PDA

View Full Version : Artificer - Steel Defender Mechanics

Sirion8288
2020-04-24, 12:43 PM
Hey all,

I have some questions regarding the steel defender (SD) that an artificer battle smith can make...

So I know that it's medium size and, therefore, small characters can ride it as a mount. I have read many people choosing the gnome race so they can have 40 movement speed, riding their steel defender into battle. If I understand correctly, even though the steel defender has it's turn AFTER the artificer, the rider can use the steel defender's movement (40) on it's turn. Fascinating.

Ok, then here are my questions. I want to let my ally (who is a gnome rogue) ride my steel defender. Can he still mount the steel defender and use it's 40 movement speed on the rogue's turn. Seems like this should not be an issue. What about the other abilities of the rogue? Since he is riding the steel defender, any enemy that is within five feet of the rogue is in fact five feet within two enemies (the rogue and the steel defender). Therefore, the rogue will have Sneak Attack every turn for its melee attacks, correct (just not with advantage)? Also, what if the rogue wants to use its Cunning Action and use its bonus action to dash or disengage. Would he have 25 (gnome's movement speed) or 40 (steel defender's movement speed) for the dashing away part. Also, if the disengaged option was selected, ok, the enemy cannot take an opportunity attack against the rogue but he will be able to attack against the steel defender, correct?

I thought that this could be an interesting combo, a rogue gnome riding my steel defender...I'm just not sure if the mechanics are kosher for what I am concocting.

Looking for anyone's thoughts/clarifications.

Thanks!

-Sirion

stoutstien
2020-04-24, 01:27 PM
It comes down to how your DM rules if the steel defender can act as an independent or a controlled mount.

Sherlockpwns
2020-04-25, 12:15 AM
While in the end everything is up to the DM, I disagree that this one is some weird grey area. Every intelligent mount COULD allow someone to control it, the opposite is of course not true. Anyway, since your SD is intelligent enough but basically just your slave, I’d say it is pretty clear anyone could use it with your permission as a mount and have it act as a regular mount.

Now if you still get to command it with your bonus action... that’s a gray area I’ll leave to your DM.

That aside, yes the rogue will have permanent sneak attack.

No, the rogues cunning action is only for him. He could use it to dash, spend 15ft dismounting, and the rest on movement.

But! The mount has actions too, which is why mounted combat is so advantageous.

For instance the mount could move 20 ft. The rogue could attack, the mount can take the disengage action, and then move 20 ft back without provoking an attack for the rogue or the mount. This is why if I were the DM I would rule allowing someone else to use your sd as a mount negates your ability to command it as a bonus action. Seems a fair trade to me and sidesteps trying to manage having initiative in multiple places.