PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good familiar/companion for a sorcerer

eyebreaker7
2020-04-28, 02:00 PM
I've look at the golems and they are just to big for dungeons. The homuculus seems to weak even if you improve it. What would make a good addition to a sorcerer for dungeoneering? I'd like something like a druid's animal companion in strength possibly. Something that can stick by me and protect me when needed and maybe help out in other ways. There are others in the party for sure but they are busy with their own combatants. Should I just get an improved homuculus and give it cleric levels? There's already a druid but no cleric for dealing with undead. But there is a paladin, rogue, fighter, druid & wolf companion, myself (sorcerer) and a monk. Maybe hire a fighter or cleric npc? We are all around level 8 if that matters? I'm kinda partial to the cleric class because of healing and I HATE zombies! Don't know why I just do.

Segev
2020-04-28, 02:02 PM
I've look at the golems and they are just to big for dungeons. The homuculus seems to weak even if you improve it. What would make a good addition to a sorcerer for dungeoneering? I'd like something like a druid's animal companion in strength possibly. Something that can stick by me and protect me when needed and maybe help out in other ways. There are others in the party for sure but they are busy with their own combatants. Should I just get an improved homuculus and give it cleric levels? There's already a druid but no cleric for dealing with undead. But there is a paladin, rogue, fighter, druid & wolf companion, myself (sorcerer) and a monk. Maybe hire a fighter or cleric npc? We are all around level 8 if that matters? I'm kinda partial to the cleric class because of healing and I HATE zombies! Don't know why I just do.

I suggest planar binding, and shopping for a nice outsider with abilities you think would be useful. Ghaele Eladrin in 3.5 are pretty awesome, as are Hound Archons. If you like undead, a few of those and a bone devil for flavor might work out.

eyebreaker7
2020-04-28, 02:38 PM
I suggest planar binding, and shopping for a nice outsider with abilities you think would be useful. Ghaele Eladrin in 3.5 are pretty awesome, as are Hound Archons. If you like undead, a few of those and a bone devil for flavor might work out.

Planar binding doesn't sound like something I'd try especially since it has a "time limit". Once you've done your task your free to go.
Where would I find starting prices for hireing an Eladrin or a Hound Archon or other such beings? This sounds more my style.
Don't like the idea of undead and especially not a devil for the same reason as above with Planar Binding. It's dangerous and I'm not evil. Don't think the paladin would like it too much either :tongue:

Segev
2020-04-28, 02:43 PM
Planar binding doesn't sound like something I'd try especially since it has a "time limit". Once you've done your task your free to go.
Where would I find starting prices for hireing an Eladrin or a Hound Archon or other such beings? This sounds more my style.
Don't like the idea of undead and especially not a devil for the same reason as above with Planar Binding. It's dangerous and I'm not evil. Don't think the paladin would like it too much either :tongue:

You can give tasks without definite end points (i.e. that the creature can't bring to an end with its own efforts); they keep the creature bound for 1 day/CL. If you want prices for hiring, look to planar ally. Nothing stops you from calling something up with planar binding and just offering it a job, letting it go if it turns you down. Though planar binding itself gives prices for increasing your chances of winning the binding check; this is essentially bribing the creature into accepting. The binding check is as much convincing it to accept your terms as it is anything else. Making your terms more agreeable to it makes it more likely to agree.

You could also get bits of creatures you fought that you like the look of as potential companions and use them to make simulacrum servants.

Vizzerdrix
2020-04-28, 02:45 PM
Familiars make poor combatants without investing lots of resources. If size is an issue, look at the effigy creature. Make a half dragon robo bear or octopus.

eyebreaker7
2020-04-28, 03:25 PM
Ghaele Eladrin are to powerful for me. Right now at least. I can try a Hound Archon though. They look really nice and the Paladin would be ok with it right? Or would she say it's wrong to bind the Archon even with the offer of gifts or whatever.

Segev
2020-04-28, 03:26 PM
Ghaele Eladrin are to powerful for me. Right now at least. I can try a Hound Archon though. They look really nice and the Paladin would be ok with it right? Or would she say it's wrong to bind the Archon even with the offer of gifts or whatever.

That's between you, the paladin, and the DM. I figure if the hound archon is okay with it, there's probably no reason for anybody else to take umbrage. You're not compelling it if you actually give it the choice to leave after making your offer.

eyebreaker7
2020-04-28, 03:56 PM
You're not compelling it if you actually give it the choice to leave after making your offer.
Good point.
Now for some suggestions:
1: Should I make him a ranger (favored class for them) or a cleric? I'm thinking the cleric would fit better. I'm thinking of shooting for Shining Blade of Heironeous prestige class with time.

2: Would he be a level 1 ranger (or cleric) or would I have to wait for him to level up to get 1st level. The level adjustment is a +5 but he has 6 HD. I've asked the DM and he we both think the Archon would be a 6 HD creature but 1 of those HD would be his 1st level of class experience. Or are we looking at it wrong? We're both kinda new to special races like this. *Nevermind. "A hound archon begins with six levels of outsider". Sorry overlooked that

3: What would be "propper" offerings for "service"? Surely he doesn't need just gold.

4: Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects. How would he telport with armor and gear?

5: Heironeous's domains are Good, Law, & War. Any of them I should definitely take over the others? If so why?

