PDA

View Full Version : Caldera Jēla And The City Of Zjarr [IC]

JNAProductions
2020-04-26, 09:33 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?611115-Caldera-Jla-And-The-City-Of-Zjarr-OOC&p=24474010#post24474010)

You're dropped off, quite literally, into Caldera Jēla. The walls are high, and you go tumbling down as you're dumped from the caravan. The ground is soft with grass, but the landing is still rough. A few animals spook as you come crashing in, scurrying into the verdant undergrowth.

You see an older man sitting in front of a peaceful-looking cabin. His chair rocks a little, back and forth, as he looks over to you all. In his hands is a raccoon, who snuggles up to him as he strokes its back. "Newcomers, eh?" he says.

redfeline
2020-04-27, 04:32 PM
Autumn dusts her self off, she knows how to take a fall, however she did what she could to not look like it. She looks up the steep walls. 'Great idea, break into the worlds most secure prison, commit a crime, find ancient ruins, and get back out.

"Is it that obvious?" She smiles Perhaps we enjoyed being dumped so much we asked to go again. She eyes the immediate surroundings surveying the scene. "Can I ask what happens next?"

JNAProductions
2020-04-27, 04:40 PM
"You make peace with the fact that you're never leaving, and try to find a home here," the man says. "Not much else you can do."

TheEnnui
2020-04-27, 05:46 PM
The good doctor rolled away from the jumble and he groaned as he pushed himself to his feet and dusted himself off. "Well lets try not doing that again. As much as I enjoy your company that closeness was uncomfortable." He would turn and see Autumn addressing an old man "Oh hello! Oh yes, stuck forever. Prison and all that. Any suggestions where we might be able to spend the night before we need to find this new place?"

JNAProductions
2020-04-27, 05:53 PM
The man shrugs. "Normally, there'd be more people here to greet you, and 'greet' you, but they're all investigating the city. I'm just staying here with Doug," he says, scratching his raccoon behind the ears.

redfeline
2020-04-27, 07:03 PM
Investigating the city? What can you tell us about that? Also am I to understandby your tone that an asskicking is in my near future or is that not what you ment by 'greet'?

JNAProductions
2020-04-27, 07:08 PM
"You look like capable people," he says, "but there's plenty of people that'll kick your teeth in for no good reason. Watch your back-not everyone's so friendly as I am."

Modigar
2020-04-27, 07:55 PM
Serena stands back and lets the others take the lead on the conversation, focusing intently on the old man. Everyone is here for a reason, right? Maybe he can be trusted, but she wants to know if he has any ulterior motives as well.

Can I roll Insight to see if I can figure out if this guy has an angle on being so helpful? If so: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-04-27, 07:59 PM
He seems an honest enough man. That being said, he speaks with an unnatural calm-unnatural given the situation.

If he's a political prisoner, he seems oddly sure of himself against the brutes in here.
If he's one of the brutes, he's oddly polite.

Nothing's triggering your "Don't trust him" sense, but there's more than meets the eye.

Izzarra
2020-04-27, 09:56 PM
Zhanty gets up from the landing and brushes off the dust.

She asks Doug the raccoon how he is doing.

Through sound and gestures, you may communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts.

JNAProductions
2020-04-28, 09:44 AM
I don't think you can understand them in return, though. If I'm wrong, let me know!

The raccoon perks up when Zhanty asks him how his day is going. He bucks a little at the man's hands, and he says "You sure you trust them, Doug?" Doug continues to buck, and the man shrugs. "Guess he likes you," he says, setting Doug down.

Doug immediately scurries over to Zhanty, snuggling against her feet.

Illven
2020-04-28, 02:56 PM
Titanita picks herself up. [Anything her right now, 31 passive perception picks up ?]

Aw, aren't you a cutie, a total cutie! She says to Doug.

JNAProductions
2020-04-28, 07:07 PM
You see forever!

But specifically, you see signs that people tend to hide here-presumably to ambush newcomers. The ambush spots are all empty, for the moment, though-presumably because of the new discovery.

Izzarra
2020-04-28, 08:49 PM
Zhanty offers Doug some scratchies behind the ear.

JNAProductions
2020-04-28, 09:10 PM
Doug seems very content to be the center of attention, and to be meeting new friends.

