PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Spells for the Aspiring Rage Mage?

Scalenex
2007-10-25, 12:47 AM
I'm having trouble picking spells since I'm a sorcerer, I want to make sure I pick good spells since I'm stuck with them for the foreseeable future.

We're just on the cusp of fifth level.

I gots me a 2nd level sorcerer/2nd level Barbarian.

I picked True Strike and Expeditious Retreat to start out with. True Strike is good when we get the drop on our opponents (so my first charge never misses), Expeditious Retreat is good for closing the distance with archers. I pretty much cast one or both spells, than rage and charge into battle. This will likely remain the strategy for a while. I am avoiding spells that rely on saves because my Charisma isn't maxed out and I'm trying to gravitate towards ranged touch attacks because my BAB and Dexterity are pretty good. That's was my plan but most of the rays have a range that's so close it makes more sense to run up and beat my foes.

What are some good first level spells for when I level up? My problem there is nothing really seems worth it for an arcane caster/warrior.

My problem with second level spells is just the opposite. There are many second level spells I want. Mirror Image, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Cat's Grace, Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Scorching Ray, and Melf's Acid Arrow. This isn't counting the lovely spells I've seen in supplements.

If it helps here are my feats, you can criticize them if you really want to. I took Two Weapon Fighting (and am wishing I took Power Attack instead often) at first level and a feat from a supplement that takes arcane spell failure from armor down 10%. My strategy of cast spells, then rage, then charge, is likely to remain relatively constant. My sixth level feat is spoken for because I need Combat Casting to become a Rage Mage.

imperialspectre
2007-10-25, 01:19 AM
Other good first-level spells include Mage Armor (hour/level duration, so cast at the start of the day and it helps make up for your bad AC while raging), Ray of Enfeeblement (no save and you can soften up your targets that way before hitting them with whatever large, pointy/sharp/heavy object you prefer), and Enlarge Person (reach, more Strength, and the Mage Armor makes up for both this loss of AC and the -AC from rage...what more could you want?). Definitely Shield, because you'll never carry a shield and that's an extra +4 to AC--critical for your melee fighting. Feather Fall, so you don't end up like :roy: and all.

For second level, let the party divine caster do Bull's Strength and the other ability-booster spells (and Resist Energy). Don't take both Scorching Ray and Melf's Acid Arrow--two elemental direct-damage single-target ranged touch spells? Obviously redundant. Acid Arrow is probably better--it's SR: No and has a far longer range. Use it on casters and they have to make Concentration checks for the damage you deal from round to round to cast spells. I'd say take Mirror Image, then Melf's, then Protection from Arrows.

Rad
2007-10-25, 02:13 AM
If closing up is what you want from expeditious retreat consider taking the swift variant from PHB2; it only lasts one round but casts as a swift action, allowing you to actually use it to get on the front line faster.
Scorching Ray and Melf's are not that great... you said that your save DC is low and you're going to do more damage with melee anyway, so when do you expect that you'd cast one of those instead of attacking?

TWF sucks unless you're a rogue... but you know that. You could ask for the retraining rules to your DM.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-25, 02:13 AM
I'd take Melf's Acid Arrow at low level, and then swap it out for a buff spell when you are higher level, as it doesn't give good returns. Pretty much once opposing spellcasters no longer have trouble making the concentration checks it requires, swap it out.

RE: above

Neither Melf's AA nor scorching ray have saves.

Temp
2007-10-25, 02:20 AM
Enlarge Person is about the best thing for you.

And Shield since you're surely planning on hitting up the Abjurant Champion... with your high Base Attack and Combat Casting Feat.

For Two Weapon Fighting, though... definitely get Power Attack. Maybe snag Arcane Strike once you get third level spells.

Question: Can you Arcane Strike while Raging?

[Edit:]In conclusion: Most. Incomprehensible. Post. Ever.

Nebo_
2007-10-25, 02:22 AM
Wraithstrike
Heroics
Shield Mage
Armour

Take as few Rage Mage levels as possible and get right into Abjurant Champion.