PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Beast Tamer Archetype for Ranger

FakDendor
2020-04-24, 07:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/PH23rxx.jpg

Hello! This is my first homebrew subclass, built for an exploration and wilderness heavy campaign I'm currently running. I'm looking for critical feedback on the balance of class features and advice on the best order of class features.

A little background: this is a subclass designed because my ranger PC and I were underwhelmed with the beast master archetype. We wanted something a little more dynamic that showed an affinity for multiple creatures, as well as avoiding the difficulty of bringing a companion everywhere the ranger went. I'm aware it wouldn't be ideal in some campaigns because it would force a ranger to derail the party in search of bond companions. However, in the campaign for which this was intended my party will likely see multiple encounters with beasts or monsters per long rest.

(Final note: I have posted this build a few places seeking critical feedback. If you've seen this or offered feedback already I apologize!)

sandmote
2020-04-24, 10:40 AM
Due to forum rules meant to prevent images from interfering with legibility, you should probably move the image into a spoiler.

Most of the features look okay, especially if you'll be introducing creatures for the player to use their features on a regular basis. My main concern is Bond Familiarity, which can probably be rolled into Companion bond ("At 11th level, your companion can regain recharging abilities as normal, up to a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier (minimum of once)"). 11th level is supposed to be a particularly large boost in power, and I do not see Bond Familiarity qualify.