PDA

View Full Version : Druid spitual oath

crankykobold
2020-04-24, 01:19 AM
I must be blind. Where does it say in a Rulebook that a Druid can only use the weapons listed in the weapon and armor section of the class description? I plainly see where it says they can't use metal armor or they lose access to class abilities. I can find nowhere that says they will lose class abilities if they gain prof. in greataxe and use it. I have a player in my group who is insistent that this is true, but i can't find it in any book.

RSGA
2020-04-24, 01:32 AM
I think it's a misreading of page 33 of the Player's Handbook, second paragraph of the Characteristics. If you go over it fast it may seem to also prohibit weapons, but it's just armor and shields.

Of course, the bigger question is why a battleaxe?

EDIT: Although I did just realize that given the wide nature of magic items and materials, it's entirely possible to have a battleaxe that would violate the oath, but that would be a function of the axe.

crankykobold
2020-04-24, 01:44 AM
I agree with your assessment. It mentions items noted in Weapon and Armor proficiency (below),but only refers to armor specifically.

The greataxe was just for example and the first weapon that popped in my head.

Psyren
2020-04-24, 01:47 AM
They can use metal weapons just fine. Most sickles and scythes contain metal after all.

crankykobold
2020-04-24, 01:58 AM
They can use metal weapons just fine. Most sickles and scythes contain metal after all.

Yeah, the argument doesn't concern metal in the weapon per se. He firmly thinks that if a druid uses a weapon not specifically on the list in the class description the druid losses class abilities. I don't see anywhere in the rulebooks it says that.

Edit: I just realized I typo'd the thread title. That's embarrassing.

Psyren
2020-04-24, 08:18 AM
Yeah, the argument doesn't concern metal in the weapon per se. He firmly thinks that if a druid uses a weapon not specifically on the list in the class description the druid losses class abilities. I don't see anywhere in the rulebooks it says that.

Edit: I just realized I typo'd the thread title. That's embarrassing.

You can edit it in the replies (see above). Anyone who replies to or quotes a post with the fixed version will then perpetuate it unless they manually change it back :smallsmile:

Anyway, the player in your group is wrong, but what matters is what your GM thinks.

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-24, 08:54 AM
2nd edition banned metal weapons for druids. Perhaps they're reading the 3.5 druid with that factoid in mind?

Saint-Just
2020-04-24, 10:50 AM
2nd edition banned metal weapons for druids. Perhaps they're reading the 3.5 druid with that factoid in mind?

Was it original printing? 2e Revised definitely lists "sickle, dagger, spear, scimitar" and do not imply they have to be non-metallic (unlike the armor).

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-04-24, 11:39 AM
Of course, the bigger question is why a battleaxe?

Because it's a woodsman themed druid, and woodsmen use axes.

Yes, those are entirely different kinds of axes. What's your point? Druid hack!

Palanan
2020-04-24, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by crankykobold
He firmly thinks that if a druid uses a weapon not specifically on the list in the class description the druid losses class abilities.

Is this player trying to play a druid, or is he criticizing someone else trying to play a druid, or is he insisting on this for other reasons?

The text seems pretty clear that using prohibited armor or shields will cause issues. Have you showed this player this text, and asked him to show you the text which he feels prohibits certain weapons entirely?

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-24, 12:21 PM
Was it original printing? 2e Revised definitely lists "sickle, dagger, spear, scimitar" and do not imply they have to be non-metallic (unlike the armor).

I believe that those were the exception, but these are 25 year old memories, so you might be right

crankykobold
2020-04-24, 11:00 PM
Turns out it was ingrained memory from the 3.0 druid that was restricted on weapons. He had never re-read druid 3.5 and I had went from 2nd straight to 3.5 and never seen the 3.0 version.

Him
2020-04-24, 11:21 PM
An axe? Isn't that more a ranger woodman, brambleweed and Shelleliegh . Yes to metal weapons on druid. But still, I wanna monk with hand axe with flurry of blows like out of the Kung-fu Hustle movie.

Do you think the DM would allow is as long as my monk took the skill Perform : Dancing?

Wait they were bad guys in the movie, need to re-think.

Palanan
2020-04-25, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by crankykobold
Turns out it was ingrained memory from the 3.0 druid that was restricted on weapons. He had never re-read druid 3.5 and I had went from 2nd straight to 3.5 and never seen the 3.0 version.

Sounds like you worked it out, then. Like yourself, I went straight to 3.5, so I didn't know about that restriction in 3.0 either.