PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Strange multiclass questions

haplot
2020-04-25, 09:31 PM
Looking at a character which starts off as rogue, then picks up 2 lvls as monk, and picks up as well 2 lvls in fighter and barbarian. Yes I know there is alignments problem but thats going to be taken care of via RP ...

The main questions are concerning the barbarians rage ability.

1. Is the increase of HP from the increased con based on ECL or on barbarian levels? I'm assuming ECL?

2. What abilities off the rogue and monk can the character not use while raging? Sneak attack? flurry of blows? other class abilities (deflect arrows for eg)?

3. what about skills like tumble?
This is while wearing armour

Biggus
2020-04-25, 09:45 PM
1) Extra HPs are based on character level/hit dice.

2) As far as I'm aware, you can use all of those things in rage.

3) You can't use Tumble while raging ("While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride").

Also note that you lose most Monk abilities if you wear armour.

Him
2020-04-25, 10:10 PM
As above, though the monk abilities will be great at higher levels due to max dex modifier limitation in armor combined with a focus on physical stat items. Uncanny dodge combined with monk abilities is quality power gaming.

Vrock Bait
2020-04-25, 10:10 PM
Biggus basically answered the question, I would just like to add that Tumble is terribly impractical for Barbarians, since they usually have pretty heavy armor and ergo, pretty heavy armor check penalty.

Vrock Bait
2020-04-25, 10:13 PM
As above, though the monk abilities will be great at higher levels due to max dex modifier limitation in armor combined with a focus on physical stat items. Uncanny dodge combined with monk abilities is quality power gaming.

I’d say taking Monk seriously as an effective class at high levels disqualifies you from that label.

See, in higher level games, there are qualitative immunities, and qualitative abilities. The former is the monk’s forte, while the latter is what’s actually necessary. Mostly the monk just ends up annoying the DM to no end in various niche situations while being completely useless in normal combat.

Him
2020-04-25, 10:34 PM
Biggus basically answered the question, I would just like to add that Tumble is terribly impractical for Barbarians, since they usually have pretty heavy armor and ergo, pretty heavy armor check penalty.

See above post about armor at high level. The way of maxing out a.c. leading into epic is wearing a robe or something like a mage that gives a.c. bonus and maxing out stat including a monk bonus from wiz.

Try it at home on paper if you want . My build for this example would be 2monk, 2 barb, 12 fighter(?*shrug*) human. 16,14,14,14,12,8 stats. Make up your tank to compare with, and the same amount of cash you spend on armor, with my character spend on a cloak of armor or something, (actually probably robe just to make switching slots easy) and a item to enhance wisdom.

You,'ll see what I mean, the weakness is flat-footed ac, whichvis why uncanny dodge is needed.

And by the by, when I did used to make the clunkist tanks around and went for something like whirlwind attack fighter. I would always take at least 1 rank of Tumble just so I could move through opponents squares. Sure attacks of opportunity you say, but I was the clunky tank with mobility stacking for a rediculous ac. My party called me crazy until they saw it work..

I think i bagged them out and started singing Vanilla Ice "Can't touch this" at them or something.

But I digress.

Vrock Bait
2020-04-25, 10:42 PM
See above post about armor at high level. The way of maxing out a.c. leading into epic is wearing a robe or something like a mage that gives a.c. bonus and maxing out stat including a monk bonus from wiz.

Try it at home on paper if you want . My build for this example would be 2monk, 2 barb, 12 fighter(?*shrug*) human. 16,14,14,14,12,8 stats. Make up your tank to compare with, and the same amount of cash you spend on armor, with my character spend on a cloak of armor or something, (actually probably robe just to make switching slots easy) and a item to enhance wisdom.

You,'ll see what I mean, the weakness is flat-footed ac, whichvis why uncanny dodge is needed.

You’re right, I was reading Bel Gareth’s epic item guide just a few hours ago and saw Robe of Ebonsilk + Starmantle Cloak. Practically any character, melee or not, will probably take that combo as soon as they can afford it. Add Ring of Evasion to clean up your weaknesses. At mid level, just grab some natural armor or mage armor items. Of course, this is assuming you build long-term. If you’re not going too far, go for armor.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-25, 10:44 PM
A properly optimized monk has a surprisingly high ceiling for an NPC class. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863)

Him
2020-04-25, 11:03 PM
YouÂ’re right, I was reading Bel GarethÂ’s epic item guide just a few hours ago and saw Robe of Ebonsilk + Starmantle Cloak. Practically any character, melee or not, will probably take that combo as soon as they can afford it. Add Ring of Evasion to clean up your weaknesses. At mid level, just grab some natural armor or mage armor items. Of course, this is assuming you build long-term. If youÂ’re not going too far, go for armor.

