PDA

View Full Version : Refluffing Races Into Other Races

Rakoa
2020-04-26, 08:45 AM
What races can be safely refluffed into other races? Whether the new race is official or not lorewise. This is an imagination exercise to improve racial diversity in games without unbalancing anything.

To start, I present the Dhampir.

Dexterous and charismatic, they prowl the cobbled city streets, unseen, but seeing all. Their claws at the ready, they lunge from the shadows with supernatural speed, claiming the lives of the unfortunate nightfolk and others who will not be missed, before easily scaling the side of a building and vanishing to the rooftops....

I use the Tabaxi stats. If you don't mind changing damage types, you could even call the claws a bite.

So what are yours?

da newt
2020-04-26, 09:10 AM
I figure you could reskin anything as long as you kept the stats/mechanics unchanged, who cares what something looks like or calls itself ...

You want to be a dog-boy instead of a cat-boy (tabaxi), go for it - pick any race you want and say it looks like a dog.

LudicSavant
2020-04-26, 09:34 AM
What races can be safely refluffed into other races? Whether the new race is official or not lorewise. This is an imagination exercise to improve racial diversity in games without unbalancing anything.

To start, I present the Dhampir.

Dexterous and charismatic, they prowl the cobbled city streets, unseen, but seeing all. Their claws at the ready, they lunge from the shadows with supernatural speed, claiming the lives of the unfortunate nightfolk and others who will not be missed, before easily scaling the side of a building and vanishing to the rooftops....

I use the Tabaxi stats. If you don't mind changing damage types, you could even call the claws a bite.

So what are yours?

Format: Original race -> Refluffed concept

Simic Hybrid -> Daelkyr Halfblood
Dragonmarked races -> Sorcerer bloodlines.
Half-Orc -> Orc

That last one was particularly popular given what Volo's did to orcs...

Bobthewizard
2020-04-26, 11:44 AM
I once played in a game where you could use any race you wanted but everyone was human. Tortle just had a great AC. Tabaxi scratched with their human hands. Stuff like that. When I DM, any fluff change is fine as long as it fits the world.

jmartkdr
2020-04-26, 11:48 AM
Wood elf -> cat people. (maybe take out trance)