PDA

View Full Version : magical peafowl

Noxangelo
2020-04-27, 06:54 AM
so i'm making an NPC with a bunch of magebred pets and i was thinking to give him a pair of peafowl with access to some magic like SLA's what do you guys think would be the best way to get them. like feats or templates, i'm more than happy to waive arbitrary restrictions for the feats or templates.

eventually as the campaign moves on i plan on getting them awakened and have them take levels in sorc or such, and i don't dropping awkward template when the time comes.

Edit:

probable should have been more specific, serves me right for posting at 1 am.

since they are only pets not familiars or companions and they are for an NPC, they don't need to be earth shattering but they would need to be relevant and useful while adventuring and preferably unaffected by SR and saves.

they don't have to be offensive, but showy helps and colourful would be cool. (they are peafowl, and will have somewhat dramatic and flamboyant personalities)

Palanan
2020-04-27, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Noxangelo
…i was thinking to give him a pair of peafowl with access to some magic like SLA’s….

Do you want suggestions on which SLAs would be appropriate, or how to get them? If the latter, it would help if we knew what you had in mind.

If the former, I would think some form of fascination effect would be appropriate. And possibly dazed or a fear condition from the piercing cry.

Originally Posted by Noxangelo
…and i don't dropping awkward template when the time comes.

Can’t follow your syntax here, can you please clarify?

Thurbane
2020-04-27, 05:34 PM
Maybe take a creature like the Corollax (MM2 p.50) and re-fluff it as a peafowl?

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_21.jpg

Or for something a bit nastier, there's the Wilora from City of Splendors: Waterdeep (p. 141).

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sfery/images/c/c9/Wilora.jpg

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-27, 07:09 PM
Animate dead ones with the spelstitched template?

Noxangelo
2020-04-27, 10:33 PM
Do you want suggestions on which SLAs would be appropriate, or how to get them? If the latter, it would help if we knew what you had in mind.

If the former, I would think some form of fascination effect would be appropriate. And possibly dazed or a fear condition from the piercing cry.

edited for clarity (i hope)

Can’t follow your syntax here, can you please clarify?

basically if the template messes with the awakened sorcerer bit then it will magically vanish

Noxangelo
2020-04-27, 10:34 PM
Animate dead ones with the spelstitched template?

that's pretty cool actually. they are magebred so i can imagine they could have been spellstitched despite being alive.

Ruethgar
2020-04-28, 10:44 PM
Could you temporarily make them undead to legally qualify?

daremetoidareyo
2020-04-28, 11:38 PM
Could you temporarily make them undead to legally qualify?

Might be easier to change their type to humanoid and then apply the necropolitan template through the ritual, which would include a necessary temporary increase in Hit dice, which means that you'll have to infect them with lycanthropy when they become human typed.

Is the spellstitched necropolitan wereviper peafowl able to assume a peafowl/viper hybrid form?

help! I'm lost in the weeds...

Noxangelo
2020-04-29, 07:18 AM
Might be easier to change their type to humanoid and then apply the necropolitan template through the ritual, which would include a necessary temporary increase in Hit dice, which means that you'll have to infect them with lycanthropy when they become human typed.

Is the spellstitched necropolitan wereviper peafowl able to assume a peafowl/viper hybrid form?

help! I'm lost in the weeds...

lol. as hilarious as that would be, i am DM so i'm probably just going to make them magically spellstitched while alive. i may make one of them be able to turn its tail into snakes though . . . serpent kingdoms here we come.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-29, 12:58 PM
The shroud of undeath spell (Spell Compendium) makes you count as undead without becoming undead, so feel free to add the template while they're under the effects of the spell.