PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [3.5, PF, 3PP] Adding the [Light] Descriptor to Spells

ezekielraiden
2020-04-25, 12:19 PM
I'm looking for damn near anything (feat, consumable, PrC, domain, anything), from a formally published source, which allows adding the [light] descriptor to spells that don't normally have it. A "formally published" source is one that is or has been actually put up for sale at some point for use with 3.0, 3.5, or PF1 (and maybe really close things like FFd20). I'll take high-quality homebrew [read: probably not dandwiki, but you never know] if there's literally no other option, but I'd much prefer a published source.

Should you know of multiple things, do share, but the ideal would be a feat, trait, item, racial characteristic, etc. It's honestly kind of surprising how hard this seems to be!

Manyasone
2020-04-25, 12:45 PM
I'm looking for damn near anything (feat, consumable, PrC, domain, anything), from a formally published source, which allows adding the [light] descriptor to spells that don't normally have it. A "formally published" source is one that is or has been actually put up for sale at some point for use with 3.0, 3.5, or PF1 (and maybe really close things like FFd20). I'll take high-quality homebrew [read: probably not dandwiki, but you never know] if there's literally no other option, but I'd much prefer a published source.

Should you know of multiple things, do share, but the ideal would be a feat, trait, item, racial characteristic, etc. It's honestly kind of surprising how hard this seems to be!

Quality PF material from a third party means Spheres of Power and the Light Sphere. Check it out maybe?

ezekielraiden
2020-04-25, 12:51 PM
Quality PF material from a third party means Spheres of Power and the Light Sphere. Check it out maybe?

Believe it or not, I already am. I'm trying to add [light] to regular spells, as I have access to both spheres and regular PF(3.5/etc.) spells.

Heavenblade
2020-04-25, 12:54 PM
There is a neat feat combo from pf, but you cannot use it on instantaneous spells, or spells that do not affect creatures/objects-

Umbral spell gives spells the darkness descriptor for +2 ESL, and eclipsed spell changes the darkness effect into a light effect (even though it will require a probable RAI ruling since the feat doesnt actually say it grants the spell the light descriptor - just that it functions as the light spell)

ezekielraiden
2020-04-26, 07:00 PM
There is a neat feat combo from pf, but you cannot use it on instantaneous spells, or spells that do not affect creatures/objects-

Umbral spell gives spells the darkness descriptor for +2 ESL, and eclipsed spell changes the darkness effect into a light effect (even though it will require a probable RAI ruling since the feat doesnt actually say it grants the spell the light descriptor - just that it functions as the light spell)

That is a neat combo and could be squeezed down to only +1 with reducer feats. Was hoping for something a bit firmer, of course, but it's at least a demonstration that something *like* this should be possible, even with zero homebrew, and thus a restrained, careful homebrew solution is valid.

Long story short, I have a number of features that boost the CL specifically of spells with the [light] descriptor, and was looking for ways to generalize that to a larger and more useful pool of spells. I've already managed to do so with the [good] descriptor, using Snowcasting + Soulfire Creature template. The former adds the [cold] descriptor to any spell you cast using its effect, and the latter lets you change any spell with an energy descriptor to a Soulfire spell, which changes it to [fire; good]. Suddenly, stuff like the Good domain is really useful!

Since MM cost reduction is commonplace in the game this would apply to, I may propose it as a limited number of spells per day, or some other tweak that makes things less exploitable. Perhaps an Arcanist exploit...that could be fun and flavorful in context.

PraxisVetli
2020-04-28, 03:09 AM
I had this thread a while back that might have some things for you.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?591986-Light-Mage-NPC