PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying First 5e character - Tiefling Warlock

Chester
2020-04-23, 07:48 AM
It's about time. I'm making the leap from 3.5 to 5th edition.

All I did was play around with the charactermancer from roll20, and ended up putting together a bare-bones tiefling warlock. I wasn't necessarily looking for that, as I was supposed to DM in this just playing the character shade, but I now have the opportunity to play it instead.

So it looks like a tiefling warlock is a pretty popular race/class combination. Ok, fine. I'm not really looking to optimize, it's just how it happened.

Question I have, really, has to do with the otherworldly patrons selection. It's like the Fiend is meant for tieflings, but is there any reason why the great old one couldn't work for a tiefling warlock?

JellyPooga
2020-04-23, 08:04 AM
No reason at all.

While a Fiend Patron might seem to fit thematically for a Tiefling, so might any other; after all, not all Tieflings are going to want to pursue their infernal heritage. Some might even intentionally avoid such association, whether to try and be seen as not being a slave to their blood in order to fit in to common society, or because they know how treacherous fiends can be.

Never forget that Tieflings aren't Fiends themselves. They have as much freedom to choose their fate as any other mortal.

From a mechanical point of view, GOO Patron is actually pretty good for a Tiefling. The Int boost works well for the illusions and mind tricks that GOOlocks favour. So, you know, there's that too...

CBAnaesthesia
2020-04-23, 08:10 AM
It's about time. I'm making the leap from 3.5 to 5th edition.

All I did was play around with the charactermancer from roll20, and ended up putting together a bare-bones tiefling warlock. I wasn't necessarily looking for that, as I was supposed to DM in this just playing the character shade, but I now have the opportunity to play it instead.

So it looks like a tiefling warlock is a pretty popular race/class combination. Ok, fine. I'm not really looking to optimize, it's just how it happened.

Question I have, really, has to do with the otherworldly patrons selection. It's like the Fiend is meant for tieflings, but is there any reason why the great old one couldn't work for a tiefling warlock?

It works just fine I think, and for any Pact as well (though Tome is maybe a little easier to justify in my opinion what with the whole "forbidden knowledge" theme of GOOlocks, and it's a strong pact besides).

Chester
2020-04-23, 08:12 AM
Thank you both. I was looking for some justification, and I got it!