PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Couatlfolk (race)

rferries
2020-04-28, 06:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HJZ8T5n.png
Couatlfolk
Physical Description: Couatlfolk are essentially winged serpents. Their scales and plumage are generally brightly multicoloured like those of tropical serpents and avians, but may be of virtually any hue or shade. A close inspection of even the purest white or darkest black couatlfolk always reveals at least a sheen of iridescence.

Society: Couatlfolk are a noble and harmonious race. Their societies prize altruism, diplomacy, philosophy, and magical ability above all else.

Relations: Couatlfolk get along well with other races accustomed to (or at least willing to overlook) their supernatural natures.

Alignment and Religion: Couatlfolk are strongly aligned towards both Good and Law, and worship deities of light and healing. Exceptions are exceedingly rare, and evil individuals are dealt with harshly - couatlfolk are more forgiving of evil in other races than in their own.

Adventurers: Couatlfolk have a natural inclination towards sorcery and divine spellcasting classes, but sometimes hone their animalistic fighting techniques as paladins, rangers, monks, or other martial classes.

Couatlfolk Racial Traits
+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: Couatlfolk are as charming, graceful, and clever as a serpent.

Native Outsider: Couatlfolk are outsiders with the [Native] subtype. They can be raised, resurrected, and reincarnated as if they were mortals, and must breathe, eat, and sleep.

Normal Speed (Ex): Couatlfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.

Bonus Feat (Ex): A couatlfolk gains a bonus feat at first level. This feat must be Eschew Material Components or any feat listed under Couatlfolk Feats (see below) for which they meet the prerequisites.

Darkvision (Ex): Couatlfolk possess darkvision out to 60 feet.

Glide (Ex): A falling couatlfolk (or one that deliberately leaps from a high place) may instead choose to fly at a speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability. They may not ascend while flying in this way and must descend at least 5 feet for each round of flight.

Morphology (Ex): A couatlfolk's unusual body type presents several unique challenges.

A couatlfolk lacks arms or legs, and cannot wear magic items requiring those limbs. It may wear a single magic ring on the end of its tail. A couatlfolk need not have a free hand to cast spells.

A couatlfolk wields weapons and manipulates objects primarily through the use of its tail. It may wield a single weapon with its tail as if it were a humanoid using both hands (this allows it to wield two-handed weapons).

Armor a couatlfolk wears must be custom-made for their race (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures) (and for their size, if have have grown beyond Medium size). At the DM's option, a couatlfolk might be permitted to wield a mouthpick weaponLM.
LMLords of Madness.

Natural Attacks (Ex): Couatlfolk gain a bite attack as a primary natural attack (or as a secondary natural attack, if the creature is wielding a weapon with its tail). The damage is based on the creature’s size (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules/#Table_Natural_Attacks_by_Size) (1d6 for a Medium couatlfolk).

Natural Armour (Ex): A couatlfolk has a +1 natural armour bonus.

Favoured Class: Sorcerer.

Languages: Couatlfolk begin play speaking Common and Celestial. Bonus Languages: Auran, Draconic, Elven, Gnome, and Sylvan.

Level Adjustment: +1.

Couatlfolk Feats
In addition to the feats given below, couatlfolk may benefit from other monstrous feats (particularly the Grab, Multigrab, Spit Venom, etc feats from Serpent Kingdoms).

Change Shape
You can assume mortal form.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, character level 3rd.

Benefits
You gain the Change Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape) special quality. You may use it to assume the form of a single Small or Medium humanoid (of a precise appearance chosen when you select this feat, and not duplicating the appearance of a specific creature).

Special
You gain the [Shapechanger] subtype.

Your alternate form is as distinctive as your base form (e.g. it can be recognized by your enemies if encountered more than once, clever foes may notice minor cosmetic similarities between your true and assumed forms, etc).

You may select this feat more than once, choosing a new alternate form each time.

Couatl Sorcery
Your magic draws upon the divine as well as the arcane.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, sorcerer level 1st, lawful good alignment.

Benefits
Diplomacy, Knowledge (religion), and Sense Motive are always treated as sorcerer class skills for you (regain one skill point for each cross-class rank you have invested in those skills when you select this feat).

You may choose your sorcerer spells known from the Air, Good, and Law domains. These spells are considered arcane spells for you, meaning that you do not need a divine focus to cast them.

Special
While you are any alignment other than lawful good, you cannot cast any spell you learned via this feat.

Greater Couatl Sorcery
You have mastered divine magic.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, Couatl Sorcery, sorcerer level 3rd, lawful good alignment.

