PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hexblade build

Desamir
2020-04-23, 05:16 PM
Hey folks, I'm making a Hexblade for a campaign (probably Ghosts of Saltmarsh). I don't know Warlocks very well, so I read a few handbooks, but I'd really appreciate advice from the experts here.

Parameters:
- Half-elf
- Assume point buy and a free starting feat
- Hexblade, using a greatsword or polearm
- Master of disguise (mask of many faces + Actor feat)
- I'd like to fit in the Gift of the depths invocation, since this is a sea campaign
- Avoiding Darkness/Devil's Sight

Everything else is up for grabs.

Some questions I have:

1. GFB/BB vs. Thirsting Blade?
2. GWM vs. PAM vs. EA vs all?
3. Here are some spells I was thinking about, how do you rate them in your experience?

Armor of Agathys
Hex
Hold Person
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Hypnotic Pattern
Enemies Abound
Shadow of Moil
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Synaptic Static
Enervation
Hold Monster
Banishing Smite

Alucard89
2020-04-23, 05:22 PM
Hey folks, I'm making a Hexblade for a campaign (probably Ghosts of Saltmarsh). I don't know Warlocks very well, so I read a few handbooks, but I'd really appreciate advice from the experts here.

Parameters:
- Half-elf
- I'd like to fit in the Gift of the depths invocation, since this is a sea campaign

Some questions I have:

2. GWM vs. PAM vs. both?
3. Here are some spells I was thinking about, how do you rate them in your experience?

Armor of Agathys
Hex
Hold Person
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Hypnotic Pattern
Enemies Abound
Shadow of Moil
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Synaptic Static
Enervation
Hold Monster
Banishing Smite

Short, if you will play level 1-10 Variant Human with PAM + GWM is beter choice.

If you will play level 12+ - then Half-Elf with EA, GWM and PAM later is better choice in long run.

CBAnaesthesia
2020-04-23, 05:28 PM
2. GWM vs. PAM vs. both?

Armor of Agathys
Hex
Hold Person
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Hypnotic Pattern
Enemies Abound
Shadow of Moil
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Synaptic Static
Enervation
Hold Monster
Banishing Smite

Thirsting Blade is better but if you're taking Warcaster it's worth taking Booming Blade anyway.
AoA and Hex are very good. Misty Step and Mirror Image - great but maybe not for a Warlock since they don't scale. Hold Person is excellent provided you fight enough humanoids to make it worth it (and in that case, Hold Person + GWM is a fantastic combo). Hold Monster is better when you get it since it affects more enemy types.
Hypnotic Pattern is a great spell to open a fight.
Synaptic Static is very cool, Psychic damage and Int saves are both uncommon so you should be quite successful with it usually.

Desamir
2020-04-23, 05:38 PM
Short, if you will play level 1-10 Variant Human with PAM + GWM is beter choice.

If you will play level 12+ - then Half-Elf with EA, GWM and PAM later is better choice in long run.

I think Ghosts of Saltmarsh ends around level 12, so that would be the endgame for this character. Honestly Half-Elf is mostly an aesthetic choice.

Since I'm starting with 18 Cha (from Actor starting feat) that means by the end of the game I can pick up GWM and PAM and get that last +2 to Cha. If I wanted to abandon the Actor plan, I could also get EA. What order makes the most sense to get these?

Thirsting Blade is better but if you're taking Warcaster it's worth taking Booming Blade anyway.
AoA and Hex are very good. Misty Step and Mirror Image - great but maybe not for a Warlock since they don't scale. Hold Person is excellent provided you fight enough humanoids to make it worth it (and in that case, Hold Person + GWM is a fantastic combo). Hold Monster is better when you get it since it affects more enemy types.
Hypnotic Pattern is a great spell to open a fight.
Synaptic Static is very cool, Psychic damage and Int saves are both uncommon so you should be quite successful with it usually.

Thanks. AoA confuses me a bit, I'm not really sure when I should be using that over another concentration-free defensive buff like Mirror Image. I imagine Hex takes a backseat to better concentration spells in later levels (e.g. Shadow of Moil)?

Alucard89
2020-04-23, 05:44 PM

Parameters:
- Half-elf
- Avoiding Darkness/Devil's Sight

Some questions I have:

2. GWM vs. PAM vs. both?

Armor of Agathys
Hex
Hold Person
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Misty Step
Hypnotic Pattern
Enemies Abound
Shadow of Moil
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Synaptic Static
Enervation
Hold Monster
Banishing Smite

Now longer- if you plan to play Hexblade (PAM GWM Vuman or EA GWM PAM Half-Elf) then your spell list is not that important because in 99% of cases you will be using Darkness or Shadow of Moil to generate advantage for yourself and disadvantage on enemies. Rest of your spells of choice are good, but I would add Fly becaue it's great spell to fight vs Blindsight or Tremorsense enemies.

