PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Psicrystals and Sense Link

Segev
2020-04-28, 03:19 PM
I'd been toying with uses of a psicrystal for a youth in a street gang who tried to contribute to his roguish compatriots' exploits with his psychic powers, and one of the things I'd thought myself clever for coming up with was using sense link (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/sense-link/) to not need to operate on second-hand telepathic reports but just to see what the psicrystal's Sighted power shows it directly when the little guy is out scouting. I was even considering solicit psicrystal to let him have the psicrystal maintain that for him at higher levels, so he could do other things while enjoying the Sighted advantages.

The 1 round/level shorter duration of solicit psicrystal is disappointing, and initially got me thinking along the lines of finding a way to get the psicrystal itself the power to manifest sense link augmented to 3 pp to impose its senses on others, since that'd let the psicrystal do the concentrating without any further power activation and at the full normal duration.

Unfortunately, while I was poking around trying to figure out how to do that, I discovered that it's even more necessary for such a stunt to work than previously thought: sense link is a mind-affecting power, to which a psicrystal, as a construct, is immune! So psions cannot manifest it on their little buddies! It also can't be made a Network power even with the metapsionic feat, so that's out. Using Share Powers doesn't work, because that doesn't bypass the immunity to mind-affecting.

This is probably intentional, and, if not, is not something I think the designers would say is a problem. Sighted is a powerful ability, mitigated by the fact that it is second-hand information when a psicrystal shares it with their partner.

However, IS there any way to get a psicrystal the use of sense link as a power augmented to 3rd level (specifically so it can share its senses, rather than borrowing the target's)? Remembering that, in Pathfinder, they don't get HD equal to their master's manifester level, so most "pick up these feats" shenanigans won't likely work. At least, not if the psicrystal is to have the feats.

Is there any other way to borrow the psicrystal's senses? The Implanted Psicrystal from Psionics Augmented can do it for a limited amount of time per day, so there's that. Any others?

Kris Moonhand
2020-04-28, 06:40 PM
If you have the Spirit of Many ability (2nd level of Vitalist, Tactician, and some ATs for other classes that grant a collective), it allows you to remove the mind-affecting descriptor from your powers.

Speaking of, so long as you have a collective, you can use a Tactician's Chessboard (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Tactician%E2%80%99s_Chessboard) to see through the eyes of your collective members.

Implanted Psicrystal does allow you to see through the psicrystal, yes. However, since it's an Implanted Psicrystal, you can't really use it for scouting.

Segev
2020-04-28, 07:41 PM
If you have the Spirit of Many ability (2nd level of Vitalist, Tactician, and some ATs for other classes that grant a collective), it allows you to remove the mind-affecting descriptor from your powers.

Speaking of, so long as you have a collective, you can use a Tactician's Chessboard (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Tactician%E2%80%99s_Chessboard) to see through the eyes of your collective members.

Implanted Psicrystal does allow you to see through the psicrystal, yes. However, since it's an Implanted Psicrystal, you can't really use it for scouting.

I hadn't heard of the chessboard; that's pretty neat. The Spirit of Many only strips mind-affecting from Network powers. Sense Link isn't one, and can't be made one by the metapsionic feat, sadly.

Kris Moonhand
2020-04-28, 10:22 PM
I hadn't heard of the chessboard; that's pretty neat. The Spirit of Many only strips mind-affecting from Network powers. Sense Link isn't one, and can't be made one by the metapsionic feat, sadly.
Ah yeah, you're right, at least for sense link specifically (Shared Power (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Shared_Power) and Network Power (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Network_Power) both allow granting a power the [network] descriptor if they're touch or personal, respectively), though a Cherished Highlord (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Cherished) can make any of their powers [network] at level 1 with their Cherished's Gift ability.

Feantar
2020-04-28, 10:26 PM
Does pathfinder remove the ability to lower an immunity willingly? If not, then just get the psycrystal to lower it. It isn't mindless, so it doesn't seem unreasonable...

Segev
2020-04-29, 11:43 AM
Does pathfinder remove the ability to lower an immunity willingly? If not, then just get the psycrystal to lower it. It isn't mindless, so it doesn't seem unreasonable...

I honestly don't know, but since the Share Powers thing says that it doesn't work on powers that can't work on it due to its type (construct), and all the "can't work on its type" things are basically "immunities," I doubt it can. Even if it were technically in the RAW, that one is iffy enough that I'd have to ask a DM how he ran it, because assuming a DM goes with RAW that seem that far into "well, technically..." territory is never a safe bet. Still, definitely worth asking a DM about. And solves part of the problem, if so. Though not all of it: the other reason to want a psicrystal to be the manifester is so it's maintaining the concentration. Now, when you have it scouting, you probably want to be the one Concentrating so it can double move and/or hide as an action, but it's also useful when it's on your person (though the Implanted one can share that with you for some time, at least, then).

There IS the option of handing it a Power Stone of sense link. It would have to use your ranks of Use Magic Device, and its +0 Cha mod to do it, but it's a possibility. I think one augmented to 3rd level is still a 1st level power, so 1 x 3 x 25 = 75 gp market value. 37.5 gp craft price. A bit pricey at level 3, but not insurmountable if used somewhat sparingly.