PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Blade Singer Build (Blade Singer Advice)

Drache64
2020-04-26, 12:31 AM
So I am getting ready for our session next week, we are currently level 4. I was playing a Mystic Wujen with a few limitations to balance the class, but I still felt more powerful than the rest of the party and chose to switch to the Spell Point variant (DMG 288) and switch to a caster.

The trick for me was to switch classes without switching play styles. I looked for quite a while and settled on the Blade Singer even thought I am a Human my DM ruled that I could go Blade Singer.

Here is what I am working with, note the DM had us roll 4d6 and keep the total so my stats are high, but so is everyone in the party.

Human (Variant)
Level 4 Blade Singer
HP: 26
Stats: STR:12|DEX:18|CON:14|INT:20|WIS:14|CHA:12
Skills: Acrobatics, Insight, History, Investigation,Perception, Performance, Stealth.
Studded Leather: AC 16 (21 with Blade Song)
Speed: 30 (40 with blade song)
Magic Items (Gifted From DM)
A clockwork Pocketwatch that turns into a spider familiar
A cloak that grants advantage on Stealth.
Feats:
Level 1: Linguist (For that 20 INT)
Level 4: War Caster (Because concentration checks).

Spells:
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Message, Fire Bolt.
Level 1: Absorb Elements, Shield, Charm Person, Disguise Self, False Life, Alarm, Detect Magic, Unseen Servant.
Level 2: Darkness, Scorching Ray, Shadow Blade, Misty Step

So as a Mystic my character focused on fire powers (Mastery of Fire), and Darkness (Mastery of Light and Dark) with minor telepathic abilities (Telepathy and Mystic Charm).

To keep the character the same while only changing the class I picked similar spells to the powers he had (Such as darkness, fire spells, charm spells etc).

But does he work mechanically?? I kept the theme but is this a viable character?

Here is a run down of my battle plans:(SP stands for spell points because I am using the spell point variant remember).

I have 17 Spell Points to Spend
Before the Dungeon: False Life -2 SP (15 SP)
Combat Start: Bonus Action: Blade Song (AC 21, HP 36+, Spd 40), Action Fire Bolt
Next Round: Bonus Action: Shadow Blade, Movement Run into Combat, Action: Green Flame Blade: +7 to hit, 2d8+5 DMG, +5 DMG to something w/in 5 ft (SP 12), or Booming Blade if the Paladin will use Compel Duel (So the enemy will have to leave my threat range).
Too far to attack, Fire Bolt or Scorching Ray
Big Hit in Combat: Scorching Ray: +7 to hit, 3d6 fire dmg total (3 rays)

Dork_Forge
2020-04-26, 02:13 AM
Cursory look it seems perfectly viable to me, unless I missed it you might want some way to deal with the dark and I'd just ditch the armor altogether. You're casting Mage Armor anyway and the spell doesn't apply if you're wearing any kind of armor (donning and doffing mundane armor is always a hassle).

If you can wrangle an extra point in cha a single level of Draconic Sorcerer will go far for you. It'll give you permanent Mage Armor, saving sp and a prepared spell and give you a bunch of cantrips (pick up Mage Hand to lean into the minor Telekinesis you had as a Mystic) and always have Shield ready.

Drache64
2020-04-26, 08:20 AM
Cursory look it seems perfectly viable to me, unless I missed it you might want some way to deal with the dark and I'd just ditch the armor altogether. You're casting Mage Armor anyway and the spell doesn't apply if you're wearing any kind of armor (donning and doffing mundane armor is always a hassle).

If you can wrangle an extra point in cha a single level of Draconic Sorcerer will go far for you. It'll give you permanent Mage Armor, saving sp and a prepared spell and give you a bunch of cantrips (pick up Mage Hand to lean into the minor Telekinesis you had as a Mystic) and always have Shield ready.

I messed up, I forgot I dropped the mage armor spell because it was a whole spell used just to gain +1 AC when I can probably get +1 studded leather.
Without mage armor my AC is 21, with it, it's 22.

I ended up dropping mage armor and getting Aborb Elements.

I also can prepare 9 spells per day at this level, but I can know 12. so I chose 9 spells to prepare and 3 rituals so at least for now I can use everything at my disposal.