PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Caldera Jēla-Adventure Help

JNAProductions
2020-04-24, 10:47 PM
If you're aiming to be in my 14th level Gestalt prison volcano game, STAY THE FLARP OUT OF THIS THREAD!

I repeat-if you are in this game here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?610923-GM-Found-for-Mid-High-5e-Game-Prison-Colony-Game), DO NOT READ FURTHER!

Now, for blank space to avoid anyone accidentally clicking in being able to read it.

And a spoiler, for good measure.

More specifically, the city beneath it. Zjarr, the city of alchemy.

A race of highly advanced magical philosophers created many wondrous artifacts, from mundane niceties like plumbing and lights, to weapons of terrible power and shields to resist them, to all manner of esoteric other. Powering it all was the molten core of the planet itself, contained within a sphere of orichalcum.

But, one day, millennia ago, they began to notice some odd fluctuations. The soul of the earth itself has grown wise to their doings, and vindictive. It inhabited the magma within the orichalcum, and broke free. In a last-ditch effort, they sealed off their city forever, hoping to contain the menace they had created.

Until recently.

So, I'm thinking about what might make for fun adventures through Zjarr. Obviously monsters and arcane mechanisms, but what else? Any assistance, greatly appreciated.

sandmote
2020-04-25, 05:47 PM
Off the top of my head, I'd expect loose potions and reagents around. If a fight breaks out indoors, containers that go flying regularly contain an Oil of Slipperiness, threatening both groups. When the giant scorpion gets shoved into a wall, several of the bottles on the shelves breaks on the party, and one one ingested turns out to be an elixir of health.

For balance purposes, mostly have multiple potions break at once (so at least one party member and one enemy are hit) with beneficial potions stored separably from the harmful ones (so you aren't hurting the party while healing a monster) unless the monster is sapient and fighting with the potions).

Possibly powerful magics have also granted an intelligence and will to creatures that don't usually have them. An ooze might want some stories of the outside world, and grant the party a safe place to rest in exchange

JNAProductions
2020-04-25, 05:55 PM
Off the top of my head, I'd expect loose potions and reagents around. If a fight breaks out indoors, containers that go flying regularly contain an Oil of Slipperiness, threatening both groups. When the giant scorpion gets shoved into a wall, several of the bottles on the shelves breaks on the party, and one one ingested turns out to be an elixir of health.

For balance purposes, mostly have multiple potions break at once (so at least one party member and one enemy are hit) with beneficial potions stored separably from the harmful ones (so you aren't hurting the party while healing a monster) unless the monster is sapient and fighting with the potions).

Possibly powerful magics have also granted an intelligence and will to creatures that don't usually have them. An ooze might want some stories of the outside world, and grant the party a safe place to rest in exchange

Ooh, good ideas.

Thanks Sandmote!