PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Glow Wasps

jjordan
2020-04-24, 10:31 AM
Self-scrubbing for reasons.

sandmote
2020-04-24, 11:36 AM
By default, two instances of the same feature don't stack at all. Aside from that, here's the stat block as I understand it:

Swarm of Glow Wasps
Medium swarm of Tiny beasts (fey?), unaligned

Armor Class 12 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 22 (5d8)
Speed 5 ft., fly 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
3 (-4) 13 (+1) 10 (+1) 1 (-5) 7 (-2) 1 (-5)
Damage Resistances Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing
Condition Immunities Charmed, Frightened, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Restrained, Stunned
Senses Blindsight 10 ft., Passive Perception 8
Languages --
Challenge ???
Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny insect. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: 2 (1d4-1) necrotic damage, and the target must make a DC 7 Constitution saving throw for 1d6 rounds. On a failed save the target gains two levels of exhaustion. After failing two saving throws against this effect the creature falls prone and is paralyzed. The creature can make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw at the start of its turn, ending the paralysis on a success.

That is terrifying. You'd need golems going around dealing with these just because a lone swarm can inflict exhaustion, and multiple swarms could probably still tear through a lone PC.

The concept is neat through, so I've written a version without the exhaustion. I've make the paralysis more threatening to compensate:

Swarm of Glow Wasps
Medium swarm of Tiny beasts, unaligned

Armor Class 14 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 39 (7d8+7)
Speed 5 ft., fly 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
3 (-4) 17 (+3) 12 (+1) 1 (-5) 7 (-2) 1 (-5)
Damage Resistances Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing
Condition Immunities Charmed, Frightened, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Restrained, Stunned
Senses Blindsight 10 ft., Passive Perception 8
Languages --
Challenge 2 (450 XP)
Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny insect. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

Natural Light The Swarm's glow emits dim light within the swarm's space.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: 5 (2d4) piercing damage and 10 (4d4) necrotic damage and make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be Paralyzed until the end of the creature's next turn. If the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer the creature instead takes 2 (1d4) piercing damage and 5 (2d4) necrotic damage and has advantage on the saving throw.

D&D_Fan
2020-04-24, 12:23 PM
I would actually stat out an ability that allows the wasps to detect the death of a wasp within a certain distance of them. Also, what are the uses for the wasps and why do they glow?

What are they useful for?
Maybe a spell to detect the dead/undead. Also, live ones could be used to make lanterns.

Why do they glow?
Here is my idea for why they glow. The moths do not glow, but perhaps they might eat sap from fey touched trees. The wasps eat the moths and he sap causes them to glow. Maybe following the wasps is a good way to find fey trees. If you chop the trees down, then the moths die, and the wasps become hostile.

sandmote
2020-04-24, 01:46 PM
The behavior of the bugs is what limits their threat. They only attack if attacked. Not noted in the description is that in my setting they are largely confined to the lower and upper canopy of a specific (but very large) forest where they eat the moths and other insects attracted to their glowing wings. Travelers in The Green Wall prefer to sleep under areas where these bugs congregate because they avoid the Siren Trees (night-blooming trees that exude a scent that lures [functional charm] nearby animals in to be killed), eat the larger biting insects, and dissuade some of the larger predators. And they are a useful source of ready poison if you can locate their hive during the day. Okay, that sounds more fascinating than terrifying. Although you can unintentionally get wasps and their relatives to sting you; I once got stung by a wood bee because I hadn't felt her on my arm and accidentally started squishing her.

Is the effect of the siren trees related to the Tiny Hut spell in any way? My first thought reading it was "ooh, something the hut doesn't block," given it (at minimum) forces outside creatures to wait for the party outside the dome (if they don't move on). A scent could waft through though, and actually force the party to find a safe camp somewhere else.

Melayl
2020-04-24, 03:59 PM
Intriguing. They remind me of yellowjackets (evil damned wasps). Kill one and the rest of the hive gets really ticked.

Have you statted out those Siren trees yet? They sound pretty cool.

Melayl
2020-04-26, 10:06 PM
How do the siren trees get awakened, and how do the awakened trees gain the nightbloom vine? Do the vines awaken the trees? Are the trees awakened just by virtue of their species?