Thanks for support but one small correction monk2 gets evasion, no weakness there.

Truth be told, if relying on magic items , you can get the same effects with a ring of evasion and a robe of eyes without needing to splash, but I still have player nightmares from anti magic fields in second ed, so I learnt that class features are better at the cost of a single BAB.

Plus going pure fighter is pointless past level 12 unless you NEED those extra feats, even going epic. Your weapon spec(the fighters big bonus apart from feats) is maxed out by then.

Another build I never got to develop was an exotic weapon master with a spiked chain whirlwind attacking while enlarged. Exotic Weapon Master covered the cover penalty for attacks, power attack for damage, improved trip for CC, but anyway. A walking physical damage fire ball,I think i even worked in supreme cleave class splash, or was I too feat starved. Meh.

Vrock Bait
2020-04-25, 11:04 PM
A properly optimized monk has a surprisingly high ceiling for an NPC class. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?285801-Tippy-s-Terrifically-Terrible-Trial/page25&p=15474863#post15474863)

Of course, there’s no absolutes in CO except for the law of “say something absolute and some Titan will come to disprove it”. I meant more in general outside of specific counterbuilds, since the monk by itself has never lended itself very well to high op.
Edit: Shoot, is Troll a custom title or a normal part of the hierarchy?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-04-25, 11:21 PM
I’d say taking Monk seriously as an effective class at high levels disqualifies you from that label.

It's weird to me how many people think this. Sure, vanilla Monk is pretty bad. But, it's got enough ACFs (including some of the best in the game for any class), especially at low levels, that a dip into Monk is a valuable addition to most non-caster builds - even if it's obviously not something every build can squeeze in - and certain builds can benefit from a lot more levels in Monk.

Example: There is a huge amount of alternate bonus feat options; odds are you can find two that you need. If you don't mind losing a point of BAB, this makes Monk 2 a much better option than Fighter 2 as a dip.

Example 2: Invisible Fist and Darkmoon Disciple alone can make for a highly effective stealth build, even without any other class features or optimization beyond putting ranks in Hide/Move Silently (both class skills for Monk). (And Darkstalker, of course, but that's a necessity for any stealth build).

Him
2020-04-25, 11:42 PM
???? My "vanilla" monk has a place in a party, but this different thread stuff.

But my high level monk ( yes admittedly, nerfed by an anti-magic field) was built to solo dragons up to a few CR high that my own level. Another build I wanted to but never got around to playing.. yet that is :p heavily based on feats gained by level 2 and a few custom items from wotc handbooks.

Please note while I hope you gain inspiration from my mentioned builds they are all trademarked by me. Even if you don't like them, at least you will know how not to build something for yourself, I will enjoy showing you how awesome my builds are (I think) if we ever get a chance to play. Now excuse me, I need to take my ego somewhere else(massive strength check ;) )

Allanimal
2020-04-26, 03:54 AM
I think i bagged them out and started singing Vanilla Ice "Can't touch this" at them or something.

But I digress.

I shall also digress and inform you that “Can’t Touch This” is by MC Hammer, not Vanilla Ice.

Sorry, I could not let this stand.

Now back to the thread.

Him
2020-04-26, 04:32 AM
I shall also digress and inform you that “Can’t Touch This” is by MC Hammer, not Vanilla Ice.

Sorry, I could not let this stand.

Now back to the thread.

Take note note everyone, I stand corrected! You may not see this happen again in you life time.

Well, anyway. Props.

And shaddup :p

haplot
2020-04-26, 05:36 AM
Main thing about the build would be rogue. rest of the levels would be for saves, fast movement and bonus fighter feats.

most of the stuff during rage seems to be self explanatory from your posts and rereading the rage entry, but what about the following during a rage, armoured with non monk weapon?

