PDA

View Full Version : How can you increase ability scores of constructs?

eyebreaker7
2020-04-28, 12:18 AM
How would it be possible to increase the physical ability scores for a golem or gargoyle or any other construct? Any ways other than Limited Wish, Miracle & Wish spells?
Can constructs and such benefit from stat boosting items like a belt of giant strength?

NontheistCleric
2020-04-28, 12:39 AM
How would it be possible to increase the physical ability scores for a golem or gargoyle or any other construct? Any ways other than Limited Wish, Miracle & Wish spells?
Can constructs and such benefit from stat boosting items like a belt of giant strength?

Items like the Belt of Giant Strength would indeed work. Any construct capable of reading could also potentially read one of the inherent bonus manuals/tomes, though that is similar to the Miracle/Wish method.

Also, gargoyles are monstrous humanoids, not constructs.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-28, 12:46 AM
Items like the Belt of Giant Strength would indeed work. Any construct capable of reading could also potentially read one of the inherent bonus manuals/tomes, though that is similar to the Miracle/Wish method.

Also, gargoyles are monstrous humanoids, not constructs.You'd have to use something akin to awaken construct or polymorph any object + awaken, or similar if the construct in question doesn't already have an Int score. You could also grant it its own spellcasting, or cast spells on it if it's not immune (or you can bypass magic immunity via supernatural abilities, etc). You could also do a magic jar or polymorph + mind switch ring-around-the-rosy game to put an intelligent creature's mind in its body, followed by reading such a tome.

There are ways and ways and ways. It all depends on the construct and your particular resources in how you want/need to get around any defenses it might have (if any).

Warforged, for example, work exactly like any other character for most purposes.

ViperMagnum357
2020-04-28, 05:52 PM
There is the Sacred Guardian Template from the Revised Bestiary of Krynn. Some people dislike it for only being licensed rather than printed by Wizards, though. The template is an acquired one you can add to existing Constructs that lack an Intelligence score, with a sidebar containing the details. +4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, +4 Cha and set Int to 10, becoming fully sentient. Boosts are not huge, but the Construct gets fast healing and a bunch of other goodies. Because of the wording, a creator of a golem or something similar gets to keep complete control over the now sentient construct, which opens up many possibilities.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-28, 07:35 PM
+4 Str, Dex, Wis, Cha and Int of 10What?

That is EXTREMELY poorly written. It's literally impossible to tell anything except (maybe?) you get +4 Str and an Int of 10, although it could be an Int of 10 + 4. And possibly a Str of 10 + 4 as well.

ZamielVanWeber
2020-04-28, 07:38 PM
What?

That is EXTREMELY poorly written. It's literally impossible to tell anything except (maybe?) you get +4 Str and an Int of 10, although it could be an Int of 10 + 4. And possibly a Str of 10 + 4 as well.

The book is extremely clear.
It is +4 to Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha and your Int is either 10 (if previously -) or increases by two if you had an Int score.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-04-28, 07:40 PM
The book is extremely clear.
It is +4 to Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha and your Int is either 10 (if previously -) or increases by two if you had an Int score.Thank you. I couldn't make heads or tails of the previous description.

FauxKnee
2020-04-28, 07:46 PM
Dragon Magazine 327 (pages 72-73) has an article on enhancements for constructs (can only be applied at the time of creation.) The real winner is the option that gives a construct an intelligence score. (It gets skills points, feats, and has the ability to think.)

ViperMagnum357
2020-04-28, 09:18 PM
Thank you. I couldn't make heads or tails of the previous description.

Sorry, I typed that up in a hurry. The book is clear; the opacity is all on me. :smalltongue:

Him
2020-04-28, 10:45 PM
The answer I posted to this in a different thread was golems are magical items, follow the rules for adding additional enchantments.

ixrisor
2020-04-30, 12:40 PM
The answer I posted to this in a different thread was golems are magical items, follow the rules for adding additional enchantments.

Golems aren’t magic items, they’re similar, but not the same. It’s possible that a magic item could be built into one, but that would be a DM consideration. As one of the people above me said, they can wear and use any magic items that are passive or have activations simple enough for a mindless creature to use.