You spot, not an inconsiderable distance away, some more hard-bitten looking men approaching.

The man, though, ***** his head to the side. "You get the feeling that someone just walked over your grave?"

redfeline
2020-04-28, 09:56 PM
"Considering I am not dead yet I hope not. Well my fellow inmates, there is safety in numbers. May I suggest we stick together in town to avoid a big brute trying to prove a point." Autumn gestures to the side and hopes the others will pick up on her act. [roll0] deception on her intent from Doug's owner.

Lieing has never been autumns strong point. She hopes she isn't jeopardizing the whole mission with her bad performance.

TheEnnui
2020-04-28, 10:37 PM
Dee smiles at the comment adding a short quiet chuckle "Yeah, I've walked over many graves, so I am sure I've caused my fair share." he looks to see what Titania is seeing (Passive Perception 24).

"Tell me friend, how come these roughens don't seem to bother you?" he asks to Doug while not looking at him.

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 07:48 AM
Doug is the raccoon. I'm going to assume you meant you're asking the man, who's name you know not yet.

And yeah, you spot the same thing with your Perception of 24. No one is ever gonna sneak up on you guys, are they? :P

The man shakes his head. "They do. I try to greet newcomers peaceably, try to get them to behave, and while I've learned some self-defense over the years, I'm more a talker than a fighter. I've got some friends who can help, but... Well, I've got the scars to show why maybe this isn't the best idea. But dammit," he says, "I live here. I'm going to try to make this the best place I can."

The approaching ruffians are drawing nearer, and now attempting to hide, unaware that some of you have eyes that pierce all.

redfeline
2020-04-29, 11:38 AM
Autumn watches the thugs casually hide. She is reasonably sure she can take some or even all of them in a fight. However that would betray their stealth. She takes a moment to count the ones she can see and to look for a path they don't have blocked. (Passive perception 24)

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 11:40 AM
There's about a half-dozen of them. A moment of counting confirms that it is exactly six.

There's several easy routes that would avoid passing by them-they are only coming from one direction. Had you not spotted them earlier, you still almost certainly would've noticed them as they drew nearer, but they're at least competent at hiding-competent enough for the average prisoner, most likely.

redfeline
2020-04-29, 02:19 PM
Autumn softly touches her gnome friends shoulder. With Zhanty's attention she slightly nods in the direction of the thugs. She would like some sort of plan. "Are we going to fight or run? She whispers

Izzarra
2020-04-29, 08:51 PM
Zhanty turns to look away from the old man and whispers to Autumn "Best to keep the charade going as long as we can."

Illven
2020-04-29, 09:23 PM
So does that mean beat them up? Titania questions quietly.

redfeline
2020-04-29, 10:18 PM
"I believe Zhanty means that we don't appear threatening for as long as possible. So go wide in our exit, let them decide if we are worth a chase." She whispers to the pair Autumn goes forward to the raccoon owner. "May I ask where is the safest place to be for a new arrival? I hear Caldera Jela has entire villages in it. Where should we go, Mr..." She lets her sentence trail off to see if he volunteers a name.

JNAProductions
2020-04-29, 10:34 PM
"Adams," he replies. "Check some of the farmsteads-they tend to not be bothered much, since everyone needs to eat."

You head out along a path away from the ruffians. Doug returns to Mr. Adams, and the pair vanish from sight as you make your way deeper into the caldera. As you crest a slight hill, it opens up before you-a vast hollow of stone and dirt, peppered with buildings, fortresses, entire villages. And, deep in the center, just barely visible beyond a pall of mist, is a glimmering spire of an ancient tower.

Where will you go? What will you do?

TheEnnui
2020-04-30, 10:10 AM
"This is incredible, how much did they build here? How much did they simply salvage from the forest's encroachment?" The doctor said with a smile that barely hide his joy at the sight. "I could spend forever here exploring all these old ruins." he admitted but his eyes fell to the tower "Is that their way into the ruins? Or just the most prominent of the old surface ruins?" he knew none here could tell him. "First things first, shall we equip ourselves before we venture too far? Or at least those with a penchant for stealth should have a thing or two. While the rest engage openly they could remain in the back in case we need assistance?"