Benefits
You may choose your sorcerer spells known from the cleric list. These spells are considered arcane spells for you, meaning that you do not need a divine focus to cast them.

Special
While you are any alignment other than lawful good, you cannot cast any spell you learned via this feat.

Growth [Fighter]
You have grown into a Large serpent.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, character level 9th.

Benefits
You increase (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) to Large size.

Special
A fighter may select Growth as a bonus fighter feat.

Improved Grab [Fighter]
You can seize and grapple foes with ease.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +1.

Benefits
You gain the Improved Grab special attack for all your natural weapons (including unarmed strikes). Whenever you hit an opponent with a natural weapon, you can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If you win the grapple check, you establish a hold and can constrict and/or rake (if you possess those special attacks).

Special
You may benefit from this feat while grappling a creature regardless of your relative sizes.

This feat replaces Improved Grapple.

A fighter may select Improved Grab as a bonus fighter feat.

Constrict [Fighter]
Your grapples crush your foes.

Prerequisites
Improved Grab.

Benefits
You deal double damage on a successful grapple check with a natural weapon (including unarmed strikes).

Special
A fighter may select Constrict as a bonus fighter feat.

Monstrous Martial [Fighter]
You may wield your natural attack like a blade.

Prerequisites
At least one natural weapon.

Benefits
Choose one of your natural weapons. You attack with that weapon as though it were a manufactured weapon (e.g. you may make iterative attacks with that weapon during a full attack, it may benefit from Two-Weapon Fighting/Multiweapon Fighting, and so forth).

Special
If you possess multiple natural weapons of the same type (e.g. two claws), the benefits of this feat apply to only one of them.

You may select this feat more than once, choosing a different weapon each time.

A fighter may select Monstrous Martial as a bonus fighter feat.

Rainbow Serpent [Fighter]
Your gleaming scales and plumage are as hard as armour.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, character level 6th.

Benefit
Your natural armour bonus increases to one-third your character level.

Special
A fighter may select Rainbow Serpent as a bonus fighter feat.

Tail Slap [Fighter]
Your tail can lash foes.

Prerequisites
Tail.

Benefit
You gain a tail slap as a secondary natural attack. Your tail deals damage based on your size (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules/#Table_Natural_Attacks_by_Size) (1d6 for a Medium couatlfolk).

Special
A fighter may select Tail Slap as a bonus fighter feat.

Venom [Fighter]
Your natural weapons inject a virulent poison.

Prerequisites
Bite natural weapon.

Benefits
Your bite attack inflicts a poison that deals initial and secondary ability damage equal to the base weapon damage, according to your size (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules/#Table_Natural_Attacks_by_Size). The damage is Constitution, Dexterity, or Strength damage, chosen when you select this feat. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Constitution modifier) negates the damage each time.

Special
A fighter may select Venom as a bonus fighter feat.

You may select this feat more than once, each time selecting an additional type of ability damage to deal with your poison (either the same type or a new one). The effects stack.

If you become undead, the saving throw against your poison is Charisma-based instead of Constitution-based.

Windborne Serpent [Fighter]
You have mastered the skies.

Prerequisites
Couatlfolk, character level 6th.

Benefit
You gain a fly speed of 60 ft. with good manoeuvrability.

Special
A fighter may select Windborne Serpent as a bonus fighter feat.

rferries
2020-04-28, 06:43 PM
One of my favourite monsters, now as a PC race.

To Do:
-If overpowered, change type to magical beast/fey/aberration to remove weapon proficiencies, +/- add "Mortal" subtype (limiting alter self shenanigans to humanoid forms, rendering susceptible to charm person etc.)
-Didn't give ethereal jaunt, telepathy, psionics, UMD etc and should probably discard the Growth feats

nonsi
2020-05-01, 04:49 AM
Just got around to give this a look.
So far it seems awesome. I'll dive deeper to see if there's anything to comment about.

On the RP side, how does such a character function as part of a party of bipedal characters at levels 1 and 2?
I mean, serpents are not exactly commonly encountered adventuring colleagues.
And doesn't it kinda shoehorn all Couatlfolk to take Change Shape off the bat?

rferries
2020-05-01, 08:14 AM
Just got around to give this a look.
So far it seems awesome. I'll dive deeper to see if there's anything to comment about.

On the RP side, how does such a character function as part of a party of bipedal characters at levels 1 and 2?
I mean, serpents are not exactly commonly encountered adventuring colleagues.
And doesn't it kinda shoehorn all Couatlfolk to take Change Shape off the bat?

