealth (they don't at my table). What exactly are you trying to accomplish by allowing rangers to cast without components? If I know that, I might be able to suggest a balanced feature.

I see you decided to keep the "can't be counterspelled" part, and I still think its a bad idea. Also, it just occurred to me: what does doubling the casting time mean? If a spell takes two actions to cast, does a ranger start casting one turn and finish casting the next? What about a spell that takes a bonus action? This creates an entire new mess of questions that just don't belong in 5e.

You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the ranger spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Ranger table shows when you learn more ranger spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 5th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Here is one of the actual biggest problems facing the ranger. They have a pitiful number of spells known. Did you know that the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster learn more spells than a ranger? I assume you're using the same progression as the PHB, because I didn't see a different table anywhere. I personally start them off with three and give them one at every level except 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th (These are the levels where they get extra slots but not a new spell level).

Primeval Awareness
At 3rd level your bond with Nature has grown. You gain the ability to cast Find Familiar. This does not count against the number of Ranger Spells Known. Instead of summoning a Fey, etc., you actually summon a creature from the surrounding area. This is determined by the DM. While this creature follows all rules from the Find Familiar spell, it cannot be dismissed and will die if it drops to zero hit points.
Without ritual casting, this takes a spell slot to use every time the ranger uses it. I recommend using the work around from pact of the chain.

You are able, through a combination of magic, scent, and tracking, to identify if someone or something has passed within a 1000 feet of where you are. This 'trail' can be hid using magic unless the ranger is within 100' of it. At this point, as long as the ranger chooses to follow the trail, they cannot be shaken from it even if magic is used (invisibility, etc.)
What kind of time does it take to do this? An action? A minute? Can this be done a limited number of times? Even if it's only once per long rest, this can trivialize some challenges. I hope you don't want to use recurring villains, because there is NO WAY you can have them "slip away" without outright cheating.

Your link with Nature is such that you can spend 10 minutes communing. At the end of the 10 minutes you are made aware of any deviations from the natural order occurring in the terrain. As an ally of Nature you would be expected to restore the natural order.
You very clearly want this to be a major part of this class, so why make it so tedious to use? Why not just copy the Divine Sense of a paladin, maybe with an extended range? The way this is written, I don't think this will ever come up unless you outright tell the player to use it. Also, this suffers from the same flaws as the PHB primeaval awareness, in that it is too vague. The way this is written, it sounds like you might just give a binary yes/no. "You open your senses and find out that this forest is being wronged by outsiders. Good luck finding them".

Nature's Allies:
Again, unnecessary damage boost and boring to boot.

You are able to extend the benefits of your Nature's Ally ability to any companion of your choice. They must be within 30' of you and any HD expended are their own. Any person who has been your companion for a month receives a +2 to hit/damage anything they find damaging the natural order. If they knowingly harmed Nature, then they lose access to any benefit from Nature's Allies for a month.
Is there no cost to this? Now every single party member can get advantage WIS mod times per short rest? Or add their proficiency to damage for a combat? I mean, they have to stay within 30 feet of you, but there's no action cost listed, so is this like an aura? If I start my turn 40 feet away, but walk up next to the ranger, can I benefit from this automatically? And again, the to hit boost is not good for the game.

Unexpected Allies
If you encounter a creature in your travels that you have gone out of your way to befriend, you may make an Animal Handling (Wis) check to see if this creature would be willing to travel with you for a while. Until the creature has parted ways with you, you are no longer able to cast Find Familiar (even if you've obtained it a different way).
Again, this is a thing the DM should have control over. Not the player. Trying to change that will only lead to problems.

Fade Away

Elusive Prey

Feral Senses

Foe Slayer
Fade away is a good variant. Elusive prey still comes insultingly late. Feral Senses is still fine. Foe Slayer is still an insulting capstone. Understand that these are not your fault, but the later levels of ranger are where the class really can use some love.

thoroughlyS
2020-05-03, 06:50 AM
For reference, this (https://drive.google.com/open?id=14KhbCFDeVeTDT8VdR1Bra5RzrHGjJggD) is my attempt at a ranger fix with the main goal of staying as close to the original design's directions as possible while still making the class fun and engaging to build.

Stuff in black is straight from the SRD.
Stuff in blue came from the revised ranger.
Changes to features are in red.
Additions to the class are in green.