Now how to build.

If you play on 1-10. You go 14 DEX, 16 CON, 16 CHA Variant Human. Start with PAM, wield spear/quarterstaff + shield for nice 18 AC and 2 attacks. One with BB or GFB and then bonus action attack. Use it with Hex for more DPR on low levels.

Once you get to level 3- switch to Glaive and use Darkness + Devil's Sight and go in, attack two times, get out.

Once you are on level 4- pick GWM. Then on level 8 +2 CHA and level 12 +2 CHA.

Invocations: start with Devil's Sight + Fiendish Vigor, then switch to Devil's Sight and Imroved Pact Weapon and then add Thirsting Blade, then get that Agonizing Blast back so you have also range back up.

For Half Elf, start with 17 CHA and play with Eldricht Blast + Hex on level 1-5. Once level 4 pick Elven Accuracy and on level 5 get Thirsting Blade and switch to using Greatsword. Then on level 8 pick GWM and PAM on level 12 and +2 CHA on level 16.

And that's all there is to it really.

Alucard89
2020-04-23, 05:46 PM
I think Ghosts of Saltmarsh ends around level 12, so that would be the endgame for this character. Honestly Half-Elf is mostly an aesthetic choice.

Since I'm starting with 18 Cha (from Actor starting feat) that means by the end of the game I can pick up GWM and PAM and get that last +2 to Cha. If I wanted to abandon the Actor plan, I could also get EA. What order makes the most sense to get these?

Thanks. AoA confuses me a bit, I'm not really sure when I should be using that over another concentration-free defensive buff like Mirror Image. I imagine Hex takes a backseat to better concentration spells in later levels (e.g. Shadow of Moil)?

You have bonus feat at level 1? Then it would be better to pick EA instead of Actor. Then you could pick GWM on level 4 and PAM on level 8 and +2 CHA On level 12.

GWM makes sense to pick first if you have Elven Accuracy because EA actually offsets penalty really really well. You can take PAM after than.

Bobthewizard
2020-04-23, 07:29 PM
With PAM, I don't think you get the BA attack if you use BB or GFB. The cantrips are spells that let you make a weapon attack but are not the Attack action, which is what triggers the BA for PAM.

PAM is great at low levels, though. Adding the extra attack with modifier damage is great fun. So for a half-elf I'd start with 17 Cha and go PAM at 1, EA at 4 for 18 Cha, then GWM at 8.

The other options listed above are all viable, and human variant is likely better until level 8. PAM & GWM at 1, 18 CHA at 4, 20 CHA at 8. It let's you use GWM from the beginning but you never get that sweet triple advantage.

Between your CHA, proficiency and Mask of Many Faces, you'll be great at deception, so I'd likely wait on Actor until level 12.

CBAnaesthesia
2020-04-24, 09:31 AM
AoA confuses me a bit, I'm not really sure when I should be using that over another concentration-free defensive buff like Mirror Image.

For my 2cp, I think AoA works best when you're fighting either multiple weaker enemies or something with multiattack - basically when you're being beaten in action economy but each attack isn't strong enough to one-shot your AoA.
It's not the best at level 1 because the THP will probably only last for one hit, but if you can make it last for multiple hits, it's better because the attacker takes damage equal to the *initial* AoA hit points, not the *current* AoA hit points. So if you have it cast at level 3:
- You get hit for 11 damage, attacker takes 15 damage, AoA is down to 4HP
- You get hit for 9 damage, attacker takes 15 damage, AoA is gone, you take 5 damage
AoA is also easier to pre-cast since it lasts an hour.

MI is better against harder-hitting enemies (or ranged enemies obviously) that would definitely one-shot your AoA.

nickl_2000
2020-04-24, 10:28 AM
For my 2cp, I think AoA works best when you're fighting either multiple weaker enemies or something with multiattack - basically when you're being beaten in action economy but each attack isn't strong enough to one-shot your AoA.
It's not the best at level 1 because the THP will probably only last for one hit, but if you can make it last for multiple hits, it's better because the attacker takes damage equal to the *initial* AoA hit points, not the *current* AoA hit points. So if you have it cast at level 3:
- You get hit for 9 damage, attacker takes 15 damage, AoA is gone, you take 5 damage

MI is better against harder-hitting enemies (or ranged enemies obviously) that would definitely one-shot your AoA.

AoA also get better as you cast at higher levels as a Warlock. Mirror image doesn't.

Keravath
2020-04-24, 11:00 AM
A lot depends on what your goals and priorities are.

