PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Ancestral Guardian

EnnPeeCee
2020-04-23, 07:10 PM
I'm interested in building a theoretical character using the barbarian Path of Ancestral Guardian with ranged attacks. I really like the control capably Ancestral Protectors gives when used at range. Looking for some ideas for things that combo well with this set up.

I do understand that you lose a lot of the benefits from barbarian abilities by going ranged and dex based. I understand melee and strength are more optimal for barbarians. I am interested in seeing what options there are by not using the typical barbarian formula.

A couple things I'm thinking about:
Since Ancestral Protectors only works during a rage, I think I would want as many barbarian levels as possible, to maximize the number of rages I have available. On the other hand, the barbarian's other abilities don't really contribute much to a ranged support-ish type character. Trying to find the right balance of how many barbarian levels to take.
Ancestral Protectors activates off of any attack, not just weapon attacks. But given that you can't cast spells while raging, that cuts out most spell based attacks. Any interesting non-spell non-weapon based attacks that I am overlooking? Any way to make spell attacks without casting a spell?

I know this is pretty open ended, just wanted to play around with the idea and see what options there are, no plans to actually use this for a character currently.

Thanks!

jas61292
2020-04-23, 08:33 PM
Ancestral Protectors activates off of any attack, not just weapon attacks. But given that you can't cast spells while raging, that cuts out most spell based attacks. Any interesting non-spell non-weapon based attacks that I am overlooking? Any way to make spell attacks without casting a spell?

While I'm sure it is far from an ideal combo, the Sun Soul Monk has its Radiant Sun Bolt, which is a ranged spell attack that runs off Dex. Its not very good, doing only a d4 unless you invest in more Monk levels, and only has a range of 30 feet. But I really like the thematic idea of it here, and being able to use Ki to get four attacks a few times per rest could be neat. Not sure how much else you are getting out of Monk, though you already have unarmored defense so you shouldn't have to lose out on anything. Probably not a great build, but it could be interesting.

micahaphone
2020-04-23, 08:41 PM
I'm playing in a CoS game right now with an Ancestral Barb who keeps a bunch of hand axes on his belt for throwing. Keeps him versatile.

EnnPeeCee
2020-04-23, 10:57 PM
While I'm sure it is far from an ideal combo, the Sun Soul Monk has its Radiant Sun Bolt, which is a ranged spell attack that runs off Dex. Its not very good, doing only a d4 unless you invest in more Monk levels, and only has a range of 30 feet. But I really like the thematic idea of it here, and being able to use Ki to get four attacks a few times per rest could be neat. Not sure how much else you are getting out of Monk, though you already have unarmored defense so you shouldn't have to lose out on anything. Probably not a great build, but it could be interesting.

Hm, that does make for a very interesting thematic combo. I agree that it doesn't actually seem worth going into from an optimization standpoint, but I do like it.

GlenSmash!
2020-04-23, 11:05 PM
So you'll want a stick it and move kind of character. Longbow with Sharpshooter will give you a 600ft range. You'll pretty much never want to us the -5 to hit though as landing an attack every round is essential to use Ancestral Protectors to maximum benefit. Mobile will help out with movement as would a 2 level dip in Rogue for cunning action or maybe 3 for Scout. Picking up Archery Fighting style wouldn't be bad either.

stoutstien
2020-04-24, 07:37 AM
I'm interested in building a theoretical character using the barbarian Path of Ancestral Guardian with ranged attacks. I really like the control capably Ancestral Protectors gives when used at range. Looking for some ideas for things that combo well with this set up.

I do understand that you lose a lot of the benefits from barbarian abilities by going ranged and dex based. I understand melee and strength are more optimal for barbarians. I am interested in seeing what options there are by not using the typical barbarian formula.

A couple things I'm thinking about:
Since Ancestral Protectors only works during a rage, I think I would want as many barbarian levels as possible, to maximize the number of rages I have available. On the other hand, the barbarian's other abilities don't really contribute much to a ranged support-ish type character. Trying to find the right balance of how many barbarian levels to take.

I know this is pretty open ended, just wanted to play around with the idea and see what options there are, no plans to actually use this for a character currently.

Thanks!
Goblin make for really nice AG utilizing a ranged weapon. A 6 barb/ X battlemaster or arcane archer (grasping arrow) is very straightforward.