PDA

View Full Version : What happens to an attack's other effects if damage is negated?

Phoenix042
2020-04-27, 10:47 AM
Looking for both raw and personal interpretations, but please clearly indicate which you're weighing in on.

I'm wondering what happens to an attack with extra effects (poison, grappled, or things like battlemaster maneuvers) if the attack hits, but all of the damage resulting directly from the attack is blocked somehow.

For example, if a poisoned dart does one piercing damage, but the target is a raging barbarian.
Or if a psi knight uses protective field and completely blocks all damage from a crocodile's bite.

I have a suspicion on what happens in each case, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something and I'd like to hear other opinions.

nickl_2000
2020-04-27, 10:54 AM
Battlemaster is easy. The pre-requisite is not doing damage it is hitting someone
"When you hit a creature with a weapon attack"'
So, negating the damage or not you did hit them. Secondary effect triggers.

This goes go any other time that it is based on hitting. You have hit them, you may not have damaged them, but you hit them.

Damon_Tor
2020-04-27, 11:14 AM
I rule differently based on what's supposed to be happening: rulings, not rules.

For example, a monk using deflect missiles is supposed to catch the arrow if he negates the damage entirely. But on the other hand, a werewolf's immunity to non-magic non-silvered weapons is a mechanical re-imagining of the regeneration they had in previous editions.

So even though in both cases a poisoned arrow that hits should deliver its poison by RAW even if all the damage is negated, I will allow the monk to avoid the poison while I would not allow the werewolf to do so.

For example, if a poisoned dart does one piercing damage, but the target is a raging barbarian.
Poison still applies. The damage resistance of a barbarian comes from pain-tolerance, so the poison would still get into the blood even if the barbarian feels no pain.

Or if a psi knight uses protective field and completely blocks all damage from a crocodile's bite.
Tougher call. The protective field is a telekinetic shield which pushes back against an incoming strike: if it negates the damage entirely it's possible to say it prevents the crocodile's teeth from piercing the flesh thus preventing the grapple from taking effect, and that's probably how I would rule it.

EggKookoo
2020-04-27, 12:17 PM
HP loss doesn't have to be physical injury. Conversely, you can be injured without suffering HP loss.

If a weapon hits, and you roll damage, and that damage is negated or blocked, you can still have the weapon cause a cut or whatever. It just didn't result in HP loss.

OnceIWasABard
2020-04-27, 02:54 PM
Most effects/abilities have riders attached that can help clarify this. For example, a BM's Disarming attack:

Disarming Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

It states 'on hit', as opposed to 'on damaging'. Even if the hit does no damage, you fulfilled the requirement of hitting, so the secondary effect still triggers.
Conversely, if an ability/effect were to say "upon damaging a creature with x, y occurs", fully preventing damage would stop the secondary effect. However, off the top of my head I can't think of anything that has wording like that.

Tougher call. The protective field is a telekinetic shield which pushes back against an incoming strike: if it negates the damage entirely it's possible to say it prevents the crocodile's teeth from piercing the flesh thus preventing the grapple from taking effect, and that's probably how I would rule it.

Counterpoint: just because the teeth didn't pierce flesh to do damage, the crocodile is still exerting force to keep you grabbed.

JackPhoenix
2020-04-27, 04:16 PM
"Injury poison can be applied to weapons, ammunition, trap components, and other objects that deal piercing or slashing damage and remains potent until delivered through a wound or washed off. A creature that takes piercing or slashing damage from an object coated with the poison is exposed to its effects."

No damage, no poison.

It was actually relevant in my recent game, when I realized a bunch of blowgun-armed goblins can't possibly harm the fighter with Heavy Armor Master. Well, at least the rogue helped herself to all remaining poison after the goblins were defeated.