Improved grapple: im assuming this is okay to use
Trapsense
Crippling strike
Sneak attack
(improved) uncanny dodge -
Skills: spot, swim (both okay to use im assuming)

And thanks for the replies, is very much appreciated

Vrock Bait
2020-04-26, 06:57 AM
It's weird to me how many people think this. Sure, vanilla Monk is pretty bad. But, it's got enough ACFs (including some of the best in the game for any class), especially at low levels, that a dip into Monk is a valuable addition to most non-caster builds - even if it's obviously not something every build can squeeze in - and certain builds can benefit from a lot more levels in Monk.

Example: There is a huge amount of alternate bonus feat options; odds are you can find two that you need. If you don't mind losing a point of BAB, this makes Monk 2 a much better option than Fighter 2 as a dip.

Example 2: Invisible Fist and Darkmoon Disciple alone can make for a highly effective stealth build, even without any other class features or optimization beyond putting ranks in Hide/Move Silently (both class skills for Monk). (And Darkstalker, of course, but that's a necessity for any stealth build).

Of course, Monk is always a great dip, but not a great class.

Him
2020-04-26, 07:08 AM
Main thing about the build would be rogue. rest of the levels would be for saves, fast movement and bonus fighter feats.

most of the stuff during rage seems to be self explanatory from your posts and rereading the rage entry, but what about the following during a rage, armoured with non monk weapon?

Improved grapple: im assuming this is okay to use
Trapsense
Crippling strike
Sneak attack
(improved) uncanny dodge -
Skills: spot, swim (both okay to use im assuming)

And thanks for the replies, is very much appreciated

Improved grapple, please wait till after my birthday when I post my second most fav grappling build (though barb grappling will certainly optimize with str bonus), but to answer question,
which weapon? Light weapons only, And even then at -4 attack bonus.
Trapsense, yes
Crippling strike, yes (according to rules, sounds weird though right)
Sneak attack, yes
Swim and spot, no (re:biggus in second post, but to swim requires co-ordination and regular breathing and you won't spot much through the haze of blood lust).

But I am mostly just echoing stuff posted above. Best recommendation I have for you is get real familiar with grapple rules and in a different thread I also recommended to create a simple flow chart to help you and your DM keep track in game.

So not like real life though, last time a guy tackled me, I put them in a reverse guillotine, a variation of a sleeper hold, maybe he didn't have unarmed strike and that was my attack of opportunity*shrug*

Digressing again.

Vander Nars
2020-04-26, 07:42 AM
Looking at a character which starts off as rogue, then picks up 2 lvls as monk, and picks up as well 2 lvls in fighter and barbarian. Yes I know there is alignments problem but thats going to be taken care of via RP ...

The main questions are concerning the barbarians rage ability.

1. Is the increase of HP from the increased con based on ECL or on barbarian levels? I'm assuming ECL?

2. What abilities off the rogue and monk can the character not use while raging? Sneak attack? flurry of blows? other class abilities (deflect arrows for eg)?

3. what about skills like tumble?
This is while wearing armour

"While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill"
Yes you can spot, swim, but no you cant tumble.

if you want to be able to tumble while raging you will need to take the variant rage feature called Ferocity, its a web enhancement for cityscape and can be found with a google search. It replaces your rage with a similar ability and allows tumbling while active.

haplot
2020-04-26, 07:45 AM
thank you for the reply.

main thing of the character is the rogue classes for dealing with traps. going to be using a spiked chain (gaining exotic wpn prof for that via the fighter classes more than likely)

as far as i understand so far, combat rotation would probably sneak / tumble into position flanking an enemy with another party member with enlarge person active (via wiz casting or wand, whatever) and whirlwind attacking with disarm attempts (with improved disarm obviously), hoping to throw in raging in there as well.

Is there a better way of doing this using rogue as the major chasis?

Him
2020-04-26, 08:58 AM
Re: vrock bait, bah you lie, though I do freely admit the DM was going to allow me to tweak a rule for my ultimate monk. But I get the feeling I will be defending monk class a lot here so meh.

Re : Vander, thanks for the pick up, lucky I squeezed in the biggus reference.

Well, your right, that is a strange build, one I wouldn,t go for as you seem to be all over the shop with your focus.

I am assuming some kinda source of the divine power spell to combat the low BAB?
Part from that, if that what your build your character for then so be it.

My spiked chain build was built around the exotic weapon master so I could flurry of blows with the spike chain and do the attacks of opportunity, wasn't built around disarming, but tripping possibly with knock down. His traps, he felt with via evasion and with player knowledge it's fairly easy to know when traps will show up, there is a pattern if you want pay attention.

