PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Raise Dead 'chain' for an Arcane Necromancer?

Maerok
2007-10-25, 12:28 AM
Is there any way for an arcane necromancer (most specifically the Dread Necro) to acquire raise dead and resurrection? I would assume there is a domain with at least one of those, so Arcane Disciple would be the natural way to go, but I haven't seen one. Would it be too far-fetched to consider them as Necromancy spells for the purpose of Advanced Learning?

Duke of URL
2007-10-25, 08:53 AM
The Crystal Keep collection, for what it's worth, lists no domains with raise dead or resurrection as domain spells.

Shishnarfne
2007-10-25, 10:47 AM
I'd consider giving a wizard access to the Raise Dead/Resurrection spells too imbalancing. As it is, in core, wizards may return someone from the dead using Wish (will Limited Wish duplicate a 5th level divine spell? If so, Limited Wish (+diamond) grabs Raise Dead). Perhaps the closest way would be to see about getting a Revivify type spell (I don't have the Spell Compendium, but Egoist psions can get the Psionic version).
However, I'm not sure I'd count Raise Dead & the like as necromancy.
They seem far closer to Conjuration (Healing) to me.

As always, ask your DM.

Darrin
2007-10-25, 11:12 AM
Is there any way for an arcane necromancer (most specifically the Dread Necro) to acquire raise dead and resurrection? I would assume there is a domain with at least one of those, so Arcane Disciple would be the natural way to go, but I haven't seen one. Would it be too far-fetched to consider them as Necromancy spells for the purpose of Advanced Learning?

Looks like someone was working on a Life domain at one point:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828

I'm not aware of any official domains that include raise dead or resurrection.

There is a work-around if you take the Heal domain with Arcane Disciple and then use the Customize Domain feat (Dragon #325) to switch cure light wounds, mass (normally Heal 5) to raise dead and regeneration (normally Heal 7) to resurrection. You'd need a heckuva Wis modifier to get those spells, though.

You could do the same thing with the Magic Domain (Wee Jas seems like a good fit for those spells), but you'd have to replace the higher-level spells Magic 6 and Magic 8.

Limited wish or wish would allow you to cast raise dead, but unfortunately not resurrection.

de-trick
2007-10-25, 07:27 PM
in my group we have a spell called letal resurrection, it brings a person back but the body and the caster takes major damage