PDA

View Full Version : shepherd druid bear spirit totem ?

da newt
2020-04-24, 11:39 AM
I'm playing a level 2 shepherd druid / 1 life cleric in a party of 9 PC's and we are in a small fort w/ the locals fighting off a hoard of Gnolls (all sorts, at least 15, maybe many more).

The Temp HP granted by the Bear Totem Spirit are normal Temp HP - they last until used up or long rest, right? Assuming yes, then does it make sense to cast this well before combat so that we can gather everyone into the 30' radius of effect (we use a grid so 12x12 spaces so I could potentially boost 144 folks)? If there are more than that, and we have a multi-story building, could I boost even more folks?

MagneticKitty
2020-04-24, 11:49 AM
The temp hp seems to persist from the wording. I guess technically you could get up, channel bear spirit, take a one hour short rest (but not your allies) and have the spirit use back. Tho by resting again you lose your temp hp. Havent thought of that before (because I forgot temp hp persist unless stated otherwise) but it is a cool thought.

stoutstien
2020-04-24, 12:33 PM
I'm playing a level 2 shepherd druid / 1 life cleric in a party of 9 PC's and we are in a small fort w/ the locals fighting off a hoard of Gnolls (all sorts, at least 15, maybe many more).

The Temp HP granted by the Bear Totem Spirit are normal Temp HP - they last until used up or long rest, right? Assuming yes, then does it make sense to cast this well before combat so that we can gather everyone into the 30' radius of effect (we use a grid so 12x12 spaces so I could potentially boost 144 folks)? If there are more than that, and we have a multi-story building, could I boost even more folks?

Yep. It's one of the reasons shepherd druids are one of the best all around picks in the game. It also works on anything you summon so you can make a stupidity tough wall of fur.

Later on you can drop bear before a S rest and then re-up it when ever or save unicorn for a mega oh crap button.

AttilatheYeon
2020-04-24, 12:41 PM
The temp hp seems to persist from the wording. I guess technically you could get up, channel bear spirit, take a one hour short rest (but not your allies) and have the spirit use back. Tho by resting again you lose your temp hp. Havent thought of that before (because I forgot temp hp persist unless stated otherwise) but it is a cool thought.

Temp HPs persist until a long rest. You'll still have yours after a shorty.

xroads
2020-04-24, 03:15 PM
That's an interesting question. Ultimately, it's going to be a DM call.

The wording of the feature is a bit vague. But my DM & I have both been running with the assumption that once the totem disappears, so does the benefits it grants. Given that the totem only lasts a minute, this would make it impossible to stack with short rests.