PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build help for a Succubus Warlock

TheDwarvenNerd
2020-04-24, 11:54 PM
I have an idea for a character, a Tiefling Warlock that makes a pact with a succubus patron to awaken their demonic powers. I see them as a femme-fatale using deception and enchantments to control people and creatures to do her bidding before draining thier souls. I plan to just re-flavor the Great Old One Patron as a Succubus Patron. I think this fits thematically, being able to use telepathy and create a thrall are part of what a succubus would do.

For my build I plan on using the Fierna Tiefling for the spell selection, the Charlatan background for Deception/Slight of Hand, tool proficiency and false identity feature. Using the standard array my stats are Str8/Dex14/Con13/Int10/Wis12(+1)/Cha15(+2). I will start 1st level as a Rogue to get skills(Stealth/Persuasion/Perception/Insight) and use Expertise on Deception/Persuasion. After that it's warlock with Pact of the Chain, with my familiar being an Imp, until level 20. For ASI/feats, Actor/Infernal Constitution/+2Cha/+2Dex/+2Dex

I'm looking for help with which spells and invocations to take to really fit the concept of a succubus. For invocations I was thinking of Agonizing Blast, Voice of the Chain Master, Mask of Many Forms, Master of Myriad Forms, Shroud of Shadow, and Chains of Carceri.

Spells:
Cantrips- Eldritch Blast/Prestidigitation/Mage Hand
1st- Hex
2nd- Hold Person/Misty Step
3rd- Fly/Summon Lesser Demons/Vampiric Touch
4th- Dominate Beast/Evard's Black Tentacles/Summon Greater Demon
5th- Dominate Person/Enervation/Hold Monster/Infernal Calling/Synaptic Static
6th- Mass Suggestion
7th- Etherealness
8th- Dominate Monster
9th- Psychic Scream

Any suggestions on making my character better are welcome as I haven't played as a warlock before, but it looks like it might be fun especially if I can get this build to be good.

D.U.P.A.
2020-04-24, 11:58 PM
Is not succubus a fiend, rather an old one? At least thematically.

Man_Over_Game
2020-04-25, 05:28 AM
Is not succubus a fiend, rather an old one? At least thematically.

Sure, but the Fiend is mechanically about killing things, fire damage, and having good luck, while GOO is all about mind manipulation.

I agree with OP that GOO is a good way to go, but I'd actually recommend Archfey, as it has regular Charm effects, domination spells, as well as that demonic fear.

stoutstien
2020-04-25, 08:10 AM
Sure, but the Fiend is mechanically about killing things, fire damage, and having good luck, while GOO is all about mind manipulation.

I agree with OP that GOO is a good way to go, but I'd actually recommend Archfey, as it has regular Charm effects, domination spells, as well as that demonic fear.

2nd this. A refluffed archfey would tick all the boxes.

Sparky McDibben
2020-04-25, 09:43 AM
Also Create Thrall is notoriously DM-dependent. I agree on using Archfey.

Sorinth
2020-04-25, 10:39 AM
I assume you are planning on staying at range and using Eldritch Blast. In which case I would also suggest taking Repelling Blast as an Invocation, and if using XGTE Lance of Lethargy.

Fiendish Vigor is great at low levels and you can swap it out later.
Devil's Sight is always good though your imp has it already so it's maybe less of a priority unless you plan on using it combo with Darkness spell.

Thematic for Succubus would be Bewitching Whispers, Beguiling Influence, Ascendant Step, Mask of Many Faces, Master of Myriad Forms, Dreadful Word, Shroud of Shadow (XGTE).

Spell wise is there a reason you avoided the Friends, Charm Person, Suggestion? They are all very thematic. If you are concerned about the negative consequences that's what Mask of Many Faces is for, and RP wise fits in quite well with a Succubus giving you some of her power but their being a catch to it.

Also assuming the Rogue dip is mostly for Expertise, it might be better to dip 3 levels of Bard and take College of Whispers as it's much more thematic.

TheDwarvenNerd
2020-04-25, 06:28 PM
I assume you are planning on staying at range and using Eldritch Blast. In which case I would also suggest taking Repelling Blast as an Invocation, and if using XGTE Lance of Lethargy.

Fiendish Vigor is great at low levels and you can swap it out later.
Devil's Sight is always good though your imp has it already so it's maybe less of a priority unless you plan on using it combo with Darkness spell.

Thematic for Succubus would be Bewitching Whispers, Beguiling Influence, Ascendant Step, Mask of Many Faces, Master of Myriad Forms, Dreadful Word, Shroud of Shadow (XGTE).

Spell wise is there a reason you avoided the Friends, Charm Person, Suggestion? They are all very thematic. If you are concerned about the negative consequences that's what Mask of Many Faces is for, and RP wise fits in quite well with a Succubus giving you some of her power but their being a catch to it.

Also assuming the Rogue dip is mostly for Expertise, it might be better to dip 3 levels of Bard and take College of Whispers as it's much more thematic.

So the reason I avoided Friends/Charm Person/Suggestion is because I get those spells from being a Fierna Tiefling. Also, yes I took a level of Rogue just to get Expertise in Persuasion/Deception. I really want to double down on those social skills and make this character a great manipulator. If I were to dip 3 levels in another class I think Rogue would be better than Bard. Cunning action is great to help get me out of trouble and a subclass like Arcane Trickster or Swashbuckler would add some more flavor.

Warlush
2020-04-25, 06:39 PM
Looks really solid. The rogue dip is perfect, no more than 1 level needed. I've played both GOO and Archfey, I'd say either would work really well. I would strongly recommend the Actor feat. That with expertise and mask of many faces and a familiar you can speak through will inevitably lead to really fun shenanigans.

D.U.P.A.
2020-04-25, 07:50 PM
Archfey feels more fitting, because it is focused more on charming (but also frightening with your choice). Great old one is more about scaring and reading minds.

TheDwarvenNerd
2020-04-25, 11:19 PM
Archfey feels more fitting, because it is focused more on charming (but also frightening with your choice). Great old one is more about scaring and reading minds.

A number of people have been suggesting the Archfey Patron. The reason why I think GOO would be a good fit is for the ability to make a thrall and to use telepathy. Looking at the monster manual, the succubus has both of those abilities. Whether I decide to use the Archfey or GOO patron I think my character will be very capable of behaving like a demonic seductress.

TheDwarvenNerd
2020-04-26, 11:48 PM
So as my character concept is starting to solidify I'm thinking that the Archfey Pact is the way to go. It has a better spell list than GOO (Dominate Person/Beast are the only spells I wanted), and the ability to charm or frighten using my patron abilities will work better with the False Identity of the charlatan background. I plan to have a false identity of that of a tough sea captain. So when my character is in her normal persona I can use the class features to charm people, and when she is in her sea captain persona I can use class features to frighten.

But now I have another question about the build, since I'm already taking a level of Rogue is it worth it to take another level or two. Second level Rogue would get me cunning action making me more elusive on the battlefield, and going to third level would get more sneak attack damage and a subclass. Out of all the subclasses I think Swashbuckler fits the best and I get a nice boost to initiative thanks to Rakish Audacity. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not to take more levels in Rogue.