Many thanks!

Yeah, they're kind of restricted to either a) high-magic campaigns or b) campaigns with tropical settings. I suppose the PC could also be an expat that goes around constantly swaddled in a robe or even hiding in a backpack haha.

Change Shape would definitely be a top pick for roleplay purposes or martials who want to branch out to dual-wielding (or even just to use a shield or non-custom-made armour).

nonsi
2020-05-01, 08:23 AM
The name “Couatlfolk” irks the eye for two reasons:
1. You don’t call other characters “Humanfolk” or Elffolk”.
2. Everytime I look at that name, my brain says “Catfolk” :smallbiggrin:

I’d give them 1d4 natural attack damage. They’re serpents, not Commodo Dragons.
OTOH, I’d give them poison off the bat (targeting one ability score), usable:
- 1/day at 1st level.
- 3/day at 3rd, with 1 hour gap or more in between.
- 1/hour at 6th.
- Limitless at 9th.

The up side is that bite attack should be useable while constricting. Same goes for Tail Slap, but not vs. the target that you’re currently constricting.

I’d make Rainbow Serpent an inherent racial trait.
Reason: you can forget about finding appropriate armor in treasure, and making a level-appropriate one is not gonna be easy or as effective.

I’d tag Change Shape as “this feat may be taken multiple time. Choose a different race every time you take it”.
It will have next to zero effect power-wise, but it’s a good tool if you “burn yourself out” somewhere (could be great for rogues).

>> (“e.g. it can be recognized by your enemies . . .”

You mean i.e., I’m guessing.

>> You may choose your sorcerer spells known from the Air, Good, and Law domains.
>> These spells are considered arcane spells for you, meaning that you do not need a divine focus to cast them.

You mean Cleric, I’m guessing.
Perhapse this should also mean that the “Sorcerer level 1st" prereq should have an alternative “Cleric level 1st”

Actually, I’d merge Greater Couatl Sorcery into its prereq. Feat (the benefits are not OP and being LG is a significant break on the power meter).
The restriction should be that they must have access to the corresponding SL on the other side (arcane vs. divine).

For Greater Couatl Sorcery, I’d say that they may cast any divine spell as arcane spell, provided that they have access to that level of arcane spells.
And vice versa.

Motivation for the above: This race has Mystic Theurge written all over it.

I have a certain problem with Growth: the idea that you suddenly increase in mass 8 fold seems too much.
I think that for verisimilitude’s sake, you should demand 3 levels heads up on this feat, so the character’s growth could be explained as something that takes place gradually. Alternatively, you could say that the feat only kicks in after 2 more levels are gained.
If you don’t go for my idea, at least up the prereqs on both feats.

With your permission, I’m stealing Monstrous Martial. This one’s long overdue.

Change the name “Winged Serpent” to “Airborne Serpent”. Couatls are winged serpents off the bat.

If you remove the ability to use the tail for wielding weapons, you should give them some means of self-enhancement.

A few more questions that came to mind:
1. Aren’t they significantly less powerful in mortal form, especially if they take certain Couatl feats?
2. How do they handle material components for spells in their natural form? If at all.
3. What about reproduction and aging? How does that go?

p.s. awesome pic BTW. By far the best I’ve ever seen to describe a couatl :cool:
I’d make the head a bit larger, but that’s just me nitpicking.

DeTess
2020-05-01, 08:33 AM
If this is for dnd 3.5, you're going to have to cut those stat boosts, add some penalties, or bake some of those feats into the chassis, but give it an LA, as right now it's a couple of steps above the LA+0 races. I don't believe the inability to use certain magical item slots is a good balancing lever here, as it's not going to matter at all in some games, and will be crippling in others.

That having been said, I do really like the flavor on this one.

nonsi
2020-05-01, 10:28 AM
If this is for dnd 3.5, you're going to have to cut those stat boosts, add some penalties, or bake some of those feats into the chassis, but give it an LA, as right now it's a couple of steps above the LA+0 races. I don't believe the inability to use certain magical item slots is a good balancing lever here, as it's not going to matter at all in some games, and will be crippling in others.

Not sure about that.

Darkvision, Glide and an extra automatic language is hardly unbalanced.
Their high ability scores are offset by the race being very limited with everything that has to do with gear without burning a feat on it (which makes them susceptible top things that target shapechangers).
Native outsider: They're resistant to 3 spells in the game: Charm Person, Hold Person, Dominate Person. That will come to play maybe twice in the character's existence.

nonsi
2020-05-01, 10:32 AM
I suppose the PC could also be an expat that goes around constantly swaddled in a robe . . .

