PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Plant growth vs Repelling Eldrich Blast

Ketiara
2020-04-25, 07:50 PM
Hi all
Tomorrow my group of players face a challenge, where I'm hoping to play around with some push and control, to try and tease my players into thinking a little out of the normal box.
I was hoping to utilize the quadruple move penalty with the repelling blast to push around the players a bit, a little 1 step forward 2 steps back.

But how would you rule the effect of the magical knockback from repelling blast is also penalised from the plant growths quadruple move? Im looking for your perspective on this from a RAW/RAI pow but also what you would deem fair or fun or best for that matter.

thanks in advance

Expired
2020-04-25, 08:43 PM
Hi all
Tomorrow my group of players face a challenge, where I'm hoping to play around with some push and control, to try and tease my players into thinking a little out of the normal box.
I was hoping to utilize the quadruple move penalty with the repelling blast to push around the players a bit, a little 1 step forward 2 steps back.

But how would you rule the effect of the magical knockback from repelling blast is also penalised from the plant growths quadruple move? Im looking for your perspective on this from a RAW/RAI pow but also what you would deem fair or fun or best for that matter.

thanks in advance
According to RAI (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/954775825991151616?lang=en), it is implied that Plant Growth does not affect the unwilling movement of a creature hit by Eldritch Blast (Repelling Blast) as it ". . .doesn’t use the target’s action, reaction, or movement to push the target." The push effect of Repelling Blast doesn't use the creature's movement speed, so it moves up to 10 feet away (at the caster's discretion) for each hit of Eldritch Blast (x1-4 depending on character level).

I would place Plant Growth between the battle and where you will push the party member so they have to traverse the rough terrain created by the spell. If you want it to be even more difficult, target the individual with few or no ranged options.

Ketiara
2020-04-26, 05:05 AM
According to RAI (https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/954775825991151616?lang=en), it is implied that Plant Growth does not affect the unwilling movement of a creature hit by Eldritch Blast (Repelling Blast) as it ". . .doesn’t use the target’s action, reaction, or movement to push the target." The push effect of Repelling Blast doesn't use the creature's movement speed, so it moves up to 10 feet away (at the caster's discretion) for each hit of Eldritch Blast (x1-4 depending on character level).

I would place Plant Growth between the battle and where you will push the party member so they have to traverse the rough terrain created by the spell. If you want it to be even more difficult, target the individual with few or no ranged options.

Well that was sorta the plan, but with plant growth the spell takes up the entire map, and will land the players almost in the middle of the spell.