PDA

View Full Version : stealth sorcerer help

magwaaf
2020-04-23, 02:57 PM
so i'm going with the ectoplasmic bloodline and i want to play a sorcerer and i am trying to find ideas to plan how to play him stealthily because i wanna pop out of the shadows and hit with entangle spells. i am trying to find out is what there is for feats, spells, gear, anything to help. this is my first time playing a full caster and i'm very lost.

greater shadow armor enchant and invis spells are all i really know about so far. thanks for any help

Maat Mons
2020-04-23, 03:53 PM
Maybe go Crossblooded with the Shadow Bloodline for Hide in Plain Sight?

Kurald Galain
2020-04-23, 04:03 PM
Sipping Jacket, fill with Vanish potions.

Psyren
2020-04-24, 08:40 AM
If you're going Crossblooded, I would recommend the Psychic bloodline. There's a decent amount of fluff overlap between Psychic and Ectoplasm, and the removal of verbal and somatic components helps a great deal with casting sneakily. (Be sure to grab Cunning Caster or Conceal Spell.)

magwaaf
2020-04-24, 09:23 AM
sorry, i should've said i'm just sticking to one bloodline, first time playing a caster so i'm keeping it simple but i am going to look at that stuff for ideas

i'm gonna suck at this lol

Psyren
2020-04-24, 09:28 AM
You can still go Cunning Caster without being Psychic, it will just be harder since you need to hide your verbal and somatic components too.

Alternatively - if you don't care about your casting being noticeable and just want to stay hidden in a fight while you do it, pick up some illusions like the aforementioned Vanish.

Draconi Redfir
2020-04-24, 09:38 AM
skill focus (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/skill-focus/): stealth is probably a good one to go for. this will give you a flat +3 bonus to your stealth skill, which gets bumped up to a +6 if you put ten or more ranks into the skill.

if you can make it to 4th level spells, Shadow-step (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-step/) will probably help out as well. it lets you step into a shadow, then move to another shadowy location.

probably a few other things too. i'd recommend just looking at as many magical items (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/) as you can, just to see what you can find.

bean illus
2020-04-24, 01:08 PM
Besides the fact that sorcerer doesn't get entangle on its spell list ...

Darkstalker feat is badass. Greater invisibility is mandatory. Then you still need silent spell feat.

I'm not very familiar with the spell list, but beguiler might be a base class worth looking at. It's specifically stealthy, with nice a skill list, and Int synergy for LOTS of skill points. There's a handbook.

Also, chameleon is a super stealthy class, with entangle (and every other 6th or lower spell in the game). A common entry is factotum 3, which adds Int to stealth skills and damage.

Psyren
2020-04-24, 01:25 PM
I think OP is playing Pathfinder since we're talking about bloodlines, so you'd want Dampen Presence rather than Darkstalker. While entangle isn't on the sorcerer list, the Ectoplasmic bloodline has Ectoplasmic Snare, which entangles the target.

bean illus
2020-04-24, 01:51 PM
I think OP is playing Pathfinder since we're talking about bloodlines, so you'd want Dampen Presence rather than Darkstalker. While entangle isn't on the sorcerer list, the Ectoplasmic bloodline has Ectoplasmic Snare, which entangles the target.

Thanks, i missed that. But, aren't there bloodlines in 3.5? I know/think that they're not used often?

Psyren
2020-04-24, 02:00 PM
Thanks, i missed that. But, aren't there bloodlines in 3.5? I know/think that they're not used often?

Yes - Paizo debuted the concept of sorcerer bloodlines there too (in Dragon Magazine / Dragon Compendium) - but Ectoplasmic is definitely a PF bloodline.

magwaaf
2020-04-24, 06:18 PM

yeah it slipped my mind that i should have mentioned Pathfinder. I'm also surprised that there are less sorc/wiz spells that entangle people. i'm gonna take rime spell and a couple of cold spells to try and make up for it.

magwaaf
2020-04-24, 06:36 PM
Besides the fact that sorcerer doesn't get entangle on its spell list ...

Darkstalker feat is badass. Greater invisibility is mandatory. Then you still need silent spell feat.

I'm not very familiar with the spell list, but beguiler might be a base class worth looking at. It's specifically stealthy, with nice a skill list, and Int synergy for LOTS of skill points. There's a handbook.

Also, chameleon is a super stealthy class, with entangle (and every other 6th or lower spell in the game). A common entry is factotum 3, which adds Int to stealth skills and damage.

yeah that is gonna be good lol thank you