Kinda reminds me of your pumpkin sorcerer :biggrin:

DeTess
2020-05-01, 12:13 PM
Not sure about that.

Darkvision, Glide and an extra automatic language is hardly unbalanced.
Their high ability scores are offset by the race being very limited with everything that has to do with gear without burning a feat on it (which makes them susceptible top things that target shapechangers).
Native outsider: They're resistant to 3 spells in the game: Charm Person, Hold Person, Dominate Person. That will come to play maybe twice in the character's existence.

I've already said that I think that limiting their ability to use gear beyond needing custom sizes is either irrelevant or crippling, and probably isn't a good way to try and balance the race. I agree that, ignoring their racial ability score bonuses, nothing they have is particularly unbalancing. However, getting a +4 ability bonus on top of that (remember, standard LA+0 races get a net +0) is a bit too much.

nonsi
2020-05-01, 01:03 PM
I've already said that I think that limiting their ability to use gear beyond needing custom sizes is either irrelevant or crippling, and probably isn't a good way to try and balance the race. I agree that, ignoring their racial ability score bonuses, nothing they have is particularly unbalancing. However, getting a +4 ability bonus on top of that (remember, standard LA+0 races get a net +0) is a bit too much.

"Irrelevant" requires explanation.

I believe that it's a common agreement that "The Big Five" are: Archivist, Wizard, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer. in that order.
The first two are barred for this race for at least 3 levels and one feat. Using books (especially writing in them) is highly problematic w/o hands.
The next two don't especially benefit - compared to other classes - from high Cha (except for Turn Undead ability).
And even as sorc./cleric/druid - what about spells that require material components?

Regarding the latter:
Couatl is not the only race with LA +0 that has high Cha.
Its natural attack can't even compete with level appropriate daggers and staffs randomly found in treasure starting at 5th level, so it's trailing the common sorc. in physical combat w/o feat investment.
RP-wise, it's challenging to fit into the world of humanoids.

Let's take other classes for example:
Martial adepts: you won't get the signature weapon of your chosen discipline if using the tail to hold weapons is off the equation (something that I vote in favor of btw).
Binder: Drawing seals - a challenge.
Incarnum: Where are all your chakras located exactly?
Bard: No benefiting from masterwork instruments.
Rogue: Good luck disabling traps, using items,m climbing and tying knots w/o hands.
Psionics: Crystals... ?

I could go on and on.
This race is a challenge to play no mater where you'd take it. Especially if you're starting from level 1.
Not saying that it would be less fun to play, but in the big picture, its advantages don't outweigh its restrictions and challenges.

DeTess
2020-05-01, 01:15 PM
Its lack of slots is irrelevant (or near irrelevant) in any game that runs significantly lower than standard WBL, or sticks to low levels and low magic, such as an e6 game.

Regarding natural weapons, it can quite explicitly use weapons like anyone else (with the exception of dual-wielding), so I don't see why you're comparing its natural weapons to manufactured weapons. It is also said to be able to manipulate objects using its tail, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to write or use a book. And even if it couldn't, wizard has plenty of bookless acf's.

That's not my main point though. My main point is that, numbers-wise, it's above par for an LA+0 race, and if the argument that it is balanced is because you need to be careful with class selection to play around its hand-lessness, then the race just tries to be balanced by being annoying/difficult to play, which doesn't work. There are other races with a bonus to charisma, but afaik, all LA+0 races have penalties to other stats to balance things out. If this race had, for example, -2 penalties to strength and constitution, I wouldn't be particularly bothered by those bonuses to dex and cha at all.

nonsi
2020-05-01, 01:54 PM
Its lack of slots is irrelevant (or near irrelevant) in any game that runs significantly lower than standard WBL, or sticks to low levels and low magic, such as an e6 game.

While e6 does have its fan base, the majority don’t practice it.

Regarding natural weapons, it can quite explicitly use weapons like anyone else (with the exception of dual-wielding), so I don't see why you're comparing its natural weapons to manufactured weapons. It is also said to be able to manipulate objects using its tail, so I don't see why it wouldn't be able to write or use a book.

Post #2 implies that the option might be dropped and other nerfings are on the way.

One of my favourite monsters, now as a PC race.

