PDA

View Full Version : The Bardbarian

Baron Corm
2007-10-25, 03:23 AM
Sure I could have called him the Sonic Smasher, the Singing Berzerker, the Frenzied Dancer. But who doesn't love saying Bardbarian. Probably been done before, but here's my take.

Bardbarian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Bardbarian, rage +1/day, greater rage, passionate performance, inspire greatness

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Song of freedom

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Damage reduction 1/-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Inspire courage +1, rage +2/day, indomitable will

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Inspire heroics

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Damage reduction 2/-

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Tireless rage

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Rage +3/day

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Damage reduction 3/-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Epic smasher

[/table]

Hit Die: d10
Class Skills: Everything on the bard and barbarian lists
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Requirements

Alignment: Any nonlawful
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Perform 8 ranks, Intimidate 8 ranks
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave
Special: Rage 2/day, Bardic Music, able to cast 2nd level bardic spells

Bardbarian

The bardbarian is able to use the Perform skill while raging. He is also able to cast any spell from the bard class while raging. He may use metamagic feats and make Concentration checks related to spellcasting while raging. Levels in bardbarian stack with bard for determining bardic music uses per day, bardic music effectiveness, and they advance spellcasting from the bard class.

Passionate Performance (Ex)

A bardbarian who plays bardic music while raging plays upon the passion of both so that each enhances the other. When the bardbarian slays an enemy in combat while passionately performing, he gains +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, and a +1 morale bonus on Will saves which last until he loses the effects of either the bardic music or the rage.

Slaying additional enemies give a cumulative bonus, up to a maximum Strength and Constitution bonus equal to the bardbarian's class level and a maximum Will save bonus equal to half the bardbarian's class level. At level one, the maximum is instead +2/+2/+1.

Any allies affected by the bardbarian's bardic music while the bardbarian gains this additional bonus also gain the bonus Strength, Constitution, and Will save, but do not gain any other effects of a rage (including the initial bonuses). The bonuses disappear from them when the bardic music does. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Rage

The bardbarian increases his uses per day of rage at levels 1, 4, and 8.

Inspire Greatness

As the bard ability

Greater Rage

As the barbarian ability

Song of Freedom

At 2nd level the bardbarian receives Song of Freedom, as the bard ability

Damage Reduction

At 3rd level the bardbarian receives damage reduction 1/-. This increases to 2/- at level 6 and to 3/- at level 9. It stacks with any damage reduction from barbarian levels.

Inspire Courage +1

At 4th level the bardbarian's Inspire Courage ability is improved by +1.

Indomitable Will

As the barbarian ability

Inspire Heroics

At 5th level the bardbarian receives Inspire Heroics, as the bard ability.

Tireless Rage

At 7th level the bardbarian receives Tireless Rage, as the barbarian ability.

Epic Smasher

At 10th level, the bardbarian becomes able to enunciate his blows so passionately, yet gracefully, that he may cast a bardic spell and attack once in a single standard action. This eliminates the need for a verbal component, but may only be done while passionately performing. In addition, allies who see the barbarian attack while passionately performing can gain the benefits of his bardic music even if they can't hear him.

Altharis
2007-10-25, 05:05 AM
...And here I was, thinking of ways to make a base class that does exactly what you've done here. I'll still make the base class, but...wow! It captures the essence of the Bardbarian exactly.

On the outside, it would seem overpowered, but I just can't seem to put my finger on its downfall... (Though maybe that's due to my post-fencing lesson tiredness.) Maybe not allowing Bardic Spells within a rage as Bardic spells are more out-of-combat buffs? Maybe cutting down the skill list? I'm hard pressed here...

Definately using this in a campaign somewhere,
Altharis

Baron Corm
2007-10-25, 07:08 AM
yesss! i do get one right every once in a while! (been a long while)

Roderick_BR
2007-10-25, 07:23 AM
"Smash smash smash the enemy"
That's an interesting concept. There's only two things I think are a bit off.
First, ALL the bard's abilities are being advanced. Why take bard levels above 10? You should choose one or two abilities. I'd suggest the whole bard music, put some dead spell levels, and don't advance the bardic knowledge, as it doesn't make sense for the class.
Bardbarian: Add that only bardic spells can be used in rage.
Epic Smasher: Good one, as it technically allows the bardbarian to cast while he fights. To don't make it too unbalanced, add that he can do it only when raging. Maybe he can cast bardic spells or use bardic music like swift actions while raging?

Baron Corm
2007-10-25, 09:53 AM
there, fixed the prereqs so that you need 4 levels of barbarian and bard to enter the class. originally i didn't want to pidgeonhole people, but you're right a bard can just go 9 bard/1 barbarian/10 bardbarian for too much gain. this way they have to lose more caster levels without further punishing those who go the solid 5 bard/5 barbarian.

also took out bardic knowledge. and.. it already says only bardic spells while raging and epic smasher only while raging (i call it passionately performing). thanks for fixes.