PDA

View Full Version : Head Slot Item for Warlord

Sepultra
2020-04-27, 10:17 AM
I'm playing a Warlord (PoW) and this is the first campaign I've ever played where we get WBL - or something close to it. It's been really fun to play with so far and I've had a lot of fun looking through magic items that my character could potentially get in some way (subject to DM approval ofc).

In theory, I've covered most of my bases, but I can't find any appropriate head slot items. The closest I came was the Helm of Righteous War (CC p. 139), but obviously the secondary effects don't do anything for me (no cleric levels and the character isn't interested in becoming one).

So, does anyone have any ideas of what I could use for a head slot item? Price isn't really an issue since it's mostly out of interest rather than any intent of buying stuff soon and there's a chance the campaign goes to 20.

Thanks in advance

Elricaltovilla
2020-04-27, 04:56 PM
What's your level range and what books do you have access to for your campaign?

As far as general advice goes, warlords like headbands of charisma. They might be the boring choice, but they are oh so very useful.

Sepultra
2020-04-27, 05:31 PM
What's your level range and what books do you have access to for your campaign?

Just hitting 6 atm, but the campaign's real plot is also just starting.

As far as general advice goes, warlords like headbands of charisma. They might be the boring choice, but they are oh so very useful.
That's true, actually. Thing is that the DM is probably gonna be open to letting me use the MIC rules for adding enhancements onto items, so I've kind of overlooked that, but that's a good point. Thanks.

Still, am I just missing stuff or is there really not much in the way of fun head slot items that fit a Warlord?

In terms of books, we've got just about every 3.5e book plus PF core, Ultimate Equipment, and some other stuff (DM has been at this for God knows how long). If there's something online or that can be accessed by a PDF though then it's probably completely fine, too. Just need the stats and source to see if I can find it and give it to the DM.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-04-27, 05:37 PM
Circlet of Persuasion?
Hat of Disguise?
Hat of Anonymity (at a higher caster level and higher Nondetection DC) if MIC is opened up?

Sepultra
2020-04-27, 05:50 PM
Circlet of Persuasion?
Hat of Disguise?
Hat of Anonymity (at a higher caster level and higher Nondetection DC) if MIC is opened up?

Is a circlet not strictly worse for a Warlord than a headband of cha given that it doesn't actually boost cha - just skillchecks? I saw it and ruled it out because of that, hoenstly.

The hats are cool but I never felt they fitted the warrior flavour, always seemed better for rogues and sorcs. Definitely not something my char would wear.

Quentinas
2020-04-27, 06:44 PM
I don't know so much about a warlord , but an helm of glorious recovery ? From magic item compendium? Even a scout headband could be good if there isn't many ways to have these spells
From what i see the warlord seems the evolved form of the marshal (or somewhat similiar) so you could ask the DM if the helm of heroes could be adapted to your class

Troacctid
2020-04-27, 07:17 PM
I have a spreadsheet of useful items (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJRCphWkrtLm8Q6iD6_YPp00MggiAT556j9231uu5Lg/edit?usp=sharing) that might be of interest. You can filter it by slot.

In ascending order of price, I might look at: hat of disguise, crown of white ravens, scout's headband, shadowy diadem, helm of glorious recovery, watery hachimaki of the typhoon dragon, admiral's bicorne. Whatever you get, adding a Charisma bonus to it is a good idea.

Is a circlet not strictly worse for a Warlord than a headband of cha given that it doesn't actually boost cha - just skillchecks? I saw it and ruled it out because of that, hoenstly.
It's a lot cheaper than getting the same bonus from a headband of charisma, and it stacks, so it's usually pretty nice, especially if you're the party face. (It also applies to ability checks as well as skill checks, which is important for turning checks, as well as for spells like charm person and planar binding that use opposed Charisma checks to manipulate creatures—but that's probably not a big deal for a warlord.) If you're not the party face, you can skip it.

The hats are cool but I never felt they fitted the warrior flavour, always seemed better for rogues and sorcs. Definitely not something my char would wear.
You can do some fun things with a hat of disguise, though. One of my personal favorite tricks is to disguise myself as a medusa in order to trick enemies into averting their gaze.

Sepultra
2020-04-27, 07:47 PM
but an helm of glorious recovery ? From magic item compendium? Even a scout headband could be good
These are both great. Especially the Scout Headband. Thanks man.

From what i see the warlord seems the evolved form of the marshal (or somewhat similiar) so you could ask the DM if the helm of heroes could be adapted to your class
Where is the Helm of Heroes? I checked ToB but I can't find anything.

I have a spreadsheet of useful items (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJRCphWkrtLm8Q6iD6_YPp00MggiAT556j9231uu5Lg/edit?usp=sharing) that might be of interest. You can filter it by slot.

In ascending order of price, I might look at: hat of disguise, crown of white ravens, scout's headband, shadowy diadem, helm of glorious recovery, watery hachimaki of the typhoon dragon, admiral's bicorne. Whatever you get, adding a Charisma bonus to it is a good idea.
First, thanks for the link. This seems like it'll be great - only had a quick look.
I might see if I can refluff the Crown of White Ravens to fit with one of the PoW schools like Quentinas suggested with the Helm of Heroes.
The rest of these items seem really cool as well. Big fan of the Hachimaki and the Bicorne, honestly. They're really cool.
The circlet of persuasion stacking makes it really tempting, honestly.

Thanks a lot for this.

You can do some fun things with a hat of disguise, though. One of my personal favorite tricks is to disguise myself as a medusa in order to trick enemies into averting their gaze.
Also it's actually funny you mention this, because I saw an item the other day (Ring of the White Wyrm, Frostburn) and I've been wondering if the character would ever be interested in something like a polymorph. It's a cool idea, though. Will keep it in mind.

Quentinas
2020-04-28, 03:03 AM
The helm of heroes is from magic item compendium

Efrate
2020-04-28, 05:09 PM
Worth noting that in pathfinder headband and head are separate slots you can get your cha headband and still have a head slot. Helm of telepathy is always nice, especially with your teamwork feats to share so the enemy doesn't know what you are planning.

Elricaltovilla
2020-04-28, 05:19 PM
Worth noting that in pathfinder headband and head are separate slots you can get your cha headband and still have a head slot. Helm of telepathy is always nice, especially with your teamwork feats to share so the enemy doesn't know what you are planning.

Y'know I have a bad habit of forgetting that that's a thing in Pathfinder. I wonder, does the head slot fit over the Headband slot, or vice versa? Is it dependent on what items you wear?:smallconfused:

Psyren
2020-04-28, 06:53 PM
Y'know I have a bad habit of forgetting that that's a thing in Pathfinder. I wonder, does the head slot fit over the Headband slot, or vice versa? Is it dependent on what items you wear?:smallconfused:

As with all magic items that physically occupy the same slot, you can arrange them however you like. For example, the Body slot might go over your armor (a robe or duster) or under it (a bodywrap or corset).