To Do:
-If overpowered, change type to magical beast/fey/aberration to remove weapon proficiencies, +/- add "Mortal" subtype (limiting alter self shenanigans to humanoid forms, rendering susceptible to charm person etc.)
-Didn't give ethereal jaunt, telepathy, psionics, UMD etc and should probably discard the Growth feats

I’m for forther gear restriction, including susceptibility in mortal form, but against discarding Growth. Couatl is Large sized as a monster.

And even if it couldn't, wizard has plenty of bookless acf's.

Structures, tattoos and tokens (CArc, p.186,187) I know.
Do dive into those pages and tell me how trivial things are gonna be.

That's not my main point though. My main point is that, numbers-wise, it's above par for an LA+0 class, and if the argument that it is balanced is because you need to be careful with class selection to play around its hand-lessness, then the class just tries to be balanced by being annoying/difficult to play, which doesn't work. There are other races with a bonus to charisma, but afaik, all LA+0 races have penalties to other stats to balance things out. If this race had, for example, -2 penalties to strength and constitution, I wouldn't be particularly bothered by those bonuses to dex and cha at all.

1. The game is more than just numbers.
2. It doesn’t intentionally bring anything annoying. Those are just the consequences (by-products) of the race’s design.
3. There isn’t a single Medium-sized snake on earth that’s not physically powerful and durable. Your suggestion would make things less credible.
4. Assigning penalties to Int or Wis will also go against everything that the Couatl “transmits” according to Aztec myth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl) – the inspiration for the creature.

To this point I’m not convinced that playing a couatlfolk would have more advanates than challenges compared to other races.
It does have evolution options that make it interesting, but there are way better optimization tactics than this race, if char-op is your goal.

DeTess
2020-05-01, 02:25 PM
So, first of all, if the creature loses the ability to manipulate things using its tail, it'll become pretty much unplayable except in one particular niche (sorcerer). In which case you might as well just create a couatl-class, rather than a race. I think that change would be really bad, and would serve to further unbalance it, rather than function as any sort of balancing mechanism.

Structures, tattoos and tokens (CArc, p.186,187) I know.
Do dive into those pages and tell me how trivial things are gonna be.

Tattoos might be doable, especially if you've got someone to help you. Tokens definitely are, given that there's no rules on the precision or artistic merit or size of the engravings. There's also eidetic spellcaster, though that's dragon magazine content.

1. The game is more than just numbers.

I believe the opposite, that the rules of the game are only numbers. Anything beyond that is up to the DM. A DM could decide that being a flying snake has certain social troubles. A DM can also decide that humans are discriminated against, while flying snakes are considered normal.

3. There isn’t a single Medium-sized snake on earth that’s not physically powerful and durable. Your suggestion would make things less credible.
4. Assigning penalties to Int or Wis will also go against everything that the Couatl “transmits” according to Aztec myth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl) – the inspiration for the creature.

According to Aztec myth, the creature should be way more powerful than it is described here, but then again, if we go by Tolkien's elves, than the stats of Elves in DnD are way too low. The point of translating a creature to the game means balancing it to the game. If you don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to get it to LA+0, instead balance it to LA+1.

Anyway, I think I've made all the points I wanted to make. Going around in circles arguing won't help anyone. The OP has my insights and yours, he can decide what to do with it.

nonsi
2020-05-01, 03:34 PM

Going around in circles arguing won't help anyone. The OP has my insights and yours, he can decide what to do with it.

I don’t see this exchange as a contest of who comes on top.
Sometimes these exchanges are exactly the deep-digging that’s needed to truly figure things out and expose all the angles.

So, first of all, if the creature loses the ability to manipulate things using its tail, it'll become pretty much unplayable except in one particular niche (sorcerer). In which case you might as well just create a couatl-class, rather than a race. I think that change would be really bad, and would serve to further unbalance it, rather than function as any sort of balancing mechanism.

That’s definitely something to take into account, but at least on the martial side this race does have evolution feats that might take it quite a long way and grant it some unique and effective combat options, if you could find a way to deal with DR (Greater Magic Weapon comes to mind).
Rogue is also an option if one’s to postpone tinkering and climbing sheer walls to 3rd level and on. Feat taxes are less painful to martials than they’re to spellcasters.
Mystic Theurge is not the best char-op, but with some patience you could unlock an interesting character that can dance back and forth between arcane and divine.

Tattoos might be doable, especially if you've got someone to help you. Tokens definitely are, given that there's no rules on the precision or artistic merit or size of the engravings. There's also eidetic spellcaster, though that's dragon magazine content.

I’m not saying that I’m against them, just that they’d serve as workarounds, not char-op tools.
The point is that the character is not supposed to be OP when the dust settles.