1) You get a free feat at level 1. If you choose variant human do you get 2 feats?
2) From a combat perspective, you probably want PAM as the first feat since GWM isn't very useful until later levels when your to hit modifier is higher and the -5 from GWM matters less.
3) If you go with bladelock then your invocations get pretty full with improved pact weapon and thirsting blade. Magic weapons aren't that common, especially polearms, so being able to create your own is essential.
4) Being a Master of Disguise will affect the rest of your build since it uses a feat and an invocation (it is a cool ability) but may conflict with your desire for PAM/GWM and other feats so you may have to decide which is more important to you.
5) Resilient con is almost essential for any melee warlock. You only have 2 spells/short rest. They will probably be used for concentration spells. Losing concentration is not good.
6) Shadow of Moil will likely be your go-to spell once you hit 7th level since it gives you advantage on your attacks and creatures attacking you have disadvantage. It increases your combat capability significantly.
7) Normally, you might use Darkness+devils sight for the same effect prior to level 7. This works with minimum negative effect on your party if your DM follows RAW for the vision rules. In addition, with a 10' reach and darkness, you can often move in, attack and move away and not interfere with the rest of the group at all so it is worth considering.

So your list of feats is - Actor, PAM, GWM, Resilient con - which doesn't leave much room for boosting cha unless you decide where you want to focus the character.

I have a very similar character at level 11 - 10 hexblade/1shadow sorcerer - variant human - PAM to start, GWM at 4, resilient con at 8 and will boost cha at 12 and 16. GWM at 4 was a bit of a waste since the -5 to hit with +10 damage is pretty balanced at that point (even when I was attacking with advantage much of the time using Darkness+Devils sight). However, at level 11 with the increases in proficiency, the trade off is more effective.

Desamir
2020-04-24, 08:36 PM
You have bonus feat at level 1? Then it would be better to pick EA instead of Actor. Then you could pick GWM on level 4 and PAM on level 8 and +2 CHA On level 12.

GWM makes sense to pick first if you have Elven Accuracy because EA actually offsets penalty really really well. You can take PAM after than.

With PAM, I don't think you get the BA attack if you use BB or GFB. The cantrips are spells that let you make a weapon attack but are not the Attack action, which is what triggers the BA for PAM.

PAM is great at low levels, though. Adding the extra attack with modifier damage is great fun. So for a half-elf I'd start with 17 Cha and go PAM at 1, EA at 4 for 18 Cha, then GWM at 8.

The other options listed above are all viable, and human variant is likely better until level 8. PAM & GWM at 1, 18 CHA at 4, 20 CHA at 8. It let's you use GWM from the beginning but you never get that sweet triple advantage.

Between your CHA, proficiency and Mask of Many Faces, you'll be great at deception, so I'd likely wait on Actor until level 12.

This is good input, thanks. I'm getting a sense of the feat priority now.

AoA also get better as you cast at higher levels as a Warlock. Mirror image doesn't.

Okay, this makes sense. So AoA and MI are both useful in different situations.

A lot depends on what your goals and priorities are.

1) You get a free feat at level 1. If you choose variant human do you get 2 feats?
2) From a combat perspective, you probably want PAM as the first feat since GWM isn't very useful until later levels when your to hit modifier is higher and the -5 from GWM matters less.
3) If you go with bladelock then your invocations get pretty full with improved pact weapon and thirsting blade. Magic weapons aren't that common, especially polearms, so being able to create your own is essential.
4) Being a Master of Disguise will affect the rest of your build since it uses a feat and an invocation (it is a cool ability) but may conflict with your desire for PAM/GWM and other feats so you may have to decide which is more important to you.
5) Resilient con is almost essential for any melee warlock. You only have 2 spells/short rest. They will probably be used for concentration spells. Losing concentration is not good.
6) Shadow of Moil will likely be your go-to spell once you hit 7th level since it gives you advantage on your attacks and creatures attacking you have disadvantage. It increases your combat capability significantly.
7) Normally, you might use Darkness+devils sight for the same effect prior to level 7. This works with minimum negative effect on your party if your DM follows RAW for the vision rules. In addition, with a 10' reach and darkness, you can often move in, attack and move away and not interfere with the rest of the group at all so it is worth considering.

So your list of feats is - Actor, PAM, GWM, Resilient con - which doesn't leave much room for boosting cha unless you decide where you want to focus the character.

I have a very similar character at level 11 - 10 hexblade/1shadow sorcerer - variant human - PAM to start, GWM at 4, resilient con at 8 and will boost cha at 12 and 16. GWM at 4 was a bit of a waste since the -5 to hit with +10 damage is pretty balanced at that point (even when I was attacking with advantage much of the time using Darkness+Devils sight). However, at level 11 with the increases in proficiency, the trade off is more effective.

If I want to stick with the character concept of a Half-Elf with the Actor feat, one option is to delay PAM until 12th level (when Lifedrinker kicks in) and go with Actor + EA + GWM. PAM is optimal but I've played a few polearm masters at this point and it appeals to me less.