PDA

View Full Version : Would Mobile be a good feat for a Moon Druid?

prototype00
2020-04-24, 12:05 AM
So, I’m planning to play a straight V. Human Moon Druid and I’ve read most of the guides and realize that Res(Con) and Warcaster are probably key picks for a Moon Druid and I will have both as well.

But Mobile has a couple of nice bonuses, you can get full use out of all the pouncing/charging shapes (Deionychus!) in combat and as an Earth Elemental fighting on a natural surface you can be basically non-existent (hit your foe and then earth glide into the floor).

What’s the experience other people have with it?

Yuroch Kern
2020-04-24, 12:48 AM
Frankly, there is nothing wrong with Mobile. It would indeed do all of that, although I had a DM that decided it didn't improve Wild Shape for balance issues. You should make sure it is cool first, because improving those forms even a little bit can turn that spare set of hit points into a cuisinart of destruction.

Zuras
2020-04-24, 07:08 AM
Most of the time mobile probably won’t be that helpful. Often you will be trying to tank in beast form, so you won’t be moving out of melee anyway, and you don’t have the number of attacks (like a monk) or movement (like a rogue) to fully utilize it. Just cast longstrider if you need to be a fast giant octopus on land.

Also, Warcaster isn’t all that great on a Moon Druid. You don’t get the full benefit of spell OAs, because you can’t cast in beast form till 18th level. Increasing your Wisdom is probably more valuable.

At medium-high levels something like prodigy-athletics could be amazing, grapple something as a giant eagle or air elemental and drop it from 50 feet up. I found even regular proficiency in athletics very strong for a Moon Druid.

nickl_2000
2020-04-24, 07:27 AM
I took Mobile on my melee based Moon Druid X/Ranger 4/Cleric 1 with Booming Blade. It was absolutely amazing, especially once you get into the level 10 Fire Elemental. As an elemental you get 2 attacks, so that is 3 people you can walk through and set on fire without provoking AoOs

Eldariel
2020-04-24, 07:32 AM
Mobile is never bad. It's extra enemies to light up as a fire elemental, extra drop distance for air elemental/giant eagle, an easy escape from melee in basically any form, good for hit'n'run forms (you can fully deny an enemy a chance at hitting back with successful Deinonychus pounces), etc. So it stays relevant throughout and is varyingly powerful depending on the form. It's by no means obligatory, but it is nice.

Zuras
2020-04-24, 08:39 AM
Mobile is never bad. It's extra enemies to light up as a fire elemental, extra drop distance for air elemental/giant eagle, an easy escape from melee in basically any form, good for hit'n'run forms (you can fully deny an enemy a chance at hitting back with successful Deinonychus pounces), etc. So it stays relevant throughout and is varyingly powerful depending on the form. It's by no means obligatory, but it is nice.

Sure, and if you rolled stats and have room it’s a nice feat, but most times +2 to Wisdom will serve you better. Even Resilient:Con is less valuable than a wisdom boost if you don’t have an odd Con score.

da newt
2020-04-24, 08:49 AM
If you are not prioritizing TANKING as one of your combat roles, then MOBILE is a great feat especially for the skirmisher fighting style.

If you are planning to keep spell concentration while mixing it up in combat, limiting your chances of being attacked/hit really helps, but I'd make sure to also have RESCON or WARCASTER too. I'm of the opinion that for a druid (especially a summoner or other conc spell slinger) boosting CON saves can be more important than boosting WIS.

MaxWilson
2020-04-24, 10:33 AM
Sure, and if you rolled stats and have room it’s a nice feat, but most times +2 to Wisdom will serve you better. Even Resilient:Con is less valuable than a wisdom boost if you don’t have an odd Con score.

What are you planning on casting that makes Wisdom so essential?

Zuras
2020-04-24, 10:54 AM
What are you planning on casting that makes Wisdom so essential?