I believe the opposite, that the rules of the game are only numbers. Anything beyond that is up to the DM. A DM could decide that being a flying snake has certain social troubles. A DM can also decide that humans are discriminated against, while flying snakes are considered normal.

True, but a more informative testcase is using “normal” campaigns.

According to Aztec myth, the creature should be way more powerful than it is described here, but then again, if we go by Tolkien's elves, than the stats of Elves in DnD are way too low. The point of translating a creature to the game means balancing it to the game. If you don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to get it to LA+0, instead balance it to LA+1.

That’s definitely something for the OP to consider.
And I agree. The OP has enough to work with by now.

rferries
2020-05-02, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! A lot of good suggestions nonsi (edited Change Shape, deleted Greater Growth, etc), I've incorporated some of them. To respond to specific ones:

"Couatlfolk" is definitely an unwieldy name, it's basically just the naming convention I've fallen into for most of my homebrew races. "Quetzals" or somesuch could be an alternative.

The bite damage was based off the standardised Pathfinder natural weapon damage by size, which I cling to religiously especially given how much 3.5 weapon damage varies haha. I like your inherent scaling poison suggestion but in the interests of keeping the LA low I'm actually converting the bite into an additional feat tax.

Re: biting and/or tail slapping during constriction - this was definitely part of the intent, via the Grab/Multigrab feats to make that possible, I've added a note about suggested feats to make that more explicit.

Re: Couatl Sorcery - the intent is that the domain/cleric spells are treated as though they were on the sorcerer list for you, so that you can learn them if you're a sorcerer (much like the actual couatl monster).

Also, take Monstrous Martial with my blessings! And thanks for remembering the Jack-O'-Lantern Sorcerer (I'm surprised I didn't call them Pumpkinfolk haha).

A few more questions that came to mind:
1. Aren’t they significantly less powerful in mortal form, especially if they take certain Couatl feats?
2. How do they handle material components for spells in their natural form? If at all.
3. What about reproduction and aging? How does that go?

1. It's a tradeoff - couatl form allows constriction etc, but mortal form allows standard magic item slots and martial builds (and saves cost on gear). In the latter case you'd save your feat slot for ones that help manufactured weapons.
2. They can use their tail to manipulate components, and I've added Eschew Material Components as a bonus feat option (like the official couatl).
3. I always prefer the idea that anything "magical" (certainly outsiders, but also basically anything other than animals, humanoids, or vermin) has no aging penalties or maximum age, but there's definitely room to put one's own spin on it e.g. standard humanoid aging, dragon-like age categories, etc. Reproduction is similarly up to the individual DM - maybe they're generated by their racial deity, maybe they lay eggs, maybe they can interbreed with humanoids (via Change Shape) to produce aasimar or half-celestial or even yuan-ti (!) offspring, etc.

I always seem to land in the spot of "too good for LA +0, not good enough for LA +1" haha. I definitely wanted the race to be the former, but it's looking like I'll have to go for the latter. In hindsight you're quite right that the weapon/magic item slot drawbacks are probably unbalanced - either they won't matter for some builds (e.g. sorcerer) or they'll cripple others (e.g. Two-Weapon Fighting).

So, I've added LA +1, an additional stat boost (+2 Wisdom), and a bonus thematic feat.

Thanks again both of you for the kind words and helpful critiques!

nonsi
2020-05-02, 01:56 PM
What if instead of nixing Greater Growth, you'd tie both Growth and Greater Growth to BAB instead of character level? (putting a requirement of BAB +16 on the latter)
That way martials will have a distinct advantage over spellcaters, which will have Greater Growth permanently out of their reach.
It shouldn't even break suspension of disbelief, because some reptiles are known to have tremendous growth potential (e.g. crocodiles can reach a staggering length of 20' and weigh over a metric ton).

rferries
2020-05-03, 06:13 AM
What if instead of nixing Greater Growth, you'd tie both Growth and Greater Growth to BAB instead of character level? (putting a requirement of BAB +16 on the latter)
That way martials will have a distinct advantage over spellcaters, which will have Greater Growth permanently out of their reach.
It shouldn't even break suspension of disbelief, because some reptiles are known to have tremendous growth potential (e.g. crocodiles can reach a staggering length of 20' and weigh over a metric ton).

That's a clever workaround! I'm debating editing the benefits of the feat as well (should come with a Con/Str/Dex adjustment but it's obviously hard to tie it all to one feat). I'll have a rethink.