Falontani
2020-04-29, 01:34 AM
If you want a Homunculous then look at Eberron Campaign Setting's Iron Defender and Magic of Eberron's Improved Homunculous feat. However these two are for Artificers specifically, so you would need to talk to your DM about this. Other good choices for a sorcerer of 8th level include:
Celestial Familiar: (Book of Exalted Deeds)
Coure Eladrin (arcane caster level 7) [Chaotic Good]: This tiny elf looking creature has the ability to use wands if you have the Use Magic Device skill, and has Magic Missiles 3/day. However combat wise, without loading up with wands, this creature is not powerful. It's main shtick is the continuous Magic Circle Against Evil that it radiates, which will help out.
Lantern Archon (arcane caster level 7) [Lawful Good]: This tiny ball of light has a pair of ranged light ray attacks that deal 1d6 damage (ignoring DR of all kinds). It against isn't powerful in combat, without even the ability to use wands, but it can Greater Teleport and can carry 50 lbs of weight whenever it does so, allowing it to leave a dungeon, purchase some stuff, and come back. Fairly useful.
Musteval Guardinal (arcane caster level 7) [Neutral Good]: This tiny creature is much like the Coure Eladrin, able to use wands, and has magic missiles at will. However it does not have the magic circle, so is weaker, and can't fly. Depends on how much you want to use the magic missiles.

Improved Familiar: (Complete Warrior)
Blink Dog (arcane caster level 5, and BAB +5, means you can't get this guy until level 10, probably) [Lawful Good]: Medium Sized so it can enter dungeons with you. Continuous Blink, that it can activate and deactivate means creatures targeting it have a 50% miss chance against it, once per round free action dimension door allows it to either teleport to an enemy, or teleport away from an enemy, or you know just teleport as it sees fit. This guys is fairly weak as a straight combatant, but with the right gear and buffs can do fairly well. It's main use as a familiar would be it's teleportation ability and the ability to deliver touch attacks.
Gauntlet Guardian (arcane caster level 9, Craft Construct, 20k GP) [Mindless]: Alright! This guy is weird. It gains several different familiar benefits, including the big one; it's HD equals your level. Always. With DR 5/-, higher than normal hit points, and fast healing it is fairly bulky for a familiar. It starts with a 20 str as a small creature which is pretty good. Check with your DM if it will go up in size automagically. But the icing on the cake with this guy is that it has spell storing. You can cast any second level spell into it, and command it (as a free action) to cast the spell whenever you want. You could have the druid or cleric cast a spell into it, or use a wand, etc.
Blade Guardian (arcane caster level 11, Craft Construct, 30k GP) [Mindless]: Same as the Gauntlet Guardian but all around more powerful. Instead of punching things it now has saws for hands.... ok it doesn't do that much more damage. It is larger than the Gauntlet Guardian, has a nice buff while it is near you, and instead of spell storing level 2... it has spell storing level 3!

Good point.
Now for some suggestions:
1: Should I make him a ranger (favored class for them) or a cleric? I'm thinking the cleric would fit better. I'm thinking of shooting for Shining Blade of Heironeous prestige class with time.

Cleric would work, however I would suggest: Ranger 1/Divine Crusader 1/Shining Blade of Heironeous

2: Would he be a level 1 ranger (or cleric) or would I have to wait for him to level up to get 1st level. The level adjustment is a +5 but he has 6 HD. I've asked the DM and he we both think the Archon would be a 6 HD creature but 1 of those HD would be his 1st level of class experience. Or are we looking at it wrong? We're both kinda new to special races like this. *Nevermind. "A hound archon begins with six levels of outsider". Sorry overlooked that

A Hound Archon is effectively an 11th level character. He would have the 6 levels of outsider, and count as an 11th level character for xp purposes. When he leveled he could take his first level.

3: What would be "propper" offerings for "service"? Surely he doesn't need just gold.

Not just gold; you can offer him the chance to travel the material plane and slay evil, you could offer him a Relic (perhaps of heironious), or even give him a quest that he would feel duty bound to do (akin to taking an evil ring to a specific volcano to destroy it)

4: Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects. How would he teleport with armor and gear?

He would have to have less than 50 lbs of armor/gear. Longsword is 4 lbs, Heavy shield is 10-15 lbs, mithril breastplate is 15 lbs, putting you at 34 lbs max for normal use equipment. Handy Haversack pushes this to 39 lbs, giving him 11 lbs to play with outside of his handy haversack.

5: Heironeous's domains are Good, Law, & War. Any of them I should definitely take over the others? If so why?

Heironeous' domains include: Courage, Destiny, Glory, Good, Inquisition, Law, Nobility, Pride, Wrath, Temperance, War, Zeal; several of those are only in dragon magazine however. I would suggest Glory or Inquisition domains, however you could choose the War domain and go Ordained Champion.

responses are in colors above

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-04-29, 03:00 AM
Improved Familiar for a Warg or similar will give you a decent combatant and mount; since it's intelligent you don't actually need any ranks in Ride, if I'm recalling the rules from Arms & Equipment Guide correctly.

Him
2020-04-29, 05:18 AM
Improved Familiar for a Warg or similar will give you a decent combatant and mount; since it's intelligent you don't actually need any ranks in Ride, if I'm recalling the rules from Arms & Equipment Guide correctly.
Agreed, wolverine, worg or hippogriffon (But hippogriff would go against your size constraints, but my fighter mages preferred choice).

But what about from 4 hour post in your dwarf golem thread*cries at inhumanity of it all*

Or was that the problem?