Number one is Sunbeam, personally. At low levels it was Produce Flame. A good DC also makes Moonbeam much more productive.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-04-24, 10:55 AM
Mobile isn't the best pick from a charop perspective, but it is loads of fun and Moon Druid play in such a way that you don't have to max out wisdom immediately in order to be fine.

Eldariel
2020-04-24, 11:03 AM
The extra spell prepared is quite nice TBH, but of course, as a Moon Druid specifically most of the time you'll be using your handful of incredible long duration Concentration cookie-cutter spells, and thus the opprtunity cost isn't all that. Still, a good casting does improve your options on the casting front, making your Entangles et al. more potent and greatly enhancing your capabilities when out of Wildshapes (which does happen).

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention: Druids need to prepare spells they want to ritual, so for Ritualing, high Wis really helps.

MaxWilson
2020-04-24, 11:05 AM
Number one is Sunbeam, personally. At low levels it was Produce Flame. A good DC also makes Moonbeam much more productive.

Interesting. I wouldn't cast those spells very often as a moon druid. At low levels instead of Moonbeam I would Spike Growth (plus wildshape as a bonus action) for a poor man's Fireball which doesn't require Wisdom, then later on conjure animals, quicklings, or elementals, or Polymorph, etc. If I *did* want to Moonbeam, it's save-for-half, so each +2 to Wisdom only increases damage by +0.275 DPR (2.5% of 2d10).

Mobile would help me keep concentration on Spike Growth/etc. by taking fewer attacks/less damage/fewer concentration saves. It's a useful feat.

Zuras
2020-04-24, 12:01 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't cast those spells very often as a moon druid. At low levels instead of Moonbeam I would Spike Growth (plus wildshape as a bonus action) for a poor man's Fireball which doesn't require Wisdom, then later on conjure animals, quicklings, or elementals, or Polymorph, etc. If I *did* want to Moonbeam, it's save-for-half, so each +2 to Wisdom only increases damage by +0.275 DPR (2.5% of 2d10).

Mobile would help me keep concentration on Spike Growth/etc. by taking fewer attacks/less damage/fewer concentration saves. It's a useful feat.

In my experience Moonbeam is just incredibly versatile and can deal ridiculous damage in many situations. Spike Growth is indeed the go-to at low levels, especially if you have decent ranged attackers in your party, but it’s value can shift dramatically based on whether your DM runs theater of the mind, likes to use creatures with ranged attacks, etc.

I don’t dispute that you can do a lot without focusing on Wis as a Druid, but every time I have played a full caster I’ve ended up regretting taking any feat besides Resilient: Con over casting stat increases if the campaign went much past 9th level. Especially when playing in Adventurers League, trying to use a set of tactics to avoid a weaker casting stat doesn’t always work. Sometimes nobody else in the party can dispel magic or use Sleet Storm to break the enemy casters’ concentration.

In a stable party where you don’t have to be the utility caster too, or if you have preferred tactics your group can normally use, go ahead and focus on something more specialized. My advice is to take Resilient:Con or increase your wisdom unless you have a concrete plan to maximize the value of some other feat.

Eldariel
2020-04-24, 12:55 PM
I rarely bother with Sunbeam specifically, because it has a Con-save (yuck) and only does an average of 27 damage (double yuck!). The blind carrier, repeated castings and anti-undead properties are decent, but it taking your Concentration thus denying you summons is a big downer on the levela you get it on, and it competes with even basic attacks on a Moon Druid, which can actually average more damage against one-two targets on these levels at no resource consumption.

Overall, I don't really find the Druid list with that many good save-or-X spells, though they are definitely there. Still, the raw power of Conjure Animals, Woodland Beings and even Fey just makes all the other Concentration spells quite situational.

sambojin
2020-04-24, 05:43 PM
Mobile is pretty good for a Moon. From a character optimization standpoint, you might want to take a Rakdos background to get Haste on the list of things you can do.

Is Haste better than summons? Nope. But it sure is fun with Mobile :)