"I'm not much for a fist fight I'm afraid."

redfeline
2020-04-30, 12:47 PM
Autumn begins to equip her gear. "I would assume that if the entrance is so obvious that it would be highly guarded. So I feel we should gather what information we can first and then make our decision from there."

Izzarra
2020-04-30, 03:04 PM
After the party walks away from Mr. Adams, Zhanty reaches into her overcoat and pulls out her familiar Nibbles the squirrel and places him on her shoulder and tells him to keep an eye on those ruffians.

Now that they were away from potential eavesdroppers.
"No, let us not get all of our gear out. We should maintain the appearance of prisoners for as long as we can. We would not want to cause a riot by walking past these people bedecked in fancy equipment. Let us only retrieve the bare minimum for now."

Will retrieve arcane focus crystal and dagger and put them in pockets. Am already wearing armor under overcoat and vest.

Illven
2020-05-01, 03:07 AM
I could grab my missletoe, and would feel more comfortable with my symbol of the Hearthmother.

TheEnnui
2020-05-02, 10:12 AM
The doctor would agree "Alright then, we do not need to be so obvious which is why I suggested those of us capable at stealth to have some. Their gear tends to be the least splendid."

Modigar
2020-05-02, 10:34 AM
Serena grabs her own magical equipment, with a few foci and component pouches to hide on per person, and nods in agreement. "Agreed. Most of my best stuff is subtle anyway, and if need be I can be pretty sneaky up until the moment I set everyone on fire."

JNAProductions
2020-05-02, 11:07 AM
As you talk amongst yourselves, those of you who're perceptive hear something coming from behind-something small and adorable.

Doug finds you, chittering madly and concernedly. You see a few specks of human blood in his fur.

Izzarra
2020-05-02, 11:26 AM
Cast Speak with Animals.

"What happened Doug?"

JNAProductions
2020-05-02, 11:30 AM
"They attacked! Master Adams is hurt! Please help!" Doug says urgently.

Those of you who cannot understand hear a very concerned-sounding raccoon.

Izzarra
2020-05-02, 04:41 PM
"Doug says that Master Adams is hurt. Lets go help."

redfeline
2020-05-02, 05:08 PM
Autumn finishes putting on her bracers as Doug arrives. She begins to roll down her sleeves over them. She then pulls on a set of fingerless kid skin gloves that allow her claws to be uses freely. The gloves disappear as soon as they are on. Invisible magic items, are always nice. She almost left them on for the ride down here and thought better of it. Lastly she straps a whip to her side.

Upon hearing Zhanty anger is plainly on Autumn's face. "Looks like I am going to be kicking their asses after all." She sets off back in the direction they had come from with no negotiation.

JNAProductions
2020-05-03, 11:15 AM
You rush back to where Adams was, one of you carrying Doug. When you get near, you see the thugs have pretty much finished handling Adams-he's on the ground, unconscious, possibly hurt pretty badly.

The six of them are just kinda lounging, now, laughing cruelly.

Izzarra
2020-05-03, 05:33 PM
Zhanty tells Doug and Nibbles "Take cover." Then calls forth a giant illusion of Doug.

She walks to within 110 ft of the thugs. "Now that there is a friend of ours, more importantly a friend of Doug."

Have the illusion come into view, gallop up next to her, and roar with bits of spittle flying from the maw.

"This is Doug, We do not take kindly to people that hurt Doug's friends."

Dismissing familiar to pocket dimension.
Casting Major Image to create the largest possible illusion of Doug that can operate in the area without interfering with surrounding objects before coming into view of the thugs.
Spell save is DC 17

TheEnnui
2020-05-04, 09:40 PM
The good doctor came up on the other side of the illusion. "It seems that some men just do not have any manners do they?" He had his hands before him moving as if preparing something but nothing came of it yet.

redfeline
2020-05-04, 10:33 PM
Autumn casually walks up on the side opposite the giant illusion. She holds a net loosely in one hand. Now would be a good time for you to run away as fast as you can. Helping Zhanty's intimidate check

Modigar
2020-05-05, 11:32 AM
Besides the illusion, wreathed in flame, is Samantha, slowly striding towards them. "Or you could fight, incinerating you would be fun." She grins viciously. "Please fight, I haven't had an opportunity to kill anyone in days." The flames intensify, and she looks as though she's about to leap at them any moment.

