PDA

View Full Version : Damage Reduction and non-weapon damage.

H_H_F_F
2020-04-24, 09:17 AM
Hi. Does anyone have a clear answer on how DR effects damage that isn't from a weapon? For example: falling damage, none6lethal damage from forced march, damage from a "spur mount" ride check, etc?

Thanks!

Kayblis
2020-04-24, 09:34 AM
Damage reduction doesn't reduce nonweapon damage. All the cited kinds of damage are taken in full, regardless of DR. Those other kinds of damage(specifically nonlethal damage) may interact differently with Regeneration, but that's unrelated to DR.

H_H_F_F
2020-04-24, 11:04 AM
Damage reduction doesn't reduce nonweapon damage. All the cited kinds of damage are taken in full, regardless of DR. Those other kinds of damage(specifically nonlethal damage) may interact differently with Regeneration, but that's unrelated to DR.

Thank you!

Biggus
2020-04-24, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it's always seemed weird to me that if you throw rocks at people damage reduction applies but if you fall off a cliff onto rocks it doesn't, but that's what the rules say.

Goaty14
2020-04-24, 02:29 PM
Yeah, it's always seemed weird to me that if you throw rocks at people damage reduction applies but if you fall off a cliff onto rocks it doesn't, but that's what the rules say.

Well, if the DM rules that the rocks are inanimate weapons making attacks against the falling character (just as "Spikes at the bottom of a pit deal damage as daggers with a +10 attack bonus and a +1 bonus on damage for every 10 feet of the fall (to a maximum bonus on damage of +5)"), then damage reduction would apply to that, so no.

nijineko
2020-04-24, 03:56 PM
wow, hitting the ground doesn't count as bludgeoning damage?

and wouldn't the pc themself count as an improvised weapon? or the ground for that matter?

Vander Nars
2020-04-24, 09:44 PM
Iv always allied DR when taking falling damage, may not be raw but its always something we have done.

Goaty14
2020-04-24, 10:14 PM
wow, hitting the ground doesn't count as bludgeoning damage?

and wouldn't the pc themself count as an improvised weapon? or the ground for that matter?

1) It does not. The rules for falling in the SRD don't mention it, so the damage is typeless unless stated otherwise.

2) If the PC counts as a falling object against the ground, I guess that just helps determine the size of an indentation his splat makes (though if the PC is falling onto something else, like a creature or a building, doing this serves more of a purpose). If the PC counts as a falling object against HIMSELF... oddly enough, he takes less damage than the normal falling rules, which makes me certain that can't be what the game designers had in mind.

3) Also, if we count the GROUND as an improvised weapon against the PC..
...well...
I have good news and bad news:
Good News!: The ground is a weapon! Your DR applies!
Bad News: The material plane weighs a LOT. It deals OMGWTFBBQd6 damage. You die.