I wonder what a character template for someone like Ao out of forgotten realms is, reckon he would be gestalt (every class)? Ao was the father of all gods right? It's been I while, sometimes I have trouble remembering. What do you reckon his feats and skills would be.

I played End is a kid to escape from unhappiness., unfortunately, there was someone waiting there at the game table who took that from me too.

You want to know something, I want it back.

Vrock Bait
2020-04-26, 09:32 AM
Re: vrock bait, bah you lie, though I do freely admit the DM was going to allow me to tweak a rule for my ultimate monk. But I get the feeling I will be defending monk class a lot here so meh.

It’s true, you can really do some really freaky things with monk if you min/max correctly, especially by adding in a tad bit of psionics, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good class. Just because Takahashi No Onisan exists doesn’t mean CW’s Samurai is a good class.

RNightstalker
2020-04-27, 06:51 PM
Plus going pure fighter is pointless past level 12 unless you NEED those extra feats, even going epic. Your weapon spec(the fighters big bonus apart from feats) is maxed out by then.

Ah, you must be forgetting Weapon Supremacy, which requires 18 levels of Fighter!:tongue:

Vrock Bait
2020-04-27, 06:54 PM
Ah, you must be forgetting Weapon Supremacy, which requires 18 levels of Fighter!:tongue:

Go Warblade. It’s better in every way.

RNightstalker
2020-04-27, 07:13 PM
Go Warblade. It’s better in every way.

Except a Fighter has more bonus feats and a wider selection to choose from:wink:

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-27, 07:17 PM
Except a Fighter has more bonus feats and a wider selection to choose from:wink:All the fighter-only feats are gutter trash, honestly. It takes a LOT to make Weapon Specialization worth setting a feat on fire for, let alone two. Even Weapon Supremacy isn't worth bothering with at the level you can actually take it.

The best way to get W.S. is martial monk. Level 1 Weapon Supremacy is actually kinda nice.

RNightstalker
2020-04-27, 07:44 PM
...but thats going to be taken care of via RP ...
3. what about skills like tumble?r

As a DM I would allow that if you could RP it!
"Ok, please explain to me how your raging barbarian tumbles past the pit trap without provoking any AoO's on his way to Hulk-Smash the BBEG..."

Vrock Bait
2020-04-27, 07:56 PM
"Ok, please explain to me how your raging barbarian tumbles past the pit trap without provoking any AoO's on his way to Hulk-Smash the BBEG..."

Hulk roll!

Vrock Bait
2020-04-27, 08:00 PM
Except a Fighter has more bonus feats and a wider selection to choose from:wink:
Bonus feats are only useful at low levels; most of the time, you can’t get necessary abilities like flight or invisibility from them. Also, initiators have most of that versatility with almost none of the poor balance.

All the fighter-only feats are gutter trash, honestly. It takes a LOT to make Weapon Specialization worth setting a feat on fire for, let alone two. Even Weapon Supremacy isn't worth bothering with at the level you can actually take it.

The best way to get W.S. is martial monk. Level 1 Weapon Supremacy is actually kinda nice.

You are correct. But personally, if my DM allowed Chaos/martial monk for whatever insane reason, I would just go straight to Epic Spellcasting and be done with it. Alternatively, Troll-Blooded or Dragonwrought.

haplot
2020-04-28, 06:02 AM
well, the aim of the character is high saves, and using a spiked chain.

Going rogue first level, then monk, then fighter, then barbarian (slowly losing the lawful alignment).

I personally wouldnt let it fly that tumble for instance would work whilst raging, maybe others would disagree with me.

Is there a better way to use a spiked chain on a human rogue build?

Which reminds me, if the character got enlarge person on them, what would be the new reach and threatened areas of the spiked chain? Could you AoO throughout the threatened area?

Many thanks

Him
2020-04-28, 06:46 AM
It’s true, you can really do some really freaky things with monk if you min/max correctly, especially by adding in a tad bit of psionics, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good class. Just because Takahashi No Onisan exists doesn’t mean CW’s Samurai is a good class.

So, you admit my monk is Legendary. Good.

Didn't forget, just don't have the version 2 books, I am currently ignorant, not stupid. Big difference.

More a Thor jumping flip with hammer slam.

Hulk roll!

Are you thinking Sonic the Hedgehog?

Is there a better way to use a spiked chain on a human rogue build?

Which reminds me, if the character got enlarge person on them, what would be the new reach and threatened areas of the spiked chain? Could you AoO throughout the threatened area?

