PDA

View Full Version : Making an Adept Tier 4 with the Hexer PrC?

TalonOfAnathrax
2020-04-28, 09:53 AM
An Adept is a solid Tier 5 class, with access to a flavorful all-rounder spell list. In a low-magic campaign, they can be the party spellcaster (as long as Polymorph abuse isn't allowed to go too far). However, they might be a little too weak. They require good Feat choices to avoid being useless before level 4, and once their high-level spells come into play they struggle to find things to do on rounds in which they aren't casting spells. They're mostly just Knowledge-bots, or Heal skill users.

I'm assuming they can't craft everything, and that they can't just buy wands - because if you aren't playing a low-magic game, then why are you playing an Adept?

Therefore I've been struggling to balance the Adept when the rest of the party is picking Tier 4 classes by common agreement (Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter Archer, Halberd Fighter, Rogue focusing on traps and social-fu). How do you suggest I make Adept Tier 4?
I have been thinking of giving every Adept automatic entry to the Hexer PrC as soon as possible, regardless of prerequisites. Thoughts? The Hexer's gaze attack seems like a good way to make the adventuring day last longer at mid or high levels, and the bonus wizard spells add versatility (Teleport, Water Breathing, etc).

Gnaeus
2020-04-28, 10:11 AM
Adept is tier 4. In both the old and new tier systems. Ranked above both the ranger and the fighter (within .01 tier of ranger). Only slightly below scout. Look at level 8 where it is riding on its chimera skeleton with its troll skeleton blocking for it, shooting fiery bursts or firing 2 scorching rays/round while the familiar scouts. That’s not clearly weaker than a fighter with a halberd.

I’d use the Eberron variant where they get a domain.

Also, I dispute the assumption that they can’t craft. I’d be more likely to use an adept as a class balanced with low tier characters than in a “low magic campaign”. But if it IS a low magic campaign, the adept is comparatively better compared with the muggles. Because he is the ONLY source of powerful effects like healing, flight, and invisibility, aside from a few even more niche classes like truenamer, or the limited casting of paladins and rangers.

I’d say an Adept 8/Hexer X is probably tier 3. It seems comparable to a Duskblade, having less spells/day but a better list and better spells known mechanic, especially with Hexer handing it hits off the wizards best of list (see: lesser planar binding). And in the low magic environment you describe, hexes are permanent nearly unhealable debuffs.