PDA

View Full Version : A little campaign help...

Tyger
2007-10-25, 08:57 AM
For an upcoming chapter in my campaign, I need the following. If you are playing in Blood Red Sea, please don't read this.

A new player is being introduced, via a bit of an unusual manner. He has been taken captive (during a moment of weakness / unconsciousness) by an Awakened Golem (stone most likely) that has installed him in the Golem's previous master's tower. The Golem has determined that mortal arcane casters are too frail and to dangerous to be allowed to roam free. He has installed the character (a human wizard) in a room which prevents and nullifies all magic within, a la an Anti-Magic Field. No magic spells or effects can be used inside the room, nor can any magic effects be used outside teh room and have an effect inside it. I.e. no Baleful Transpositioning the mage out, no blasting the walls apart with a fireball, no escape via magic at all. The wizard's effects (including spell book) are kept seperate from this room, and the golem is caring quite well for him, but will not allow him to leave the room. Door is barred and locked from the other side when the golem has to leave for any reason. The room does have windows, but they are too narrow to serve as an escape method, so the wizard can call for help to passerbys. However the tower is in the middle of a jungle, on a semi-deserted island.

Our intrepid party, which includes two arcane casters, will be happening upon the tower at the opening of our next game. With luck, they'll respond to the wizard's pleas for assistance.

How can one create that room, using existing spells and magics rather than DM fiat?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-25, 09:18 AM
Permanenced, Mastery of Shaping'ed antimagic field, or A Nullstone built building will work.

kamikasei
2007-10-25, 09:23 AM
Question the first and most obvious: how did the golem construct this room, or why did his former master have it around?

mostlyharmful
2007-10-25, 09:24 AM
Or a custem homebrewed spell of the previous owner. AMF would seem the best bet with the golem completely immune to it. Maybe a greater dispelling trap built into the room to counterspell any and all magic without the password, which would make sense for a wizard to build into his tower.

Tyger
2007-10-25, 09:40 AM
Question the first and most obvious: how did the golem construct this room, or why did his former master have it around?

As I should have noted above, the room was not constructed by the golem, it was there previous. The "master" has long since died (golem's been in the area a very long time).

As for why the wizard would want a room like that... a thousand possible answers spring to mind. The most obvious would be containment... whether of dangerous magical items, dangerous magical creatures, etc. Want to have a nice long chat with a demon without it killing you? Have said chat in a room like this. No escape for the demon, and plenty of incentive for it to answer your questions, or you could leave it there forever.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-10-25, 09:43 AM
Or a custem homebrewed spell of the previous owner. AMF would seem the best bet with the golem completely immune to it.

AMF doesn't affect Golems anyway.

Tyger
2007-10-25, 09:45 AM
Permanenced, Mastery of Shaping'ed antimagic field, or A Nullstone built building will work.

The first is not an option, as AMF is not listed for the Permanancy spell availability, and though I am the DM, I am trying to find a RAW way to do it, prior to resorting to good old, Cuz I said so! :)

This "Nullstone" though... where can I find that?

Jayabalard
2007-10-25, 09:46 AM
Want to have a nice long chat with a demon without it killing you? Have said chat in a room like this. No escape for the demon, and plenty of incentive for it to answer your questions, or you could leave it there forever.That sounds like a horrible idea...

demons would still be quite able to rip the wizard limb from limb in a room like that.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-10-25, 09:55 AM
That sounds like a horrible idea...

demons would still be quite able to rip the wizard limb from limb in a room like that.

Not if it's in a cage built strongly enough to hold it. A set of dimensional shackles would be enough to stop it physically attacking the wizard or teleporting away- but unless it's in an anti-magic field it can still use magic on
him. An anti-magic field prevents that.

It's also useful for keeping captured spellcasters- although they again would have to be caged or shackled to stop them attacking the wizard by mundane means- or dangerous magic items.

Tyger
2007-10-25, 10:00 AM
That sounds like a horrible idea...

Not if you are on the other side of a barred door, or if the demon is quite handily bound, or if your pet Golem has a grip on it in addition to the above.

Plus, Demons aren't stupid. "Kill me and you are trapped her for eternity" does have a bit of swaying power. :smallcool:

blacksabre
2007-10-25, 10:10 AM
Am I wrong in assuming a magically created construct (golem) would cease to function in an anti-magic room?

Tyger
2007-10-25, 10:13 AM
Am I wrong in assuming a magically created construct (golem) would cease to function in an anti-magic room?

Golems are not effected by Anti-Magic Field, which is the basis I am trying to work from. So yes, you are wrong. But only if one accepts the premise that the room uses AMF as its base. Other constructions may well make it a different answer. But if that is the case, the golem need never actually enter the room. So there's no concern there.

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 01:55 PM
The question is, what do you consider "DM Fiat"?

Anyway, my first thought is that the "door" to the room is actually a portal to a demiplane with the dead magic trait. IIRC, the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has pricing for such portals. I don't remember its exact capabilities except that it allows planar travel, and I can't check the book right now.

Tyger
2007-10-25, 02:02 PM
The question is, what do you consider "DM Fiat"?

Well, in general I try to avoid doing something that quite simply can't be done by the rules. Unless its a huge part of the game, and then I'll make a houserule to accomplish it, but then I let the players know what that rule is. Of course, good story takes primacy over rules any day, but when I can, I like to stay within the rules.

Anyway, my first thought is that the "door" to the room is actually a portal to a demiplane with the dead magic trait. IIRC, the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has pricing for such portals. I don't remember its exact capabilities except that it allows planar travel, and I can't check the book right now.

I like this, though it would preclude the captive wizard from being able to call for help through the windows, thus potentially alerting our heroes to their possible plight and his own captivity. I am kind of enviosioning them likely bargaining with him to free him... they're that kind of group. :smallwink:

Jasdoif
2007-10-25, 02:15 PM
I like this, though it would preclude the captive wizard from being able to call for help through the windows, thus potentially alerting our heroes to their possible plight and his own captivity. I am kind of enviosioning them likely bargaining with him to free him... they're that kind of group. :smallwink:OK then...this one is a bit more of a stretch, but say it's a localized planar disturbance on the Material Plane, that has the dead magic trait. Would also help explain why the tower is there, as opposed to somewhere else: The tower was built to make use of it.

It's noted that specific locations can have planar traits that are different then the surrounding plane, so this isn't totally without precedent....

TimeWizard
2007-10-25, 09:28 PM
Why contingency a talking mouth or use sending or some such spell to shout for help in case of danger?

Tyger
2007-10-26, 05:37 AM
Why contingency a talking mouth or use sending or some such spell to shout for help in case of danger?

Unsure how this is relevant. If you read the above, its not possible.