Many thanks

Youre question about a rogue spiked chain fighter is inherently confusing as to be a good two handed weapon fighter you need to be strength based. So, how many feats total will your character have? Just the 9? Cut down after prof, focus, whirlwind chain and combat reflexes to 1.

AoO won't work into squares the with cover, including cover provided by other mobs. For this you need abilities from the Exotic Weapon Master prestige class. Exotic, best ask you personal DM, my answer ciscthe simple *scrubbed* answer of, well, reach is doubled, right?

Now excuse me, SBS World movies is showing Journey to the West, go Monkey!!

Xervous
2020-04-28, 09:52 AM
As per SRD I am seeing nothing explicit about enemies denying AoOs when you have reach. Creatures do not provide cover and short of a few exceptions creatures do not obstruct a 5x5 vertical panel that has no gap as large as or larger than a 1x1 square, thus they do not fulfill the conditions for blocking line of effect.

Khedrac
2020-04-28, 10:14 AM
As per SRD I am seeing nothing explicit about enemies denying AoOs when you have reach. Creatures do not provide cover and short of a few exceptions creatures do not obstruct a 5x5 vertical panel that has no gap as large as or larger than a 1x1 square, thus they do not fulfill the conditions for blocking line of effect.

It's quite well buried, but in the Combat Modifiers section of the SRD:

COVER

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

When making a melee attack against an adjacent target, your target has cover if any line from your square to the target’s square goes through a wall (including a low wall). When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you (such as with a reach weapon), use the rules for determining cover from ranged attacks.

Low Obstacles and Cover: A low obstacle (such as a wall no higher than half your height) provides cover, but only to creatures within 30 feet (6 squares) of it. The attacker can ignore the cover if he’s closer to the obstacle than his target.

Cover and Attacks of Opportunity: You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with cover relative to you.
Therefore interposed creatures block threat with reach weapons.

Xervous
2020-04-28, 10:24 AM

Thank you, I missed that line.

RNightstalker
2020-04-28, 12:13 PM

Nice pull!

Khedrac
2020-04-28, 03:49 PM
Thank you, I missed that line.

It's a very common mistake, so you are in good company.

Buufreak
2020-04-29, 12:27 AM
Please note while I hope you gain inspiration from my mentioned builds they are all trademarked by me.

Just to point out the massive inaccuracy that is trying to claim to hold trademark of an already existing trademarked material. Especially considering the legal juggernaut that is wotc and how quickly any such attempt would be met with c&d. Trust me, I've got about a dozen saved in my email inbox for posterity sake.

That makes 2 in this thread alone, and you've only been around for about 5 days. Just imagine if we could see the rest of your existence.

Edit:

This is pure gold. Thanks for extrapolating that info, I'll be sure to bookmark it.

Emperor Tippy
2020-04-29, 01:14 AM

See, in higher level games, there are qualitative immunities, and qualitative abilities. The former is the monk’s forte, while the latter is what’s actually necessary. Mostly the monk just ends up annoying the DM to no end in various niche situations while being completely useless in normal combat.

Monk can actually be made surprisingly good, and at most every level. Even if you insist on lots of Monk levels.

I mean Rogue 1/ Invisible Fist (Exemplars of Evil) Decisive Strike (PHB2) Martial (Dragon #310) Monk 2 / Factotum 8/ X 7/ Swordsage 2 has Monk as one of its core mechanics and can deal absurd damage.

Ignoring that, Monk (thanks to Invisible Fist and Martial ACF's) is probably the best two level dip on an assassin or scout type build in the game. And if you aren't throwing two levels of Monk (Invisible Fist, Decisive Strike, and Martial) onto a Factotum 8+ then you are massively gimping your damage potential (Cunning Surge to move within range, Decisive Strike, Cunning Surge with the rest of your IP to get double damage on every attack).

Then there is Rogue 1/ Factotum 3/ Monk 12/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4 is better, although Rogue 1/ Factotum 3/ Psion 1/ Warlock 1/ Mindbender 1/ Monk 2/ Elocator 1/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Hit and Run Fighter 1/ Swordsage 1/Shadow Sun Ninja 1/ Swordsage 1 (2 lvl's total)/ Crusader 1/ Exemplar 1 (levels can to some extent be moved to taste) can make a truly nasty assassin type character. If LA Buy Off is in play, grab the Dark Template, if not you might want to consider dropping Exemplar for Shadowdancer (for Hide in Plain Sight).

