PDA

View Full Version : 5e crafting of exotic weapons..

animewatcha
2020-04-27, 08:12 PM
We can see the double bladed scimitar of eberron as first 5e attempt at 'exotic weapon' that isn't magical and all that good stuff. My question lies in that what would be a suitable DC to craft an exotic weapon? Has almost stats as normal equivalent, but either adds a descriptor or expands crit range. Like 3 section staff. Has versatile, but use bonus action to add in that extra attack. Or Double bladed scimitar, add special quality enabling it ( if desireable ) usage of abilities as if it lacked the two-handed property ( usable by monk kensei ).

Garfunion
2020-04-27, 08:35 PM
While having exotic weapons would be interesting, The double bladed scimitar (the feat does allow you to do more with it but that’s a feat) isn’t a good example seeing as how it’s pretty much the same as someone duel-wielding two scimitars. Nunchucks are still a light club according to the monk weapon description, so I three-piece staff would still just be a staff.

So what would you want out of an exotic weapon before we make crafting rules.

Zhorn
2020-04-27, 11:40 PM
Then there's also the use of a DC for crafting. Very much into homebrew/houserule territory with that deviation from the crafting rules in the books.

Like Garfunion said, will need to know what you want the system to do first, then establish the mechanics of how it would work, and then figure out where exotic weapons fall into it.

animewatcha
2020-04-28, 03:49 PM
Slight alterations to main base weapons. Like monk kensei double scimitar, or sai - one handed piercer that in this system might grant advantage for disarming.

stoutstien
2020-04-29, 09:29 AM
Depends. How familiar is the crafter with the particular weapon in question or is there a reliable source of information like in the 13th warrior or schematics to follow?
Is it a novel idea like a maul with a gyroscope built in for unpredictable thus hard to block attacks. *I know this is not how physics works but it just sounded cool*

Either way I think the DC shouldn't be high. The challenge would be finding the schematics or the property materials.