JNAProductions
2020-05-05, 11:35 AM
The men turn tail and run, sprinting as fast as their legs will carry them.

The real Doug looks for just a moment at his giant self, then rushes forward to Adams, nuzzling against him and mewling in sympathy. Adams' eyes crack open, and he whispers to Doug. "It's okay, boy, it's okay... Gods, everything hurts."

Izzarra
2020-05-05, 09:18 PM
Zhanty has the Giant Doug give chase to the limit of the spell range then give a final bellow before coming back. She makes sure that the thugs are well out of sight before dismissing the spell.

"How are you doing Master Adams, does anything feel broken?"

JNAProductions
2020-05-06, 11:08 AM
"Yes," he says, groaning in pain. "I thought I had more time..."

He'll need about 6 HP worth of healing to fix him up right.

Izzarra
2020-05-07, 10:16 PM
Zhanty tells the others in the party "Do what you can to help him, I will go and brew a healing tea."

She runs off and spends a few minutes pretending to gather some nearby herbs.

Plan was to decant a healing potion into a mug or small pot, warm it up for Master Adams, and try to pass it off as tea. However with Illven back this might not be necessary.

redfeline
2020-05-11, 04:01 PM
Autumn tries some simple bandages to stop the bleeding. [roll0]

She tears some fabric from her clothing and places tight turnicits on them.

Illven
2020-05-12, 02:47 AM
Titatina will intone a few words of prayer.

Casting cure wounds [roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-05-12, 10:36 AM
As Autumn tears her cloth strips, Titania casts her spell. Adam's wounds close, his bruises fade, and he sits up. "Thank you... Thank you so very much. See, Doug?" he says, "it's okay. But, erm, I feel like I should thank you, properly. I don't know if I can do anything, though."

Illven
2020-05-12, 09:59 PM
It is no problem good sir. Titania beams warmly.

JNAProductions
2020-05-12, 10:05 PM
He scratches Doug behind the ear as the raccoon nuzzles into him. "I should be on my way-now that they're coming back, I need to return to safety. Or at least... Safe as it gets here," he says. "Good luck, friends."

Izzarra
2020-05-12, 10:21 PM
While pretending to look for herbs Zhanty sees Master Adams getting up and comes back empty handed. "I hope that the fear of giant Doug will keep them away from you for some time Master Adams."

JNAProductions
2020-05-12, 10:23 PM
"It's not just them I'm worried about," he says.

Do y'all want to interact more with him, or move on to Zjarr? Or, at least, closer.

Izzarra
2020-05-12, 10:41 PM
"Not just them? Is there anybody else we should keep an eye out for?"

JNAProductions
2020-05-12, 10:42 PM
"With the power you just demonstrated? No one I interact with should bother you," he says. "Which is not to say you'll be safe here. But I can't really tell you anyone to watch out for. Out of my wheelhouse."

JNAProductions
2020-05-13, 08:43 AM
You set off once more, this time uninterrupted, and make your way towards the city's spires.

You get about three hours of travel uneventfully, arriving at one of the nearest spires. There's a small group of people investigating the spire, but seemingly without having found an entrance yet.

redfeline
2020-05-13, 02:01 PM
Perhaps we have better access at night? Autumn says while looking at the gathered group around the spire.

JNAProductions
2020-05-13, 04:41 PM
You're not far from them, but their attention is wrapped up in the city. From this distance, you do not see any entrances-though you do see runes speckling the outside. The group has not noticed your presence yet.

Izzarra
2020-05-14, 10:15 PM
"Yes, approaching at night would probably be a good idea. Shall we look around this area while we pass the time?"

redfeline
2020-05-18, 10:28 PM
"Well if there are no further arguments let us head some distance away and rest until night fall. She takes one more look at the ruins seeing she could spot anything else of use. [roll0]

JNAProductions
2020-05-19, 12:01 PM
At the tip of the spire you see a faint indent-barely visible, but possibly a door in.

redfeline
2020-05-23, 12:27 AM
Quietly the Autumn tells the others.I believe I see a clue to the entrance near the top of the spire.