Rogue 1/ Monk 12/ Psion 1/ Elocator 1/ Telflammar Shadowlord 4/ Swordsage 1 (remember your Ritual of Shadow Walking, Lords of Darkness, if your DM will let you) can be made quite viable as well at most levels; solid tier 3 at least.

Factotum 3/ Monk 17 can make a very respectable scout, assassin, and archery build on its own as well.

That's what Martial Monk is for; Weapon Supremacy at level 1. And strictly RAW legal too (there is some debate over Epic fighter feats).

hamishspence
2020-04-29, 01:18 AM
A case could be made that only the 6 feats specifically named in the Monk's class, get the "no prerequisites need to be met" bonus:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187121-Martial-Monk-is-teh-br0kenzorz

I don't think so. The words "these feats" refer to the six explicitly named feats in the same paragraph, not to whatever other feats the monk might pick up.

Or, you know, "At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, she may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them." You may also use the "Fighter bonus feat list to choose monk bonus feats (at 1st, 2nd and 6th levels)."

Wanna bet which interpretation your DM is going by?

Emperor Tippy
2020-04-29, 01:31 AM
A case could be made that only the 6 feats specifically named in the Monk's class, get the "no prerequisites need to be met" bonus:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?187121-Martial-Monk-is-teh-br0kenzorz

Not a case that could be made under the RAW rules.

"At 1st level, 2nd and 6th level a monk may select either a bonus feat from the Fighter bonus feat list. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them." (from the thread you linked)

Is how it should be read. "Bonus Feat" is the Monk class feature and Martial Monk doesn't change that, all it does is alter the feats that can be selected. RAW, a Monk need not meet any prerequisites for feats gained under the "Bonus Feat" class feature.

hamishspence
2020-04-29, 02:15 AM
IMO, both ways of reading it could be said to be "RAW" - the RAW is ambiguous on this point.

The actual description in Dragon Magazine simply says:

Gain: Fighter bonus feat list to choose monk bonus feats (at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level); Intimidate is class skill.
Lose: -1 skill point per level (and -4 skill points at its level); no Knowledge skills as class skills.

So, there's two ways of reading the modified class feature, depending on where you place the modification:

Generous version:

Bonus Feat
At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, she may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk may take any feat from the Fighter bonus feat list at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Stricter version:

Bonus Feat
A monk may take any feat from the Fighter bonus feat list at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level.

replacing all the text for the Bonus Feat class feature (since those 6 feats are already on the fighter bonus feat list).

It removes the limitations on which levels you can take those 6 feats, as well as adding all the other fighter bonus feats, but it also removes the "need not meet prerequisites" text.

Emperor Tippy
2020-04-29, 02:33 AM
IMO, both ways of reading it could be said to be "RAW" - the RAW is ambiguous on this point.

The actual description in Dragon Magazine simply says:

Gain: Fighter bonus feat list to choose monk bonus feats (at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level); Intimidate is class skill.
Lose: -1 skill point per level (and -4 skill points at its level); no Knowledge skills as class skills.

So, there's two ways of reading the modified class feature, depending on where you place the modification:

Generous version:

Bonus Feat
At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, she may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk may take any feat from the Fighter bonus feat list at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Stricter version:

Bonus Feat
A monk may take any feat from the Fighter bonus feat list at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level.

replacing all the text for the Bonus Feat class feature (since those 6 feats are already on the fighter bonus feat list).

It removes the limitations on which levels you can take those 6 feats, as well as adding all the other fighter bonus feats, but it also removes the "need not meet prerequisites" text.

Except it doesn't say that it replaces the Bonus Feat class feature; all it does is replace the feats in the Bonus Feat class feature. It is silent on the rest, which means the rest of the class feature remains intact. And the "A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them." bit is a separate sentence; ergo not touched by what Martial changes.

The words you are forgetting are "to choose monk bonus feats". Specifically, "Monk bonus feats". Martial Monk still has Monk bonus feats. And per the Monk's Bonus Feats class feature, the Monk need not meet the prerequisite for the feats it gains via that class feature.

Him
2020-04-29, 06:40 AM
I don't get props for knowing the cover from creatures? *sniff,sniff*

Well, anyway, Exotic Weapon Master became a must for my spiked chain build after reading, so I suggest you read up on the prestige class as well.