PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dragging a creature with a rope of entanglement

Lupine
2020-04-26, 10:49 AM
I was looking at the Erinyes, and saw the varient, where they get a rope of entanglement. My thought with this is that the erinyes has a fly speed of 60 feet: could it hook a creature 20 feet away with it, and (assuming the creature is in its carry capacity) fly off with it, at its full speed?

On the yes side:

It can carry a rock that size, no problem
The creature is restrained at the end of a rope, not grappled.
If a creature really wants out, it can just slash the rope
Creature at other end of rope is not really able to effect you.
Does less damage, on average, than if it was to just use its swords

On the no side:

Grappling precedent suggests half movement, even if creature is lifted When you move, you can drag or carry the Grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you. Which would mean that you are slowed.
Allows the Erinyes to deal 6d10 bludgeoning damage every other turn for only an action and bonus action cost (So, it can use an action to use rope 20 feet in the air, then fly up 60 feet, fly down to 60 feet, use the three longsword attacks for an average of 66 damage, then drop them 60 feet for an average of 33 damage, dealing an average of 99 damage in a single round)
Together with poison from longbow, forces players to use ranged attacks at disadvantage, making it's hitpoints last longer

I'm undecided what to do with this, because it seems really powerful, but also not, at the same time. Rules are unclear, I think. So what say you, good people of GiTP? Can the erinyes do this?

Also, a side question, can the erinyes attach the rope to itself, somehow, so that it can have its hands free?

Lunali
2020-04-26, 11:03 AM
The creature is not restrained at the end of the rope, the rope moves to the target within 20ft and ties them up.

Lupine
2020-04-26, 05:04 PM
The creature is not restrained at the end of the rope, the rope moves to the target within 20ft and ties them up.

Ah that makes a lot more sense. I was reading it as if it was Wonder Woman's golden lasso.

DrKerosene
2020-04-27, 01:56 AM

I mean, the last line of the first paragraph says:
The target must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or become Restrained.

The grappled condition is a different one from the restrained condition. While I assume The Rope Of Entanglement is basically a magic version of the mundane Net, I don’t think you can do force movement with it, like dragging someone by a lasso.

I figure it’s more to inflict a condition like if a Shield Master can start with an attempt to Shove Prone the target.

Zhorn
2020-04-27, 02:52 AM
Ah that makes a lot more sense. I was reading it as if it was Wonder Woman's golden lasso.

Given the artwork for 5e Erinyes, that would be an easy assumption to have made
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/7/78/Erinyes-5e.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161013133923

CapnWildefyr
2020-04-27, 06:56 AM

technically what I have is "If you hold one end of the rope and use an action to speak its Command Word, the other end darts forward to Entangle a creature you can see within 20 feet of you. The target must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or become Restrained." so you are holding one end of the rope. Assuming here that the rope is 50 feet long, just like most other dnd ropes.

So yes that makes the demon scary, although whether you can attack with a sword AND hold a man sized creature suspended in the air is another story. Personally I dont think I would do that, I would assume both hands on the kicking and screaming PCs rope. Still, its a wriggling meat shield, and the sudden stop at the end of a long drop will hurt.

Edit: my assumption is that you are still holding the other end of the rope, unless there is another official clarification besides the description? Nothing says you have to let go.